Home > Archives > CIBA11
Evaluating Foliar Responses of Sunflower Genotypes under Drought Stress
Authors(9) :-Veli PEKCAN, Goksel EVCI, M. Ibrahim YILMAZ, Yasemin EKMEKCI, Ozlem ARSLAN, Sekure CULHA ERDAL, A. Suna BALKAN NALCAIYI, Nuran CICEK, Yalcin KAYA
As a summer crop, sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.) is influences commonly by drought stress due to growing generally in rain fed regions without irrigation. Drought affects severely not only seed yield both also other important yield traits which plays important roles on yield formation in sunflower. Therefore, drought resistance became one of the most important goals in the sunflower breeding programs in the world. The study was conducted to determine drought tolerance levels of sunflower genotypes under controlled environmental conditions in Edirne which is a border city in Trakya region which is European part of Turkey and has about 50% of Turkish sunflower production areas. Sunflower restores lines which developed in National Project were evaluated foliar responses against drought stress. Based on study results, the most affected foliar trait was leaf area and it was reduced until 75%. Similarly, leaf number of plants also influenced severely especially from earlier droughts and plants responded about 60% leaf number decreases. On the other hand, on the chlorophyll content of plant leaves, sunflower genotypes responded differently both in earlier (R.3) and later (R.5.1) plant growth stages. While chlorophyll content of sunflower lines increased about 40-50%, some of them decreased about 30%. Similarly, sunflower genotypes responded differently drought stress in their foliar traits depending on when stress applied early or late. As results, sunflower genotypes had different tolerance to drought and higher tolerant ones will be considered to develop tolerant hybrids and will be used as initial material for further breeding purposes.
Veli PEKCAN, Goksel EVCI, M. Ibrahim YILMAZ, Yasemin EKMEKCI, Ozlem ARSLAN, Sekure CULHA ERDAL, A. Suna BALKAN NALCAIYI, Nuran CICEK, Yalcin KAYA
Environmental Conditions, SPAD, Total Stress Response Index, Drought Response Index ,Seed , crops, Drought Stress
- Kaya, Y., Jocic , S., Miladinovic, D. (2012). Sunflower. Gupta, S.K. (Ed.), Technological Innovations in Major World Oil Crops, 1, Springer Press, pp. 85–129.
- Serbea, M., Vranceanu A, V., Petcu, E., Micuþ, G. (1995). Physiological response of sunflower drought stresses plants. Proc. of International Congress on Integrated Studies on Drought Tolerance of Higher Plants. France S–IX 10.
- Merrien A, Blanchet R, Gelfi N, Laurent J (1981) Relationships between water supply, leaf area development and survival, and production in sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.). Agronomie 1: 917–922.
- Petcu, E. A. Arsintescu, D. Stanciu. (2001). The Effect of Hydric Stress On Some Characteristics of Sunflower Plants. Romanian Agricultural Research. 16: 15-22.
- Orta, A. H., T. Erdem, Y. Erdem. (2002). Determination of Water Stress Index in Sunflower. Helia, 25 (37): 27-38.
- Hemmati, M. H., A. Soleymani. (2014). A Study about Some Physiological Indices of Sunflower Growth under Drought Stress. International Journal of Advanced Biological and Biomedical Research. 2(3): 553-563.
- Fereres, E. C., Gimenen, J., Berengan, J., Fernendez J. M., Dominguez. J. (1983). Genetic variability of sunflower cultivars in response to drought, Helia. 6:17-21.
- Goksoy, A.T., Demir, A.O., Turan, Z.M., Dagustu, N. (2004). Responses of sunflower to full and limited irrigation at different growth stages. Field Crops Research, 87:167-178.
- Rengel D, Arribat S, Maury P, Martin-Magniette M-L, Hourlier T, Laporte M. (2012). A Gene-Phenotype Network Based on Genetic Variability for Drought Responses Reveals Key Physiological Processes in Controlled and Natural Environments. PLoS ONE 7(10): 1-19.
- Sharp, R.E., Boyer, J.S. (1986). Photosynthesis at low water potentials in sunflower: lack of photosinhibitory effects. Plant Physiol., 82: 90–95.
- Talha, M., Osman, F. (1975). Effect of soil water stress on water economy and oil composition in sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.). Journal of Agricultural Science of Cambridge, 84: 49–56.
- Dehkhoda, A., M. R. Naderidarbaghshahi, A. Rezaei, B. Majdnasiri. (2013). Effect of Water Deficiency Stress on Yield and Yield Component of Sunflower Cultivars in Isfahan. International Journal of Farm and All. Sci. 2 (S2): 1319-1324.
- Safavi, S. M., A. S. Safavi, S. A. Safavi. (2015). Evaluation of drought Tolerance in Sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.) Inbred Lines and Synthetic Varieties under Non Stress and Drought Stress Conditions. Biological Forum – An International Journal 7(1): 1849-1854.
- Karam F., Lahoud R., Masaad R., Kabalan R, Breidi J, Chalita, C., Rouphael, Y. (2007). Evapotranspiration, seed yield and water use efficiency of drip irrigated sunflower under full and deficit irrigation conditions. Agricultural Water Management, 90: 213-223.
- Sadras VO, Villalobos FJ, Fereres E. (1993). Leaf expansion in field grown sunflower in response to soil and leaf water status. Agronomy Journal, 85:590-611.
- Sanjose JJ, Cabrera M. (1989). Biproduction and leaf area development sunflower II: Quantitative relationship in Savanna dry season. Field Crop Abstract, 42: 803-809.
- Nezami, A., H.R. Khazaei, Z. Boroumand and A. Hosseini, (2008). Effects of drought stress and defoliation on sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.) in controlled conditions. Desert, 12: 99‒104.
- Canavar, O., K. P. Götz, F. Ellmer, F. M. Chmielewski, M. A. Kaynak. (2014).Determination of the relationship between water use efficiency, carbon isotope discrimination and proline in sunflower genotypes under drought stress. Australian Journal of Crop Science. 8(2): 232-242.
- Oraki, H., F. Parhizkar Khajani, M. Aghalikhana. (2012). Effect of water deficit stress on proline contents, soluble sugars, chlorophyll and grain yield of sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.) hybrids. African Journal of Biotechnology, 11(1):164-168.
- Casadebaig, P., Debaeke, P., Lecoeur, J. (2008) Thresholds for leaf expansion and transpiration response to soil water deficit in a range of sunflower genotypes. European Journal of Agronomy 28: 646–654.
- Nazarli, H., M. R. Zardashti, R. Darviıshzadeh, S. Najafi. (2010). The Effect of Water Stress and Polymer on Water Use Efficiency, Yield and several Morphological Traits of Sunflower under Greenhouse Condition. Notulae Scientia Biologicae. 2 (4): 53-58.
- S. K. Singh, G. K. Surabhi, W. Gao, K. R. Reddy. (2008). Assessing genotypic variability of cowpea (Vigna unguiculata [L.] Walp.) to current and projected ultraviolet-B radiation. Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B: Biology. 71–81.
- Pekcan, V., G. Evci, M. I. Yilmaz, A. S. Balkan Nalcaiyi, Ş. Çulha Erdal, N. Cicek, Y. Ekmekci, Kaya, Y. (2015). Effects of Drought on Morphological Traits of some Sunflower Lines. Proc. of 2nd International Plant Breeding Congress. 1-5 November, Antalya, Turkey. 158
Published in : Volume 1 | Issue 6 | CIBA - Conference Proceeding 2015
Date of Publication : 2017-06-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 54-63
Manuscript Number : CIBA11
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Veli PEKCAN, Goksel EVCI, M. Ibrahim YILMAZ, Yasemin EKMEKCI, Ozlem ARSLAN, Sekure CULHA ERDAL, A. Suna BALKAN NALCAIYI, Nuran CICEK, Yalcin KAYA, "Evaluating Foliar Responses of Sunflower Genotypes under Drought Stress", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 1, Issue 6, pp.54-63, CIBA - Conference Proceeding-2015
URL : http://ijsrst.com/CIBA11