Home > Archives > CIBA17
Effects of the Glyphosate Application on the Physio-Biochemical Parameters of Xanthoria parietina
Authors(6) :-AIT KACI MAZARI, Belhoucine Fatma, Alioua Amel, Bentayeb Kamel, ABISMAIL Youcef, Tchouar Norredine
The extended use of Glyphosate as herbicide in weed’s control can lead to the damage of the ecosystem. Ecological indicators can be used as early warning signals to assess the environmental problems. In order to evaluate the performance of the lichen as an air pollution bio monitoring, we investigated if treatment of the lichen Xanthoria parietina with Glyphosate causes bio physiological alterations. In this respect, the effect of various herbicide doses on the lichen’s bio physiology was tested in the laboratory during 7 days under controlled conditions. Samples of lichen, naturally grown, were collected from different forest’s sites and were treated at the recommended doses as well as with double doses. The findings have shown a clear reduction in the photosynthetic pigments. Of particular importance in this respect, are the pigments chlorophyll (a), (b), (a+b) and carotenoid. However, an increase in the total protein, sugar and proline products levels was observed. Finally this study shows that Xanthoria parietina is an appropriate organism for the bio monitoring of undesirable effects of the Glyphosate.
AIT KACI MAZARI, Belhoucine Fatma, Alioua Amel, Bentayeb Kamel, ABISMAIL Youcef, Tchouar Norredine
Biomonitoring, Lichen, Glyphosate, Herbicide, Air Pollution.
- Green, S. (2003). A review of the potential for the use of bioherbicides to control forest weeds in the UK. Forestry, 76(3), 285-298.
- He, M., Nie, Y. F., & Xu, P. (2003). A T42M substitution in bacterial 5-enolpyruvylshikimate-3-phosphate synthase (EPSPS) generates enzymes with increased resistance to glyphosate. Bioscience, biotechnology, and biochemistry, 67(6), 1405-1409.
- Fedrowitz, K. (2011). Insights into the Ecology and Genetics of Lichens with a Cyanobacterial Photobiont (Vol. 2011, No. 96).
- Chettri, M. K., Cook, C. M., Vardaka, E., Sawidis, T., & Lanaras, T. (1998). The effect of Cu, Zn and Pb on the chlorophyll content of the lichens Cladonia convoluta and Cladonia rangiformis. Environmental and Experimental Botany, 39(1), 1-10.
- Mascher, R., Lipmann, B., Holzinger, S., Bergmann, H. 2002. Arsenate toxicity: effects on oxidative stress response molecules and enzymes in red clover plants. Plant Science, 163, 961-969.
- Silberstein, L., & Galun, M. (1988). Spectrophotometric estimation of chlorophyll in lichens containing anthraquinones in relation to air pollution assessments. Environmental and experimental botany, 28(2), 145-150.
- Chaillou, S., Morot-Gaudry, J. F., Salsac, L., Lesaint, C., & Jolivet, E. (1986). Compared effects of NO3-and NH4+ on growth and metabolism of French bean. Physiol. vég, 24, 679-687.
- De Raissac, M. (1992). Mécanismes d'adaptation à la sécheresse et maintien de la productivité des plantes cultivées. L'agronomie tropicale, 46(1), 29-39.
- Xiao, W., Sheen, J., & Jang, J. C. (2000). The role of hexokinase in plant sugar signal transduction and growth and development. Plant molecular biology, 44(4), 451-461.
Published in : Volume 1 | Issue 6 | CIBA - Conference Proceeding 2015
Date of Publication : 2017-06-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 96-98
Manuscript Number : CIBA17
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
AIT KACI MAZARI, Belhoucine Fatma, Alioua Amel, Bentayeb Kamel, ABISMAIL Youcef, Tchouar Norredine, "Effects of the Glyphosate Application on the Physio-Biochemical Parameters of Xanthoria parietina
", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 1, Issue 6, pp.96-98, CIBA - Conference Proceeding-2015
URL : http://ijsrst.com/CIBA17