Home > Archives > IJSRST1173813
Studies on seasonal and habitat variations in serum biochemical composition of Labeo boga
Authors(3) :-Roopma Gandotra, Monika Sharma, Sapana Jangral
The present study focussed on determining the stress response of fish to the changing season and habitat. The biochemical determinants were analysed in the fish from the two distinct sections(upstream and downstream section) of River Tawi. Results obtained revealed the significant(p<0.05) stress response of fish in the section 2(downstream polluted section) as compared to the section 1(upstream non polluted section) and hence indicated the degrading condition of section 2 as compared to section 1. Physico-chemical analyses of water was conducted which revealed the degraded status of section 2 as reflected from pH and DO content observations for section 2 as compared to section 1. Glucose content in fish serum at section 1 ranged from 51.99±0.04mg/dl 112.31±0.04mg/dl while for the section 2, glucose content ranged from 61.69±0.04mg/dl 121.54±0.04mg/dl. Also, Cholesterol concentration ranged from 141.00±0.06mg/dl199.40±0.01mg/dl for section1;while 159.54±0.05mg/dl 232.50±0.02mg/dl for section 2. Alkaline Phosphatase, SGOT, SGPT content also showed variation in fish serum between the two sections. The values obtained for the Alkaline phosphatase, SGOT and SGPT for the section 1 ranged from 62.00±0.02U/L 97.32±0.02U/L, 19.50±0.01U/L 34.30±0.04U/L and 20.20±0.02U/L 36.84±0.06U/L respectively; however for the section 2 their values ranged from 76.54±0.01U/L 130.52±0.01U/L, 29.80± 0.05U/L- 39.50±0.03U/L and 29.50±0.03U/L 43.25±0.01U/L respectively. LDH content also observed to be higher in Section 2 than the section 1 for whole studied period. These studied biochemical parameters also showed significant variation with the changing season, showing the maximum stress response during the summer months when the aquatic conditions were not favourable. Thus from the results , it can be concluded that such observed variations in serum biochemical constituents reflected the stress response of fish and thus can be used to assess the health of habitat and fish.
Roopma Gandotra, Monika Sharma, Sapana Jangral
Genetic diversity, Microsatellites, Sheep, Sustainable breeding
- APHA? (1985). Standard methods? for the examination of water and wastewater. American? Public? Health Association. Sixteenth edition Washington, DC, 1-541
- Atef MM (2005). Biochemical effects of short term cadmium exposure on the fresh water fish , Oreochromis niloticus. Biol. Sci. , 5:260-265
- Bergmeyer? HV, Horder M? and Rej? R (1986). Approved recommendation on IFCC? method? for Glutamate Oxalo-acetate transaminase and Glutamate pyruvate transaminase. Journal of Clinical Chemistry and Clinical Biochemistry, 24: 481-489
- Borges A, Scotti L V, Siqueira D R, Zanini R , Amaral F, Jurinitz D F and Wasserman? G F(2007). Changes in hematological and serum? biochemical values in Jundia R. quelen due to sublethal toxicity of cypermethrin. Chemosphere; 69:920-926
- Borkovic SS , Pavlovic SZ, Kovacevic TB Tajn AS , Petrovic VM and Saicic ZS (2008). Antioxidant defence enzyme activities in hepatopancreas , gills and muscle of spiny cheek crayfish (Orconectes limosus) from the River Danube. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. Part C Toxicol. Pharmacol. 147:122-128.
- Bucher F and Hofer R(1990). Effect of domestic wastewater on serum enzyme activities of brown trout(Salmo truta) . Comp. Biochem. Physiol;97:385-390.
- carpio exposed to chloropyrifos. Int. J. integr. Biol., 3:80-86.
- Chandra S(1986). Serum cholesterol levels of 22 species of fresh water fishes . Int. j. Acad. Ichthyol ;3:13-16.
- Correl NV and Langley? RW (1956). Glycogen determination in liver and muscle by use of anthrone? reagent. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 26: 583-593.
- Das BK and Mukherjee SC(2003). Toxicity of Cypermethrin in Labeo rohita fingerlings: biochemical , enzymatic and haematological consequences. Comp. Biochem physiol, 134:109-121.
- Dobsikova R, Svobodova Z , Blahova J, Modra H and Velisek J (2006). Stress response to long distance transportation of common carp(Cyprinus carpio.) Acta. Vet. Brno; 75:437-448.
- Fazio F, Marafioti S, Torre A , Sanfilippo? M, Panzera M and Faggio C(2013). Haematological and serum protein profiles of Mugilcephalus:effect of two different habitats. Ichthyol. Res.60:36-42.
- Gabriel, V V, Ezeri? G N O. and Opabunmi, O O(2004). Influence of sex source health status and acclimation on haematological of Clarias gariepinus. Afri. J. Biotech., 3: 463-468.
- Goel KA and Maya (1986). Haematological anomalies in Clarias batrachus under the stress of rogor . Ad. Bios, 5:187-192
- Hillmann? GZ? (1971). Continuous?? photometric measurement of prostrate acid? phosphatase,
- Jee JH , Masroor F , Kang JC (2005). Responses of Cypermethrin induced stress in haematological parameters of Korean rock fish, Sebastes schlegeli(Hildengorf).Aqua C Res, 36:898-905.
- Joyee SR , Venkesteshwarlu VP , Janaiah C (1989). Alteration in amino-transfreases of fresh water fish Clarias batrachus after exposure to trichlorofan. Environ. Ecol, 7(4):930-932.
- Kohanestani ZM, Hajimoradloo A , Ghorbani R , Yulghi S , Hoseini A and Molaee M(2013). Seasonal variations in hematological parametersof Alburnoides eichwaldii in Zaringol Stream-Golestan Province, Iran. World. J. Fish. Mari. Sci. 5: 121-1262
- Kumar P, Palanivel S , Mathan R and Sarasu(2011). Sublethal effects of Chromium on some Biochemical profiles of the fresh water Teleost , Cyprinus carpio. International Journal of Applied Biology and Pharmaceutical Technology.2(1)
- Mandal R , Mandal D , Mishra N and Bahadur A(2010). Effect of surfactants on phosphatase level of fresh water Labeo rohita . J. Environ. Biol , 31:395-398
- Maruthanayagam? C and Sharmila G (2004). Haematobiochemical variations induced by the pesticide , Monocrotophos in Cyprinus carpio during the exposure and recovery periods. Nat.Environ .Poll. Tech, 3:491-494
- McDonald M D and Grosell M (2006). Maintaining osmotic balance with an aglomerular kidney.
- Menezes? S , Soraes A M V M , Guilhermino L and Peck M R(2006). Biomarker responses of the estuarine brown shrimp Crangon crangon L. to nontoxic stressor:temperature, salinity and handling stress effects. J. exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 335: 114-122
- Omoregie E, Ofodike E B C , keke R I (1990). Tissue chemistry of O. niloticus exposed to the sublethal concentration of Gammalin-20 and Acetellice 25EC. J. Aquat. Sci; 5:33-36
- Osman AGM(2013). Biochemical and Physiological Biomarkers in Aquatic Environmental Research. Proceedings of Basic and Applied sciences , Hurghada , Egypt. 1(1).
- Qadir S, Latif A , Ali M and Iqbal F (2014). Effects of Imidacloprid on the haematological and serm biochemical profile of Labeo rohita. Pakistan J. Zool 46(4): 1085-1090.
- Rajan MR (1990). Acid and alkaline Phosphatase activity in different tissues of Labeo rohita(Hamilton) in relation to sublethal concentration of domestic sewage. J. Nat Conser., 2(2):121-131.
- Ramesh, M. and Saravanan, M (2008). Haematologicaland biochemical responses in freshwater fish Cyprinus
- Shalaby AME (2009). The opposing effects of Ascorbic acid (Vitamin c) on ochratoxin toxicity in Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus). http://www.ag.arizona.edu/ista/ista6web/pdf/209.pdf. Rterieved: 05-04 -09.
- Singh H S and Reddy T V (1990).Effect of copper sulphate on hematology, blood chemistry and hematosomatic index of an Indian catfish Heteropnuestes fossilis and it’s recovery. Ecotoxic Environ Sat; 20:30-35
- Singh S, Rawat RS , Singh S and Sharma NN(2016). Studies on the liver marker enzymes (SGOT and SGPT) of fish Heteropnuestes fossilis (Bloch.) after famfos Intoxication . Journal of Advanced Research in Biology.
- Stadman TC (1957). Preparation and assay of cholesterol and ergasterol . In:? Colonick SP and???? Kaplan NO, (Eds) “Method Enzymology”. 3( 39). Academic Press , New York
- Tondon R S and Joshi B D(1995). Studies on the physiology of blood of some fresh water fishes of India . Normal blood glucose and lactic acid levels. J. Indian Fish Soc. India;7:1-6.
- transaminases of goldfish (Carassius auratus gibelio Bloch) exposed to cadmium. Physiol. Res. 50: 105-111.
- Venkataramana G V, Rani S and Murthy P S(2006). Impact of malathion on the biochemical parameters of gobiid fish, Glossogobius aiuris(Ham). J. Environ. Biol;27:119-122
- Verma SR, Kumar V and Dalela RC (1981). Acute toxicity of three newly formu;lated pesticides to fish Mystus vittatus . Ind. J. Environ. Health , 23:215-221
- Wells RM , Mcintyre RH , Morgan AK and Davis PS(1996). Physiological stress response in big gamefish after exposure: Observations on plasma chemistry and blood factors. Comp Biochen Physiol, 84:565-571.
- Yang J and Chen H C(2003). Effects of gallium on common carp , Cyprinus carpio ; Acute test serum biochemistry and erythrocyte morphology . Chemosphere; 53:877-882.
- Yousef? M I, El-Demerdash F M, Kamel K I and Al-Salhen K S(2007).Changes in some hematological and biochemical? indices of rabbits induced by isoflavones and cypermethrin. Toxicology; 189:23-234
- Zikic R V ,Stajn S (2001 ). Activities of superoxide dismutase and catalase in erythrocyte and plasma alkaline phospatase activity. Z. Klin. Chem. Klin .Biochem, 9: 273.
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 8 | November-December 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-12-31
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 194-204
Manuscript Number : IJSRST1173813
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Roopma Gandotra, Monika Sharma, Sapana Jangral, "Studies on seasonal and habitat variations in serum biochemical composition of Labeo boga ", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 8, pp.194-204, November-December-2017
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST1173813