Home > Archives > IJSRST15117
Performance Comparison of AODV/DSR On-Demand Routing Protocols for Ad Hoc Networks
Authors(2) :-Bhavesh Kataria, Jethva Harikrishna
Ad hoc networks are characterized by multihop wireless connectivity, frequently changing network topology and the need for efficient dynamic routing protocols. I compare the performance of two prominent on demand routing protocols for mobile ad hoc networks—Dynamic Source Routing (DSR) and Ad Hoc On-Demand Distance Vector Routing (AODV). We demonstrate that even though DSR and AODV share similar on-demand behaviour, the differences in the protocol mechanics can lead to significant performance differentials. The AODV out-perform DSR in the normal situation but in the constrained situation DSR out-performs AODV, the degradation is as severe as (30%) in AODV whereas DSR degrades marginally (10%) as observed through simulation .
Bhavesh Kataria, Jethva Harikrishna
Ad hoc networks, routing protocols, mobile networks, wireless networks, simulation, performance evaluation, AODV, DSR
- Charles E.Perkins. Ad hoc Networking, Addison-Wesley,2001
- C.K.Toh, Ad Hoc Mobile Wireless Networks: Protocols and Systems, Prentice Hall PTR,2002
- C.Perkins,E.Belding Royer and S.Das. Ad hoc on demand distance vector (AODV) routing. http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3561txt, July 2003 IETF RFC 3561.
- C. Perkins, “Ad hoc on demand distance vector (AODV) routing,” citeseer.nj.nec.com/article/perkins99ad.html, Nov. 1997.
- David Johnson, David Maltz and Yin-Chun Hu. The dynamic source routing protocol for mobile ad hoc networks. http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-manet-dsr-10.txt, July 2004.IETF Internet Draft(work in progress).
- “Network Simulator,” http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns.
- Rajiv Misra and C. R. Mandal, "Performance Comparison of AODV/DSR On-demand Routing Protocols for Ad Hoc Networks",in Constrained Situation, Proceedings of 7th IEEE International Conference on Personal Wireless Communications (ICPWC-2005).
- S.R.Das,C.E.Perkins, and E.M.Royer, “Performance comparison of two on-demand routing protocols for ad hoc networks, in Proc. INFOCOM 2000, pp3-12.
Published in : Volume 1 | Issue 1 | March-April 2015
Date of Publication : 2015-04-25
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 20-30
Manuscript Number : IJSRST15117
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Bhavesh Kataria, Jethva Harikrishna, "Performance Comparison of AODV/DSR On-Demand Routing Protocols for Ad Hoc Networks", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 1, Issue 1, pp.20-30, March-April-2015
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST15117