Home > Archives > IJSRST15121
Face Recognition as a Biometric Security for Secondary Password for ATM Users. A Comprehensive Review
Authors(1) :-Lusekelo Kibona
Authentication is an important aspect in system control in computer based communication. Automatic Teller Machines (ATMs) are widely used in our daily lives due to their convenience, wide-spread availability and time-independent operation. In this paper, the author tried to review some mechanisms used in dealing with security threat posed to ATM users and found that there are potential threats associated with using card based security system so there is a need to add up another secondary security after the primary stage has been passed and that secondary stage is facial recognition security system as explained in an algorithm developed in this paper. The recommendations for future biometric system has been suggested like smell from mouth breathing be considered as the future secondary security system even though it has got its challenges.
ATM, ATM cards, Face recognition, Biometric security, banking systems.
- A. Jain, L. Hong, and S. Pankanti, "Biometric identification," Communications of the ACM, vol. 43, pp. 90-98, 2000.
- A. Ogunsemor, "Banking services: The emergence and impact of electronic banking," The Nigerian Banker, pp. 2006-1781, 1992.
- A. S. Adepoju and M. E. Alhassan, "Challenges of Automated Teller Machine (ATM) Usage and Fraud Occurrences in Nigeria - A Case Study of Selected Banks in Minna Metropolis," Journal of Internet Banking and Commerce, vol. 15, pp. 1-10, 2010.
- E. Derman, Y. K. Gecici, and A. A. Salah, "Short term face recognition for Automatic Teller Machine (ATM) users," in Electronics, Computer and Computation (ICECCO), 2013 International Conference on, 2013, pp. 111-114.
- S. M. Satone and G. Kharate, "Face detection and recognition in color images," IJCSI, p. 467, 2011.
- O. E. Aru and I. Gozie, "Facial Verification Technology for Use In Atm Transactions," American Journal of Engineering Research (AJER) e-ISSN, pp. 2320-0847.
- K. Delac and M. Grgic, "A survey of biometric recognition methods," in Electronics in Marine, 2004. Proceedings Elmar 2004. 46th International Symposium, 2004, pp. 184-193.
- M. Karovaliya, S. Karedia, S. Oza, and D. Kalbande, "Enhanced Security for ATM Machine with OTP and Facial Recognition Features," Procedia Computer Science, vol. 45, pp. 390-396, 2015.
- R. Ihejiahi, "How to fight ATM fraud online," Nigeria Daily News, p. 18, 2009.
- O. Odidison, "ATM fraud rises: Nigerians groan in Nigeria," Daily News, pp. 8-10, 2009.
- C. E. Anguelov, M. A. Hilgert, and J. M. Hogarth, "US consumers and electronic banking, 1995-2003," Fed. Res. Bull., vol. 90, p. 1, 2004.
- I. Diebold, "ATM fraud and security: White Paper," New York, 2002.
- S. Das and J. Debbarma, "Designing a Biometric Strategy (Fingerprint) Measure for Enhancing ATM Security in Indian e-banking System," International Journal of Information and Communication, 2011.
- J. O. Adeoti, "Automated Teller Machine (ATM) Frauds in Nigeria: The Way Out," Journal of Social Sciences, vol. 27, pp. 53-58, 2011.
- B. S. Raj, "A Third Generation Automated Teller Machine Using Universal Subscriber Module with Iris Recognition," image, vol. 1, 2013.
- K. J. Peter, G. Nagarajan, G. G. S. Glory, V. V. S. Devi, S. Arguman, and K. S. Kannan, "Improving ATM security via face recognition," in Electronics Computer Technology (ICECT), 2011 3rd International Conference on, 2011, pp. 373-376.
- S. Eum, J. K. Suhr, and J. Kim, "Face recognizability evaluation for atm applications with exceptional occlusion handling," in Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Workshops (CVPRW), 2011 IEEE Computer Society Conference on, 2011, pp. 82-89.
- N. Sharma, "Analysis of different vulnerabilities in auto teller machine transactions," Journal of Global Research in Computer Science, vol. 3, pp. 38-40, 2012.
- N. Sharma, "Analysis of vulnerability and security issues over auto teller machine transactions and design of a general security model," 2014.
- J.F. Ehlenbroker, U. Monks, and V. Lohweg, "Surface Fingerprint Detection."
- J. K. Suhr, S. Eum, H. G. Jung, G. Li, G. Kim, and J. Kim, "Recognizability assessment of facial images for automated teller machine applications," Pattern Recognition, vol. 45, pp. 1899-1914, 2012.
- G. N. Odachi, "ATM Technology and Banking System in West African Sub-Region: Prospects and Challenges," African Research Review, vol. 5, 2011.
- J. Breebaart, I. Buhan, K. de Groot, and E. Kelkboom, "Evaluation of a template protection approach to integrate fingerprint biometrics in a PIN-based payment infrastructure," Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, vol. 10, pp. 605-614, 2011.\
- S. Thorat, S. Nayak, and J. P. Dandale, "Facial recognition technology: An analysis with scope in India," arXiv preprint arXiv:1005.4263, 2010.
- S. M. Yoon and S.-C. Kee, "Detection of Partially Occluded Face Using Support Vector Machines," in MVA, 2002, pp. 546-549.
- S. Pravinthraja and K. Umamaheswari, "Multimodal Biometrics for Improving Automatic Teller Machine Security," Bonfring International Journal of Advances in Image Processing, vol. 1, pp. 19-25, 2011.
- K. L. N. Rao, V. Kulkarni, and C. K. Reddy, "Recognition Technique for ATM based on IRIS Technology."
- R. Rasu, P. K. Kumar, and M. Chandraman, "Security for ATM Terminal Using Various Recognition Systems," International Journal of Engineering and Innovative Technology (IJEIT), vol. 2, 2012.
- E. Spinella, "Biometric Scanning Technologies: Finger, Facial and Retinal Scanning," SANS Institute, San Francisco, CA, vol. 28, 2003.
Published in : Volume 1 | Issue 2 | May-June 2015
Date of Publication : 2015-06-25
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 1-8
Manuscript Number : IJSRST15121
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Lusekelo Kibona, "Face Recognition as a Biometric Security for Secondary Password for ATM Users. A Comprehensive Review", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 1, Issue 2, pp.1-8, May-June-2015.
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST15121