Home > Archives > IJSRST151210
Validation of Cholinesterase (Acetyl and Butyryl) Activity Estimation in the Blood and Brain of Wistar Rats
Authors(4) :-Arabinda Adak, Rajesh Eswarappa, Sriram Nagarajan, S. K. Mukhopadhayay
The present study was carried out with an objective to validate the estimation method of both acetylcholinesterase (AChE) and butyrylcholinesterase (BChE) activities in blood and brain tissue of Wistar rats as well as to generate historical control data, based on sizable sample number, for our laboratory. In the present study, the butyrylcholinesterase activity was estimated in plasma and acetylcholinesterase in erythrocytes, plasma and brain tissue in 14 weeks old Wistar rats (male-15, female-15). In brain tissue, the activity of AChE was 1.71Â±0.25 U/g in males and 1.98Â±0.27 U/g in females. In erythrocytes, the activity was 1285.65Â±379.14 U/L in males and 1684.71Â±218.75 U/L in females. The AChE activity in plasma was 440.86Â±71.39 U/L and 495.29 Â± 205.80 U/L in males and females, respectively while the plasma butyrylcholinesterase activity was 59.47 Â± 23.65 U/L in males and 831.35 Â± 174.95 U/L in females. In conclusion, both acetylcholinesterase and butyrylcholinesterase activities seemed to be higher in females than males, in general and the methods used were based on cholinesterase assay kits obtained from M/S Abnova Corporation, Taiwan and M/S Agappe Diagnostics, Kerala, India to estimate AChE and BChE, respectively. These kits were found to be convenient, accurate and sensitive with high throughput for the estimation of AChE and BChE activities in Wistar rats.
Arabinda Adak, Rajesh Eswarappa, Sriram Nagarajan, S. K. Mukhopadhayay
Blood, Brain, Cholinesterase (Acetyl And Butyryl), Wistar Rat
- Appleyard, M. E. (1992). Secreted acetylcholinesterase: non-classical aspects of a classical enzyme. Trends Neurosci. 15: 485-490.
- Ellman, G.L., Courtney, K.D., Andres, V. Jr. and Feather-Stone, R. M. (1961). A new and rapid colormetric determination of acetylcholinesterase activity. Biochem. Pharmaco. 7:88-95.
- Hammond, P. and Brimijoin, S. (1988). Acetylcholinesterase in Huntington’s and Alzheimer’s diseases: Simultaneous enzyme essay and immunoassay of multiple brain regions. J. Neurochem. 50: 1111-1116.
- Magnotti, R. A. (1987). Measurement of acetylcholinesterase in erythrocytes in the field. Clin. Chem. 33/10, 1731-1735.
- Mileson, B.E., Chambers, J.E., Chen, W.L., Dettbarn, W., Ehrich, M., Eldefrawi, A.T., Gaylo, D.W., Hamernik, K., Hodgson, E.H., Karczmar, A.G., Padilla, S., Pope, C.N., Rihardson, R.J., Saunders, D. R., Sheets, L.P., Sultatos, L.G. and Wallace, K.B. (1998). Common mechanism of toxicity: a case study of organophosphorous pesticides. Toxicol. Sciences. 41: 8-20.
- Mileson, B. E. (1999a). Common mechanism of toxicity: evaluation of carbamate pesticides. unpublished report of the international life sciences institute/risk science institute, Washington, DC). March, 2012. Pp.19.
- Ravi, S. M., Prabhu, B.M., Raju, T.R. and Bindu, P.N. (2000). Long-term effects of postnatal aluminium exposure on acetylcholinesterase activity and biogenic amine neurotransmitters in rat brain. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol. 44: 473-478.
- Srikumar, B. N., Ramkumar, K., Raju, T.R., and Shanakranarayana Rao, B.S. (2004). Assay of acetylcholinesterase activity in the brain. Brain and Behaviour. 25:142-144.
- Wilson, B. W., Padilla, S., Henderson, J.D., Brimijoin, S., Dass, P.D, Elliot G., Jaeger, B., Lanz, D., Pearson, R. and Spies, R. (1996). Factors in standardizing automated cholinesterase assays. J. Toxicol. Env. Health. 48:187-195.
Published in : Volume 1 | Issue 4 | September-October 2015
Date of Publication : 2015-11-05
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 255-259
Manuscript Number : IJSRST151210
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Arabinda Adak, Rajesh Eswarappa, Sriram Nagarajan, S. K. Mukhopadhayay, "Validation of Cholinesterase (Acetyl and Butyryl) Activity Estimation in the Blood and Brain of Wistar Rats", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 1, Issue 4, pp.255-259, September-October-2015.
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST151210