Home > Archives > IJSRST151214
Herbomineral Formulations - A Review
Authors(4) :-Rohan R.Vakhariya, Omprasad Nikal, Archana R Dhole, C.S Magdum
Ayurveda has earth-shattering in audience of worldwide on virtue of its holistic approach of life and its fewer side effects. Ayurvedic herbal and herbo-mineral preparations are used for the treatment of chronic and degenerative diseases without any side-effect. Herbo mineral formulation uses the metals and minerals for chronic disorders in different combinations, dosage forms and at various levels of purities. Hence it is very essential to prepare it in a proper way. As per the reported data, there are so many herbo-mineral formulations available in market which is useful in anaemia, diabetes, cancer, liver diseases, skin diseases etc. This review is an attempt to emphasis on the benefits and problems associated with it.
Rohan R.Vakhariya, Omprasad Nikal, Archana R Dhole, C.S Magdum
Cumulative toxicity, Ayurveda, Bhasma, Heavy metals, Herbo-mineral,
- Acharya Caraka, CarakaSamhita, commented by Vaidya JadavjiTrikamji Acharya, Rashtriya Sanskrita Sansthanam; 2002; p 187.
- Acharya Sushruta, Samhita,commented by Vaidya Jadavji Trikamji Acharya, ChaukhambhaOrientalia, Seventh edition; 2002; p 75.
- Valiathan M. S. The Legacy of Caraka, Orient Logman; 2003; p 39-43.
- Acharya Vagbhatta, Rasa Ratna Sammucaya, commented by Dr V A Dole, Chaukhambha Sanskrita Series Office; 2006; p 02.
- Krishna Gopal Bhatt, Rasendra Sara Sangraha, commented by Dr IndraDev Tripathi, Chaukhambha Orientalia; 2003;p 02.
- Dash and KashyapBasic principles of Ayurveda Todarananda - Ayurveda saukhyam seriesNo2Concept publishing houseNew Delhi61.
- Inducing rasayan therapy in our daily routine by DrKrishna RS
- Rege NN, Thatte UM, Dahanukar SA (June 1999)"Adaptogenic properties of six rasayana herbs used in Ayurvedic medicine" Phytother Res13 (4): 275-91.
- RASAYAN: Ayurvedic Herbs of Rejuvenation and LongevityPuri, H.S(2003) Taylor & Francis, London
- Sheikh Raisuddi Ayurvedic Bhasma, In: Scientific basis for Ayurvedic therapies, Edited by Lakshmi Chandra MishraCRC Press LLC2004; 83-100.
- The Ayurvedic formulary of IndiaPart - IIThe controller of Publications Civil linesDelhi2000; 205-206.
- Kumar A, Nair AGC, Reddy AVR, Garg AN Bhasmas - Unique Ayurvedic metallic-herbal preparations, chemical characterization Biological trace element research2006; 109 (3): 231-254
- Paul S and Chugh AAssessing the role of Ayurvedic Bhasma as Ethno- nano-medicine in the Metal Based Nanomedicine Patent RegimeJournal of Intellectual Property Rights2011; 16: 509-511.
- Devanathan RConcept of BhasmikaranaInternational Journal of Research in Ayurveda and Pharmacy2011; 2 (1): 18-23.
- Sheikh Raisuddi Ayurvedic Bhasma, In: Scientific basis for Ayurvedic therapies, Edited by Lakshmi Chandra Mishra CRC Press LLC2004; 83-100.
- Sadanand Sharma, Rasa Tarangini, commented by Kashi Ram Shastri, Motilal Benarasi Das; 2000; p 22.
- Sarkar P K,Chaudhary A K , Role of Milk in Shodhana (Detoxification ) with special reference to Nux Vomica, Aryavaidyan 2007; XX: 2: 100-104.
- Chaudhary RR, Rafei UM Traditional Medicine in AsiaKurup PNV, AyurvedaWorld Health OrganizationNew Delhi2002: 3- 16.
- Prakash VB, Mukherjee AHepato- protective effect of an Ayurvedic formulation Park-20 in CCl4 induced toxicity in rats: results of three studies International Journal of Pharma and clinical research2010; 2 (1): 23-27
- Lone AH, Ahmad T, Mohammad A, Ahmad JTherapeutic evaluation of a Unaniherbomineral formulation in chronic urticaria Journal of Pakistan association of dermatologists2011; 21: 33-37.
- Sultan A, Abdul H, Khan U, Halima N, Mohiuddin E, Akram M and Ibrahim MKScaNeem: Herbo- mineral therapy for scabies Journal of Medicinal Plants Research2011; 5 (24): 5706-5712.
- Rajeev K, Vaibhav S, Monis BS, Venkatesh S and Rima DHerbo- mineral supplementation in men with idiopathic oligoasthenoteratospermia: A double blind randomized placebo-controlled trialIndian Journal of Urology2011; 27 (3): 357-362.
- Vaze ADouble blind comparative trial of herbo-mineral antioxidant formulation with Ubiquinone (coenzyme Q 10) in oligoasthenospermia Available online at - wwwBiogetica.com/clinical research/add yzoa.pdf dated on 7th July, 2012
- Verma PRP, Prasad Standardization and bioavailability of Ayurvedic drug Lauha bhasma part-1 physical and chemical evaluation AncSci Life1995; 15(2): 129-136
- Pattonder RK, Vyas SN, Chandola HM, Harisha CR and Shukla VJStandardization and Quality control of herbo-mineral drug Agnimantha BhavitaShilajatu and TrivritYuktaNavakaGuggulu2010; 2(13): 1-4.
- Pawar RK, Sharma S, Singh KC and Sharma Rajeev KRPhysico- chemical Standardization and Development of HPTLC method for the determination of Plumbagin in Kalmegh NavayasaLoha - An Ayurvedic Formulation2011; 3(1): 43-48.
- Jayawardhane NDN, De Silva RHSK, Tripathi JS, Narasimha Murthy KHHVSS, and Tiwari SKAn effective Heavy metal treatment as an adjuvant therapy for the improvement of quality of life of hepatocellular carcinoma patient - A case studyIRJP2012; 3(7): 266- 270.
- Sheikh S, Srivastava A, Tripathi R, Tripathi S, Trivedi VP and Saxena RCToxicity of a novel herbo- mineral preparation Las01 on human cancer cell lines and its safety profile in humans and animal Evidence- based Complementary and Alternative medicines2012; 1155: 1-9
- BadariNath AV, Madhusudhana CC “in-vivo chemo preventive study of designed Herbo-mineral Tablet in Tobacco Smoke induced Lung cancer Animal Model” International Journal of PharmaTech Research2011; 3(1): 13-17
- Nandha R, Singh H, Moudgill P and Kular G A pilot study to clinically evaluate the role of herbo-mineral compound “RakatchapHar” in the management of hypertensionAYU2011; 32(3): 329-323
- Maji D, Singh AKClinical trial of D-400 - A herbo-mineral preparation in diabetes mellitus, Journal of Diabetes Association of India1995; 35(1): 1-4
- Chopra A, Lavin P, Pathwardhan B, Chitre DA 32 Week Randomized, Placebo - Controlled Clinical Evaluation of RA-11, an Ayurvedic Drug, on osteoarthritis of the kneesJournal of Clinical Rheumatology2004; 10(5): 236-245
- Raj S, Karthikeyan S, Gothandam KMAyurveda - A glance Research in Plant Biology2011; 1(1): 1-14.
- Robert BS, Stefanos NK, Janet P, Michael JB, David ME, Roger BD and Russell SPHeavy metal content of AyurvedicHerbal Medicine products JAMADecember 15 2004; 292(23): 2868- 2872.
- Alwakeel SS, Microbial and Heavy metals contamination of Herbal Medicines, Research Journal of Microbiology2008; 3(12): 683- 691.
- Shukla K, Jain V Heavy Metals in Ayurvedic formulation - Safety issuesThe Pharmaceutical magazines Institute of Pharmacy Pt Ravishankar Shukla University RaipurDec 2006.
- Borkowski B, Contamination of plants by heavy metals Farm Pol1994; 50(15): 697-710.
- Ernst E, Heavy metals in traditional Indian remediesEur J ClinPharmacol2001; 57 (12): 891-896.
- Nogawa K, Yamada Y, Honda R, Ishizaki M, Tsuritani I, Kawano S and et alThe relationship between Itai-itai disease among inhabitants of the Jinzu river basin and cadmium in rice Toxicology letters1983; 17 (3- 4): 263-266.
- Myers GJ, Davidson PWDoes methyl mercury have a role in causing developmental disabilities in children? Environ Health Prospect2000;108 (3): 413-420
- Available online at http://www.lenntech.com/processes /heavy/heavy-metals/heavy- metals.htm dated on 3/10/12
- Nriagu JOA Silent Epidemic of Environmental Metal Poisoning? Environmental Pollution1988; 50: 139-161
- Available online at http://emedicine.medscape.com/ article/814960-overview dated on 3/10/12
- AM Au, R Ko, R Hsu, G Perez and Z Yang Screening methods for drugs and heavy metals in Chinese patent medicines Bull Environ Contam Toxicology2000; 65: 112- 119
- Gasser U, Klier B, Kuhn AV, Steinhoff BCurrent finding on the heavy metal contents in herbal drugs Pharm Europa Scientific Notes 1, 2009: 37-50Available online at http://mb- med.com/FilePdf/HeavyMetals PharmeuropaSN2009.pdf
- Nwoko CO, Lew MHeavy metal contamination of ready to use herbal remedies in South Eastern NigeriaPak J Nutr2011; 10 (10): 959-964.
- Chan KSome aspects of toxic contaminants in herbal medicinesChemosphere2003; 52: 1361-1371.
- Gupta Bijay Kumar International Ayurvedic Medical Journal Cumulative toxicity of herbomineral preparations, ISSN:2320 5091
Published in : Volume 1 | Issue 3 | July-August 2015
Date of Publication : 2015-08-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 161-169
Manuscript Number : IJSRST151214
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Rohan R.Vakhariya, Omprasad Nikal, Archana R Dhole, C.S Magdum, "Herbomineral Formulations - A Review", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 1, Issue 3, pp.161-169, July-August-2015
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST151214