Home > Archives > IJSRST151220
Microcrystal Tests for Detection of Nicotine in Hookah Bar Samples
Authors(2) :-Falguni Patel, Astha Pandey
Microcrystalline test is hardly used in forensic science laboratory for the confirmation of drug or alkaloids present in the plants. Therefore an attempt was made to identify and confirm the presence of nicotine in hookah bar samples. Hookah bar samples are rampantly available in the market whose consumption has been found to be harmful to the youngsters and adults. Microcrystalline tests have been conducted for drugs like cocaine, morphine etc but neither on nicotine samples nor hookah bar samples it was done. Thus this study was done after performing the color tests and was found to be successful for the detection of alkaloids by microcrystal method and its sensitivity was found to be greater when compared to color tests.
Falguni Patel, Astha Pandey
Micro-Crystal Tests, Small Cubic And Spherical Crystals ,Mercuric Chloride, Barium Nitrate, Picric Acid, Microcrystalline Test , NDPS Drugs , TLC, Chloroplatinic Acid
- 'Origins'(2013) Article Niche History of Hookah. Retrieved 09-03.
- 'Business at hookah-less cafes go up in smoke'(2011) The Times of India. 7 June.
- 'Hookah',2008. Indian Express. Retrieved 06-08.
- Fulton CC. Modern Microcrystal Tests for Drugs-The Identification of Organic Compounds by Microcrystalloscopic Chemistry, Wiley-Interscience, New York.
- Small L F and Lutz RE, (1932) Chemistry of the Opium Alkaloids, U.S. govt Printing Office, Washington, Supplement no.103 to the Public Health Reports.
- Stephenson CH and Parker CE, (1921).Micro chemical tests for alkaloids, J.B. Lippincott Co.Phil.
- Elie L. et.al. (2011) Reversing microcrystalline tests-An analytical approach to recycling of micro crystals from drugs of abuse" Forensic Science International.Volume 207(1),55- 58.
- De Forest PR.(1988) Letters to the Editor. Microscope; 36:373-81
- SWGDRUG Methods and Reports Subcommittee Recommendations, Recommended Minimum Standards for Forensic Drug Identification, http://www.swgdrug.org.
- Nichols RG, (1997) Drug proficiency test false positives: a lack of critical thought. Science & Justice; 37(3):191-6.
- Hourigan J, Ascano M. Microcrystal test and quality control procedures employed at the LAPD narcotics analysis unit. In: Proceedings of the American Academy of Forensic Science.
- McCrone WC, (2000) Chemical problem solving without FTIR, EDX, NMR, XRD, etc. or why I still use the polarized light microscope, PLM. Microscope; 48 (3):155-66.
- Wielbo D, Tebbett IR, (1992) The uses of microcrystal tests in conjunction with Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy for the rapid identification of street drugs. J Forensic Sci; 37(4):1134-48.
- Masoud AN, (1975) Systematic identification of drugs of abuse I: spot tests. J. Forensic Sci 64:841-4.
- Johns SH, Wist AA, Najam AR, (1979) Spot tests: A color chart reference for forensic chemists. J Forensic Sci.; 24:631-49.
- Siegel JA. (1988) Forensic identification of controlled substances. In: Saferstein R, Editor. Forensic Science Handbook, Vol. II. Englewood Cliffs: Prentice Hall, 68-160.
- Clarke EGC, (1955) Williams M. Microchemical tests for the identification of alkaloids. J Pharmacy and Pharmacology; 7:255-62.
- Clarke EGC, (1969) Isolation and identification of drugs. London: The Pharmaceutical Press.
- Fulton CC, (1969) Microcrystal tests. In: Sunshine I, editor. Handbook of analytical toxicology. Cleveland: The Chemical Rubber Co, 461-96.
Published in : Volume 1 | Issue 2 | May-June 2015
Date of Publication : 2015-06-29
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 37-41
Manuscript Number : IJSRST151220
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Falguni Patel, Astha Pandey, "Microcrystal Tests for Detection of Nicotine in Hookah Bar Samples", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 1, Issue 2, pp.37-41, May-June-2015.
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST151220