Home > Archives > IJSRST151236
Bio-Medical Waste Disposal- A Survey to Assess the Knowledge, Attitude and Behaviour Among Dental Personnel in Kanpur City, (U.P.), India
Authors(6) :-Dr. Lakshmana Rao. Bathala, Dr.Rajashekar Sangur, Dr.Tanu Mahajan, Dr.Pawanjeet Singh Chawla, Dr.Ankit Mehrotra, Dr.Parul Singhal
To investigate the knowledge, attitude and behaviour of dental personnel in Kanpur city, (U.P), India towads bio-medical waste disposal management in dentistry. A Cross-sectional descriptive study was conducted over a period of 3 months from November 2012 to Jan 2013 A pre-tested Self administerred questionnaire was given to a total number of 423 dental personnel includes Faculty ,Post graduate students, Interns, Under graduate clinical students of a teaching institute and Private Practitioners in Kanpur city,India . A total of 406 dental personnel, including 41Faculty, 36 post graduate students, 93 interns, 149 Clinical under graduate students and 87 Private practioners participated in the study.Statistics was analysed by Dichotomisation analysis. All the dental personnel required to undergo continuing training programme on bio-medical waste management.
Dr. Lakshmana Rao. Bathala, Dr.Rajashekar Sangur, Dr.Tanu Mahajan, Dr.Pawanjeet Singh Chawla, Dr.Ankit Mehrotra, Dr.Parul Singhal
Bio-Medical Waste (B.M.W); Tuberculocidal disinfectant solution, Segregation; Sponge type Mercontainer TM; Colour Coding.
- The Gazette of India. Bio-Medical Waste (Management and Handling) Rules 1998. No 460 July 27 th 1998 and Amended No.375 June 2nd 2000. Or Govt. of India, "Bio-medical waste (management and handling) rules". The gazette of India. Ministry of Environment and Forests.1998.
- Sharma M: Hospital Waste Management and Its Monitoring, 1 st ed. New Delhi, India, Jaypee brother’s Medical publication; 2002.
- Best management practices for hazardous dental waste disposal. Novascotiadentalociationwebsite. http://www.nsdental.org/media_uploads/pdf/95.pdf. Accessed November 2, 2009.
- Taiwo JO, Aderinokun GA. Assessing cross infection prevention measures at dental clinic, university college hospital, Ibadan. Afr J Med Sci 2002; 31 (3): 213-7.
- Pichay TJ. Dental amalgam: regulating its use and disposal. J Calif Dent Assoc. 2004; 32(7):580-582.
- Johannessen LM, Dijkman M, Bartone C, Hanrahan D, Boyer G, Chandra C. health care waste management guidance note. Washington Dc: The International Bank for Reconstruction and Development/The World Bank; 2000.
- Punchanuwat K, Drummond BK, Ttreasure ET. An investigation of the disposal of dental clinical waste in Bangkok. Int Dent J1998; 48(4):369-73.
- Treasure ET, Treasure P. An investigation of the disposal of hazardous wastes from Newzealand dental practices. A Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 1997; 25(4):369-73.
- Farmer GM, Stankiewicz N, Michael B, Wojcik A, Lim Y, Ivkovic D et al. Audit of waste collected over one week from ten dental practices. A pilot study. Aust Dent J 1997; 42(2):114-7.
- Survey of hospital waste management in SEA region. WHO: Health situation in the South East Asia Region. 1998-2000.Khanna publishers, New Delhi 1999. p 1-34.
- US department of labor, occupational safety and health administration. 29 cfr part 1910.1030 - blood borne pathogens. Occupational exposure to blood borne pathogens; needle stick and other sharps injuries, final rule. Federal register, 2001; 66 (12):5317-5325. As amended from and including federal register 1991; 29 cfr part 1910.1030.
- Horsted-Bindslev P. Amalgam toxicity--environmental and occupational hazards. J Dent 2004; 32(5):359-65.
- Rowe NH, Sidhu K S, Chadzynski L, Babcock R F. Potential public health risks related to mercury/amalgam discharge from dental offices. J Mich Dent Assoc. 1996;78(2):32-6.
- Chin G, Chong J, Kluczewska A, Lau A, Gorjy S, Tennant M. The environmental effects of dental amalgam. Aust Dent J 2000; 45(4):246-9.
- Agarwal B, Kumar M, Agarwal S,Singh S, Shekhar A. Bio-medical waste and dentistry. j oral health comm dent 2011;5(3):153-5.
- National guidelines on hospital waste management. Biomedical waste regulations. Environmental regulations and best management practices; available from: http://www.crd.bc.ca. [last accessed on 2011 Sep 21] .
- Management of sharps. Available from: http://www3.5ho.int/injecion_safety/en/. [last accessed on 2009 Dec 03].
- Darkish RO, Al-Katib AL. Evaluation of dental waste management in two cities in Palestine. East Meditterr Health J 2006; 12(2):217-22.
Published in : Volume 1 | Issue 2 | May-June 2015
Date of Publication : 2015-07-05
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 90-93
Manuscript Number : IJSRST151236
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Dr. Lakshmana Rao. Bathala, Dr.Rajashekar Sangur, Dr.Tanu Mahajan, Dr.Pawanjeet Singh Chawla, Dr.Ankit Mehrotra, Dr.Parul Singhal, "Bio-Medical Waste Disposal- A Survey to Assess the Knowledge, Attitude and Behaviour Among Dental Personnel in Kanpur City, (U.P.), India", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 1, Issue 2, pp.90-93, May-June-2015
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST151236