Home > Archives > IJSRST151238
Pharmacovigilance - A Review
Authors(4) :-Lalita B. Patil, Swapnil S. Patil, Sarika S. Hubale, Rahul U. Mane
Pharmacovigilance is an important and integral part of clinical research. Despite its 40 years history, pharmacovigilance remains a dynamic clinical and scientific discipline. It continues to play a crucial role in meeting the challenges posed by the ever increasing range and potency of medicines. When adverse effects and toxicity do appear especially, when previously unknown, it is essential that these are reported, analysed and their significance communicated effectively to an audience that has the knowledge to interpret the information, which carry an inevitable and some for all medicines there is a trade-off between the benefits and the potential for harm. The harm can be minimized by ensuring that medicines of good quality, safety and efficacy are used rationally and that the expectations and concerns of the patient are taken into account when therapeutic decisions are made. Taking medicines and prescribing them are among the commonest of activities of people who are unwell and of those who care for them. It makes sense that those medicines should be monitored to equally demanding standards as those evident in the development and evaluation of drugs and that prescribing habits and the extent of rational and cost-effective use should be reviewed. Responsibility for the holistic approach to drug safety that is encompassed in the science and practice of pharmacovigilance as reflected in this article has to be shared if ideal practice is to be achieved. The scientists, clinicians, pharmaceutical manufacturers, drug developers, regulators, public policy makers, patients and the general public all have their own complementary roles in achieving what is envisaged.
Lalita B. Patil, Swapnil S. Patil, Sarika S. Hubale, Rahul U. Mane
Pharmacovigilance, National Pharmacovigilance Programme, Role of Pharmacovigilance, Pharmacovigilance Practice.
- World Health Organization. The Importance of Pharmacovigilance: Safety Monitoring of Medicinal Products. Geneva: WHO, http://apps.who.int/medicinedocs/pdf/s4893e/s4893e.pdf; 2002
- Review Article pharmacovigilance in india : the way ahead. V. V. Wanmali, R. I. Brahmane, R. Gupta, b. Shinde
- Protocol for National Pharmacovigilance Program. CDSCO, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India. November 2004.
- The Importance of Pharmacovigilance, Geneva, World Health Organisation 2002.
- Zhengwu L. Information technology in pharmacovigilance: Benefits, challenges and future directions from industry Perspectives, Drug, Health Care and patient safety, 1, 2009, 35-45.
- WHO, Pharmacovigilance: ensuring the safe use of medicines, Geneva, WHO 2004.
- WHO, Safety of medicines in public health programmes: pharmacovigilance an essential tool, WHO 2006.
- Sten Olsson. Pharmacovigilance training with focus on India’, Indian J Pharmacol, 40, 2008, S28-S30.
- WHO, Safety monitoring of medicinal products. : Guidelines for good Clinical Practice (GCP) for trials on pharmaceutical products, Geneva, WHO 1995.
- G. Duff, M. Kendall, Dr J. Raine, et. Al.bhenderson Current problems in pharmacovigilance commission on human medicines, MHRA, UK. 31:1-12, (2006).
- MHRA/CSM Current Problems in Pharmacovigilance. 30:1-2, (2004).
- CA/CSM Current Problems in Pharmacovigilance. 24: 5, (1998).
- MCA/CSM Current Problems in Pharmacovigilance. 28: 7, (2002).
- MCA/CSM Current Problems in Pharmacovigilance. 29: 5, (2003).
- Chang, D.F. & Campbell, J.R. J Cataract Refract Surg 31: 664-673, (2005).
Published in : Volume 1 | Issue 3 | July-August 2015
Date of Publication : 2015-08-25
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 25-29
Manuscript Number : IJSRST151238
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Lalita B. Patil, Swapnil S. Patil, Sarika S. Hubale, Rahul U. Mane, "Pharmacovigilance - A Review ", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 1, Issue 3, pp.25-29, July-August-2015.
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST151238