Home > Archives > IJSRST15127
Financial Inclusion through Mobile Banking: Challenges and Prospects
Authors(1) :-Henok Arega Asfaw
Use of mobile phone for inclusive finance is very crucial for countries where most of the population is unbanked or underbanked. The study attempted to identify the major challenges and opportunities for mobile banking development in Ethiopia. An exploratory research design is utilized as the area of the study is fresh and requires a better understanding of the situation. The study reveals that hitherto there are no operational challenges that hinder the flourish of m-banking development in Ethiopia. However, lack of timely approval of new products by regulatory body, lack of interoperability system and lack of aggregators between service provider and retail agents were the major problems observed in the study. High PCI and mobile phone penetration rate were found out to be the most important potential for the development of mobile banking in Ethiopia.
Mobile-banking, Financial Inclusion, Challenges
- Korir G., (2012), Factor Influencing Mobile Banking in Kenya: A Case of Kenya Commercial Bank in Garissa, University of Nairobi, Unpublished
- Pallab S., and Munish M. (2013), Internet Banking in India – A Perspective on Benefits and Challenges Involved, International Journal of Engineering, Business and Enter-prise Applications, 13 -207
- Petrova K., (2002), Mobile Banking: Background, Service and Adoption, Auckland University of Technology
- Pousttchi, K., & Schurig, M., (2007), Assessment of Today’s Mobile Banking Applications from the View of Customer Requirements, http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/2913/ [accessed 13 May 2014]
- Prerna S. B. and Preeti S., (2011), Issues and Challenges in Mobile Banking in India: A Customers’ perspective, Research Journal of Finance and Accounting, Vol. 2., No., 2., ISSN (Paper) 2222-1697
- Regulation of Mobile and Agent Banking Services Direc-tives No. FIS /01/2012, National Bank of Ethiopia
- Sarita Bahl., (2012), E-Banking: Challenges and Policy Implication, International Journal of Computing and Business Research, ISSN (Online): 2229 – 6166.
- Shallone K. C. and Simon M., (2013), Extending the Technology Acceptance Model to Mobile Banking Adoption in Rural Zimbabwe, Journal of Business Administration and Education, Vol. 3., No., 1., 51 -79
- Singh S., (2014), The Impact and Adoption of Mobile banking in Delhi, International Research Journal of Business and Management, ISSN 2322-083X
- Sumanjeet S. (2010), Accelerating Financial Inclusion through Mobile Phone Technology: Opportunities, Challenges and Policy Options, University of Delhi, Un-published
- Talla J. H., (2013), An Empirical Study of E-Banking in Cameroon, University of South Africa, Unpublished
- Thullani D., Tofara C., and Langton R., (2009), Adoption and use of Internet banking in Zimbabwe: an Exploratory Study, Journal of International Banking and Commerce., Vol., 14, No., 1., 1-13
- Tiwari R. and Buse S. (2007), The Mobile Commerce Prospects: A Strategic Analysis of Opportunities in the Banking Sector, Hamburg: Hamburg University Press
- Viveinne A. L., (2013), Mobile Money, Financial Inclusion and Financial Integrity: The South African Case, Wash-ington Journal of Law, Vol. 8. No. 3.
- World Bank (2012), http://data.worldbank.org/region/sub-saharan-africa [ac-cessed 29 December 2014]
- Wooder S., and Baker S., (2011), Extracting Key Lessons in Service innovation, Journal of Product innovation Management, 13-20
Published in : Volume 1 | Issue 4 | September-October 2015
Date of Publication : 2015-11-05
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 232-238
Manuscript Number : IJSRST15127
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Henok Arega Asfaw, "Financial Inclusion through Mobile Banking: Challenges and Prospects ", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 1, Issue 4, pp.232-238, September-October-2015
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST15127