Home > Archives > IJSRST15129
Bacterial Blight Resistance in Rice: A Review
Authors(3) :-Mohammad Noroozi, Haj Beheshtizadeh, A-Sattari
Bacterial blight disease, caused by Xanthomonas oryzaepv.oryzae(Xoo), is one of the most serious diseases in rice producing areas. For combating the disease, the most effective and economical measure is exploitation of host plant resistance. To date, more than 38 R genes for BB resistance have been reported. Since the chemical control is not effective, the utilization of resistant varieties carrying resistance genes have been considered to be the most effective way to control the disease .With the development of a wide range of molecular techniques, marker assisted breeding is now used to enhance traditional breeding programs to improve crops. Among various PCR based markers, SSR markers are more popular in rice because they are highly informative, mostly mono locus, co-dominant, easily analyzed and cost effective.Besides disease management, bioagents also stimulate plant growth, even if there is no disease, which results in better yield. Antagonistic potential of different bioagents against bacterial leaf blight of rice has been reported by several workers.
Mohammad Noroozi, Haj Beheshtizadeh, A-Sattari
Rice, Bacterial Blight Disease, Resistance Genes, SSR Markers
- Babu AGC, Thind BS. 2005. Potential use of combinations of Pantoea agglomerans, Pseudomonas flourescenc and Bacillus subtilis as biocontrol agents for the control of bacterial blight of rice. Annals of the Sri Lanka, department of agriculture, 7: 23-37.
- Bhuiyan MAR. 2005. Efficiency in evaluating salt tolerance in rice using phenotypic and marker assisted selection. M. S. Dissertation, Department of Genetics and Plant Breeding, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh, Bangladesh. 96p.
- Chen S, Huang ZH, Zeng LX, Yang JY, Liu QG, Zhu X. 2008. High resolution mapping and gene prediction of Xanthomonas oryzae pv.oryzaeresistance gene Xa7. Mol Breed. 2008; 22: 433-441.
- Chen Z, Agnew JL, Cohen JD, He P, Shan L, Sheen J, et al., 2007. Pseudomonas syringaetype III effector AvrRpt2altersArabidopsis thalianaauxin physiology. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA.
- Coakley SM, Scherm H, Chakraborty S. 1999. Climate change and plant disease management. Annu Rev Phytopathol 37:399-426.
- Ding XH, Cao YL, Huang LL, Zhao J, Xu CG, Li XH, et al., 2008. Activation of the indole-3-acetic acid-amido synthetase GH3-8 suppresses expansin expression and promotes salicylate- and jasmonate-independent basal immunity in rice. The Plant Cell. 20: 228-240.
- Frey JE, Frey B, Sauer C Kellerhals M. 2004. Efficient low cost DNA extraction and multiplex fluorescent PCR method for marker assisted selection in reeding. Plant Breed. 123: 554-557.
- Frey, JE, Frey B, Sauer C, Kellerhals M. 2004. Efficient low cost DNA extraction and multiplex fluorescent PCR method for marker assisted selection in breeding. Plant Breed. 123: 554-557
- Fu J, Liu HB, Li Y, Yu HH, Li XH, Xiao JH, et al., 2011. Manipulating broad-spectrum disease resistance by suppressing pathogen-induced auxin accumulation in rice. Plant Physiol. 155: 589-602.
- Gangwar GP, Sinha?AP. 2012a. Comparative antagonistic potential of fungal and bacterial bioagents against Xanthomonas oryzae pv. oryzae. Ann. Pl. Protec. Sci.,20(1): 154-159.
- Gangwar GP, Sinha?AP. 2012b. Evaluation of Trichodermaspp. and fluorescent pseudomonads for the management of bacterial leaf blight of rice. Indian Phytopath., 65 (1): 89-91.
- Gangwar GP, Sinha?AP. 2012c. Effect of time of application on fungal and bacterial bioagents against bacterial leaf blight of rice. Agric. Sci. Digest., 32(2): 123-127.
- Gangwar GP. 2013a. Efficacy of different isolates of fluorescent pseudomonads against bacterial leaf blight of rice. Afr. J. Agric. Res., 8(37): 4588-4591.
- Gangwar GP. 2013b. Field efficacy of formulation of fungal bioagents against bacterial leaf blight of rice caused by Xanthomonas oryzaepv. oryzae(Uyeda and Ishiyama) Dowson. J. Appl. & Nat. Sci., 5(2): 423-426.
- Garrett KA, Dendy SP, Frank EE, Rouse MN, Travers SE. 2006. Climate change effects on plant disease: genomes to ecosystems. Annu Rev Phytopathol 44:489-509.
- Gracia AAF, Benchimol LL, Antonica M M, Geraldi IO, Deuza AP. 2004. Comparison of RAPD, RFLP, AFLP and SSR marker for d iversity studies in tropical maize inbred lines. Euphytica 108: 53-63
- Gracia AAF, Benchimol LL, Antonica MM, Geraldi, IO, Deuza, AP. 2004. Comparison of RAPD, RFLP, AFLP and SSR marker for diversity studies in tropical maize inbred lines. Euphytica 108: 53-63.
- Gu K, Yang B, Tian D, Wu L, Wang D, Sreekala C, et al., 2005. R-gene expression induced by a type-III effector triggers disease resistance in rice. Nature. 35: 1122-1125. PMID:15973413
- Hsieh SPY. 2003. Rice bacterial blight. In: Cheng CH (ed) Plant protection illustrations 8: Rice Protection (The next book). Bureau of Animal and Plant Health Inspection and Quaratine, Council of Agriculture, Executive Yuan. Taipei, Taiwan, pp 317-338
- Huang CL, Hwang SY, Chiang YC, Lin TP. 2008. Molecular Evolution of thePi-taGene Resistant to Rice Blast in Wild Rice (Oryza rufipogon). Genet.179:1527-1538. doi:10.1534/genetics.108.089805 PMID:18622033
- Huang N, Angeles ER, Domingo J, Magpantay G, Singh S, Zhang G, Kumaravadivel N, Bennett J, Khush GS. 1997. Pyramiding of bacterial bligh t resistance genes in rice: marker-assisted selection using RFLP and PCR. Theor Appl Genet 95:313-320
- Islam MM. 2004. Mapping salinity tolerance genes in rice (Oryza satiya L.) at reproductive stage. Ph. D. dissertation.University of the Ph ilippines Los Banos, College, Laguna, Philippines.150 p.
- Islam MM. 2004. Mapping salinity tolerance genes in rice (Oryza satiya L.) at reproductive stage. Ph. D. dissertation.University of the Philippines Los Banos, College, Laguna, Philippines.150 p.
- Johnson R. 1984. A critical analysis of durable resistance. Annu Rev Phytopathol 22:309-330
- Joshi SP, Gupta VS, Aggarwal RK, Ranjekar PK, Brar DS. 2000. Genetic diversity and phylogenetic relationship as revealed by Inter simple sequence repeat polymorphism in the genus Oryza. Theor. Appl. Genet. 100:1311-1320.
- Khush GS, Mackill DJ, Sidhu GS. 1989. Breeding rice for resistance to bacterial blight. Bacterial Blight of Rice. IRRI,Manila, pp 207-217
- Kottapalli KR, Sarla N, Kikuchi S. 2006. In silico insight into two rice chromosomal regions associated with submergence tolerance and resistance to bacterial leaf blight and gall midge. Biotechnol Adv 24(6):561-589.
- Kumar PN, Sujatha K, Laha GS, Rao KS, Mishra B, Viraktamath BC et al., 2012. Identification and fine-mapping of Xa33, a novel gene for resistance to Xanthomonas oryzae pv. oryzae. Phytopathol. 2012; 102:222-228.
- Li ZK, Sanchez A, Angeles E, Singh S, Domingo J, Huang N, Khush GS. 2001. Are the dominant and recessive plant disease resistance genes similar? A case study of rice R genes andXanthomonas oryzaepv.oryzaeraces. Genetics 159(2):757-765
- Manmeet M, Thind BS. 2002. Management of bacterial blight of rice with bioagents. Plant Dis. Res., 17(1): 21-28.
- McSteen P. 2010. Auxin and monocot development. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol. 2(3): a001479.
- Mew, TW. 1987. Current status and future prospects of research on bacterial blight of rice. Annu. Rev. Phytopathol.25, 359-382.
- Navarro L, Dunoyer P, Jay F, Arnold B, Dharmasiri N, Estelle M, et al., 2006. A plant miRNA contributes to antibacterial resistance by repressing auxin signaling. Science. 312: 436-439.
- Nino-Liu DO, Ronald PC, Bogdanove AJ. 2006. Xanthomonas oryzaepathovars: model pathogens of a model crop. Mol. Plant Pathol.7, 303-324.
- Nino-Lui DO, Ronald P C, Bogdanove AJ. 2006. Pathogen profile Xanthomonas oryzae pathovars: model pathogens of a model crop. Molec.Plant Pathol. 7(5): 303-324
- Niones JM. 2004. Fine mapping of the salinity tolerance gene on chromosome 1 of rice (Oryza sativa L.) using near-isogenic lines.M.S. dissertation.University of the Philippines Los Banos,College, Laguna, Philippines.78 p.
- Niones JM. 2004. Fine mapping of the salinity tolerance gene on chromosome 1 of rice (Oryza sativa L.) using near-isogenic lines.M.S. dissertation.University of the Philippines Los Banos, College, Laguna, Philippines.78 p.
- Palaniyandi V, Immanuel JE, Gnanamanickam SS, Thomashow L. 2006. Biological control of rice bacterial blight by plant associated bacteria producing 2,4-diacetylphloroglucinol. Canadian Journal of Microbiology, 52(1): 56-65.
- Perumalsamy S, Bharani M, Sudha M, Nagarajan P, Arul L, Saraswathi R, Balasubramanian P, Ramalingam J. 2010. Functional marker-assisted selection for bacterial leaf blight resistance genes in rice (Oryza sativaL.). Plant Breed 129(4):400-406
- Romer P, Recht S, Lahaye T. 2009. A single plant resistance gene promoter engineered to recognize multiple TAL effectors from disparate pathogens. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 106: 20526-20531.
- Sama VS, Rawat N, Sundaram RM, Himabindu K, Naik BS, Viraktamath BC, Bentur JS. 2014. A putative candidate for the recessive gall midge resistance gene gm3 in rice identified and validated. Theor Appl Genet 127(1):113-124.
- Shen Y, Ronald P. 2002. Molecular determinants of disease and resistance in interactions ofXanthomonas oryzaepv.oryzaeand rice. Microbes Infect/Inst Pasteur 4(13):1361-1367
- Sindhan GS, Parasher RD, Hooda I. 1997. Biological control of bacterial leaf blight of rice caused byXanthomonas oryzae pv.oryzae. Plant Dis. Res., 12(1): 29-32.
- Teale WD, Paponov IA, Palme K. 2006. Auxin in action: signalling, transport and the control of plant growth and development. Nature Reviews Mol Cell Biol. 7: 847-859. PMID:16990790
- Vidhyasekaran P, Kamala N, Ramanathan P, Rajappan K, Paranidharan V, Velazhahan R. 2001. Induction of systemic resistance by Pseudomonas fluorescensPf1 against Xanthomonas oryzaepv. Oryzae in rice leaves. Phytoparasitica. 29(2): 155-166.
- Wang CS, Wang AZ, Lin DG. 2013. The application of mutants in breeding disease resistance in rice. Paper presented at the Special issue or the symposium on important crop pathogen detection and management, Taichung
- Wang D, Pajerowska-Mukhtar K, Culler AH, Dong X. 2007. Salicylic acid inhibits pathogen growth in plants through repression of the auxin signaling pathway. Curr Biol. 17: 1784-1790.
- Xia C, Chen, H, Zhu X. 2012. Identification, Mapping, Isolation of the Genes Resisting to Bacterial Blight and Breeding Application in Rice. Molecular Plant Breeding., 3(12): 120-130.
- Yang DL, Yang YN, He ZH. 2013. Roles of plant hormones and their interplay in rice immunity. Mol Plant. 6: 675-685.
- Yang Z, Sun X, Wang S, Zhang Q. 2003. Genetic and physical mapping of a new gene for bacterial blight resistance in rice. Theor Appl Genet 106(8):1467-1472
Published in : Volume 1 | Issue 2 | May-June 2015
Date of Publication : 2015-06-26
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 20-23
Manuscript Number : IJSRST15129
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Mohammad Noroozi, Haj Beheshtizadeh, A-Sattari, "Bacterial Blight Resistance in Rice: A Review ", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 1, Issue 2, pp.20-23, May-June-2015
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST15129