Home > Archives > IJSRST15132
Design of Classical and State Space Controller Using a Moving Coil Machine
Authors(2) :-Folayan Gbenga, Adeoye O. S.
This paper looks at two methods of designing controllers among numerous approaches used in controller designs; the root locus method using the SISOTOOL in MATLAB and the state space method. The root locus is a classical graphical method, of all the classical methods this was chosen because it helps to understand fundamental concept of controller design, and a graphical understanding of what is going on in the system. This paper analyse, design, compare and contrast a classical method, PID and a more recent approach; state space to controller design. The state space approach is more modern and used to highlight the short comings of the classical approach. A laboratory moving coil meter was used for the design of the controller. The utilisation of the system identification toolbox in MATLAB was employed for the system modelling obtained and analysed. Finally the paper compares the performance of both designed controllers based on root locus and state space methods at the second order moving coil system and previous work done were subjected to due comparison.
Folayan Gbenga, Adeoye O. S.
Controller, Root Loci, State Space, MATLAB, Model and Moving coil meter.
- Astrom K. and Hagglund T., (1994) PID Controllers: Theory, Design, andTuning. Research Triangle Park, NC: Instrument Soc. Amer.
- Beadmore R. (2010) Root Locus Analysis of Control systems,[online], available at http://www.roymech.co.uk/Related/Control/root_locus.html [accessed 12 july 2010]
- Cheng, L., Hou, Z.G., Tan, M., Liu D., and Zou, A.M. (2008) Multi-agent based adaptive consensus control for multiple manipulators with Kinematic uncertainties, pp. 189-194
- Dutton K., Thompson S., Barraclough B. (1997), The Art of Control Engineering, Essex: prentice hall.
- French, I (2009), System Identification and Adaptive Control Lecture Note, Teesside University, Uk
- Hesketh T., (1982). State-space pole-placing self-tuning regulator using input-output values. IEE Proceedings 129 4D (1982), pp. 123-128
- Jun Gu, James Taylor & Derek Seward (2004); Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering Proportional-Integral-Plus Control of an Intelligent Excavator.
- Ljung L. (1987) system identification Theory for the user. London. Prentice hall. Inc.
- Mestha L.K. & Planner C.W. (n.d). Application of system identification techniques to an RF cavity tuning loop. [online] available at: http://lss.fnal.gov/archive/other/ssc/ssc-n-706.pdf [13 march 2010].
- Norman S. Nise (2008) Control Systems Engineering 5th edition asia: john Wesley and sons.
- Soderstrom T., Stoica P. (1989),system Identification New jersey, prentice Hall
- Taylor C. J., Leigh P., Price L., Young P. C., Vranken E. and Berckmans D. (2004) Proportional-integral-plus (PIP) control of ventilation rate in agricultural buildings control engineering practise 12(2) [online] available at: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/fulltext/118801781/PDFSTART
- Tham M.T. (1999) Dynamic Model for Controller Design, [online], available at http://lorien.ncl.ac.uk/ming/digicont/mbpc/models.pdf[accessed12 march 2010].
- The Mathworks (2010) System Identification tooolbox [online] available at: http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/toolbox/ident/gs/bqv54ev-7.html.[accessed on 15 march 2010].
- Young P.C., Behzadi M.A., Wang C.L. and Chotai, A. Direct digital and adaptive control by input-output, state variable feedback pole assignment. International Journal of Control 46 6 (1987), pp. 867-881
Published in : Volume 1 | Issue 3 | July-August 2015
Date of Publication : 2015-08-25
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 42-47
Manuscript Number : IJSRST15132
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Folayan Gbenga, Adeoye O. S., "Design of Classical and State Space Controller Using a Moving Coil Machine", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 1, Issue 3, pp.42-47, July-August-2015
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST15132