Home > Archives > IJSRST151320
Viscometric, Volumetric and Thermodynamic Studies L-Alanine in Aqueous and Ethanol Media at 293-313 K
Authors(4) :-Abideen Idowu Adeogun, Mopelola Abidemi Idowu, Sikiru Akinyeye Ahmed, Niniola Mariam Oyedokun
Valuable information regarding solute solvent, solute solute and solvent solvent interactions are obtainable from volumetric, viscometric and other thermodynamic data in a solute solvent system. Consequently we study the density and viscosity of L-Alanine in aqueous and ethanol media as a function of concentration at the temperature ranges between 293 and 313 K. The apparent molar volume (Ï†Ï…
) of the amino acid is linearly related to its concentration in the two media. Apparent molar volume at infinite dilution (Ï†Ï…
) were estimated from least square fit of Ï†Ï…
vs molarity. Viscosity coefficients A and B were calculated from the viscosity data Jones-Dole equation. The activation parameters for viscous flow
were also estimated using Eyring equation. The data are explained vis-Ã -vis structure making or breaking effect of L-Alanine at the temperature under consideration.
Abideen Idowu Adeogun, Mopelola Abidemi Idowu, Sikiru Akinyeye Ahmed, Niniola Mariam Oyedokun
L-Alanine; Ethanol; Apparent Molar Volume; Infinite Dilution; Structure Breaking And Structure Making.
- Banipal, P. K.; Chahal, A. K. and Banipal, T. S. (2009): Studies on Volumetric Properties of Some Saccharides in Aqueous Potassium Chloride Solutions over Temperature Range (288.15 to 318.15) K. Journal of Chemical Thermodynamics., 41, 452-483.
- Banipal, T. S., Lark, B. S., Patyar, P. and Kishore, N. (2004): Densities, partial molar volumes and Heat capacities of glycine, L-alanine and L-leucine in aqueous magnesium chloride solutions at different temperatures. Journal of Chemical Engineering Data, 49: 553-565
- Desnoyers, J. E. (1982): Structural Effects in Aqueous Solutions: A Thermodynamic Approach. Pure Applied Chemistry, 1982, 54, 1469-1478.
- Feakins, D., Freemantle, J.D., Lawrence, K.G., (1974) Transition state treatment of the relative viscosity of electrolytic solutions. Applications to aqueous, non-aqueous and methanol + water system. Journal of Chemical Society Faraday Trans. 70, 795-806.
- Gupta, R and Singh, M (2005): Viscometric and thermodynamic studies of interactions in ternary solutions containing sucrose and aqueous alkali metal halides at 293.15, 303.15 and 313.15 K Journal of Chemical Science, Vol. 117, No. 3, pp. 275-282.
- Hedwig, G. R. (1988): Thermodynamic Properties of Peptide Solutions 3. Partial Molar Volumes and Partial Molar Heat Capacities of Some Tripeptides in Aqueous Solution. Journal of Solution Chemistry. 17, 383 - 397.
- Hossain, M. F. Biswas, T. K. Islam M. N and Huque M. E. (2010): Volumetric and viscometric studies on dodecyltrimethylammonium bromide in aqueous and in aqueous amino acid solutions in premicellar region. Monatshefte f??r Chemie 141: 1297-1308.
- Huiyong, W., Jianji, W and Shibiao Z (2012): Apparent Molar Volumes and Expansivities of Ionic Liquids [Cnmim]Br (n= 4, 8, 10, 12) in Dimethyl Sulfoxide. Journal of Chemical Engineering Data 57: 1939 - 194
- Masson, D. O. (1929): Molecular volumes in relation to salvation and ionization. Philosophy Magazine 8: 218-235.
- Nain, A. K. (2013): Densities, ultrasonic speeds, viscosities and excess properties of binary mixtures of methyl methacrylate with N,N-dimethylformamide and N,N dimethylacetamide at different temperatures. Journal of Chemical Thermodynamics 60: 105-116.
- Pal, A. and Chauhan, N. (2009): Volumetric, Viscometric, and Acoustic Behaviour of Diglycine in Aqueous Saccharide Solutions at Different Temperatures. Journal of ?? Molecular Liquids, 149, 29 - 36.
- Thirumaran, S. and Inbam, P. (2011): Thermodynamic and transport studies on some basic ?? amino acids in aqueous sodium acetate solution at different temperatures, Indian Journal of Pure Applied Physics. 49: 51-59.
- Wadi, R. K. and Goyal, R.K. (1992): Temperature dependence of apparent molar volume and viscosity B-coefficients of amino acids in aqueous potassium thiocyanate solutions from15 to 35 ??C. Journal of Solution Chemistry, 21: 163-170.
- Yan, Z., Wang J. and Jinsuo, L. 2001. Apparent molar volumes and viscosities of some ??-aminoacids in aqueous sodium butyrate solutions at 298.15K. Journal of Chemical Engineering Data, 46: 217-222.
- Zhao, H. (2006): Viscosity B-coefficients and standard partial molar volumes of amino acids, and their roles in interpreting the protein (enzyme) stabilization. Biophysical Chemistry. 122(3): 157-183.
- Zhuo, K.; Wang, J.; Zheng, H.; Xuan, X. and Zhao, Y. (2005): Volumetric Parameters of Interaction of Monosaccharides (D-Xylose, DArabinose, D-Glucose, D-Galactose) with NaI in Water at 298.15 K. Journal Solution Chemistry, 34, 155-170.
Published in : Volume 1 | Issue 3 | July-August 2015
Date of Publication : 2015-08-25
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 96-101
Manuscript Number : IJSRST151320
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Abideen Idowu Adeogun, Mopelola Abidemi Idowu, Sikiru Akinyeye Ahmed, Niniola Mariam Oyedokun, "Viscometric, Volumetric and Thermodynamic Studies L-Alanine in Aqueous and Ethanol Media at 293-313 K", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 1, Issue 3, pp.96-101, July-August-2015
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST151320