Home > Archives > IJSRST151324
Role of Biomarkers in Cancer Research and Drug Development
Authors(2) :-Mahin Ghorbani, Hamed karimi
Biomarkers as characterizing agents of patient colony and quantifying factors to a specific degree to which developing drugs reach the intended targets, induce alternation of proposed pathophysiological mechanism and obtain desirable clinical results. These specific molecular signatures have been emerged rapidly in cancer research and cancer related drug development programs and have been helped vigorously in validation of novel drug targets and prediction of drug response which together lead to precise and strong treatment of cancer diseases. In this paper we have discussed emergence of biomarkers in drug development linked to cancer treatment and highlighted their significant role in the mentioned area. The purpose of this review is to redefine the biomarker evolution in drug development related to different types of cancers and a brief background about their classification, their assessment and technologies used for their identification in order to encourage scientists for strong focus on biomarkers in their research programs related to cancer treatment. Several types of biomarkers are discussed in this paper are such as biomarkers for breast, prostate, colon, ovarian, lung, cervical cancers, hepatocellular carcinoma, nasopharyngeal carcinoma and myeloid leukaemia.
Mahin Ghorbani, Hamed karimi
Biomarkers, Cancer Research, Drug Development, Target Validation, Biomarker Classification
- Jorge A. Tavel, M.D. What are Biomarkers? Curr Opin HIV AIDS. 2010 Nov; 5(6): 463-466.
- Rastogi .S. C., Rastogi P and Mendiratta N.,2008. Bioinformatics Methods and Applications: Genomics .Proteomics And Drug Discovery PHI Learning Pvt. Ltd
- Richard Mayeux .Biomarkers: Potential Uses and Limitations: NeuroRx. 2004 Apr; 1(2): 182-188.
- Anunchai Assawamakin,Supakit Prueksaaroon,2 Supasak Kulawonganunchai, Philip James Shaw,3 Vara Varavithya, Taneth Ruangrajitpakorn,5 and Sissades Tongsima Biomarker Selection and Classification of"-Omics" Data Using a Two-Step Bayes Classification Framework .BioMed Research International Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 148014, 9 pages.
- Ghorbani M ,Karimi H ,Ten Bioinformatics Tools for Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms , American Journal of Bioinformatics ;2014:3(2):45-48
- Ghorbani M.Iranian traditional medicine for treatment ofanxiety, hypertension and diabetes type II andintroduction of zebrafish a model system for their screening: International Journal of Herbal Medicine 2014; 2 (5): 13-19
- Rubin MA, Bismar TA, Andrn O, Mucci L, Kim R, Shen R, Ghosh D, Wei JT, Chinnaiyan AM, Adami HO, Kantoff PW, Johansson JE. Decreased alpha-methylacyl CoA racemase expression in localized prostate cancer is associated with an increased rate of biochemical recurrence and cancer-specific death. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2005 Jun;14(6):1424-32.
- Eldad S. Bialecki and Adrian M. Di Bisceglie.Diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinoma .HPB (Oxford). 2005; 7(1): 26-34.
- Tara Behne and M. Sitki Copur,"Biomarkers for Hepatocellular Carcinoma, International Journal of Hepatology, vol. 2012, Article ID 859076, 7 pages, 2012. doi:10.1155/2012/859076
- Fodde R.The APC gene in colorectal cancer. Eur J Cancer. 2002 May;38(7):867-71.
- Byar DP, Sears ME & McGuire WL1979 Relationship between estrogen receptor values and clinical data in predicting the response to endocrine therapy for patients with advanced breast cancer. European Journal of Cancer 15 299-310
- Viale G,Regan MM, Maiorano E, Mastropasqua MG, Dell'Orto P, Rasmussen BB, Raffoul J, Neven P,Orosz Z, Braye Set al.2007 Prognostic and predictive value of centrally reviewed expression of estrogen and progesterone receptors in a randomized trial comparing letrozole and tamoxifen adjuvant therapy for postmenopausal early breast cancer: BIG 1-98. Journal of Clinical Oncology 25 3846-3852.
- Dowsett M, Ebbs SR, Dixon JM, Skene A, Griffith C, Boeddinghaus I, Salter J, Detre S, Hills M, Ashley Set al.2005b Biomarker changes during neoadjuvant anastrozole, tamoxifen, or the combination: influence of hormonal status and HER-2 in breast cancer - a study from the IMPACT trialists. Journal of Clinical Oncology 23 2477-2492
- Romond EH, Perez EA, Bryant J, Suman VJ, Geyer CE Jr., Davidson NE, Tan-Chiu E, Martino S, Paik S & Kaufman P2005 Trastuzumab plus adjuvant chemotherapy for operable HER2-positive breast cancer. New England Journal of Medicine 353 1673-1684
- Smith I, Procter M, Gelber RD, Guillaume S, Feyereislova A, Dowsett M, Goldhirsch A, Untch M, Mariani G, Baselga J et al.2007 2-year follow-up of trastuzumab after adjuvant chemotherapy in HER2-positive breast cancer: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 369 29-36
- Gerdes J, Schwab U, Lemke H & Stein H1983 Production of a mouse monoclonal antibody reactive with a human nuclear antigen associated with cell proliferation. International Journal of Cancer 31 13-20
- Lopez F, Belloc F, Lacombe F, Dumain P, Reiffers J, Bernard P & Boisseau MR1991 Modalities of synthesis of Ki67 antigen during the stimulation of lymphocytes. Cytometry 12 42-49
- Buckley MF, Sweeney KJ, Hamilton JA, Sini RL, Manning DL, Nicholson RI, deFazio A, Watts CK, Musgrove EA & Sutherland RL.1993 Expression and amplification of cyclin genes in human breast cancer. Oncogene 8 2127-2133.
- Gillett C, Smith P, Gregory W, Richards M, Millis R, Peters G & Barnes D.1996 Cyclin D1 and prognosis in human breast cancer. International Journal of Cancer 69 92-99.
- Ormandy CJ, Musgrove EA, Hui R, Daly RJ & Sutherland RL2003 Cyclin D1, EMS1 and 11q13 amplification in breast cancer. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment 78 323-335.
- Koff A, Giordano A, Desai D, Yamashita K, Harper JW, Elledge S, Nishimoto T, Morgan DO, Franza BR & Roberts JM1992 Formation and activation of a cyclin E-cdk2 complex during the G1 phase of the human cell cycle. Science 257 1689-1694
- Keyomarsi K, Tucker SL, Buchholz TA, Callister M, Ding Y, Hortobagyi GN, Bedrosian I,Knickerbocker C,Toyofuku W, Lowe Met al.002 Cyclin E and survival in patients with breast cancer. New England Journal of Medicine 347 1566-1575
- Bortner DM & Rosenberg MP1997 Induction of mammary gland hyperplasia and carcinomas in transgenic mice expressing human cyclin E. Molecular and Cellular Biology 17 453-459
- Emily M. Fox,Rebecca J. Davis, and Margaret A. ShupnikER? in Breast Cancer - Onlooker, Passive Player, or Active Protector? Steroids. 2008 Oct; 73(11): 1039-1051.
- Marion T Weigel1 and Mitch Dowsett, Current and emerging biomarkers in breast cancer: prognosis and prediction.Endocr Relat Cancer December 1, 2010 17 R245-R262
- Bei Zhang, Feng Feng Cai and Xiao Yan Zhong .An overview of biomarkers for the ovarian cancer diagnosis European Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Reproductive Biology, 2, 158, pages 119 - 123
- Lotzniker M, Pavesi F, Scarabelli M, Vadacca G, Franchi M, Moratti R.Tumour associated antigens CA 15.3 and CA 125 in ovarian cancer. Int J Biol Markers. 1991 Apr-Jun;6(2):115-21.
- Yeung DT, Hughes TP. Therapeutic targeting of BCR-ABL: prognostic markers of response and resistance mechanism in chronic myeloid leukaemia. Crit Rev Oncog. 2012;17(1):17-30.
- Yang J, Zhou M, Zhao R, Peng S, Luo Z, Li X, Cao L, Tang K, Ma J, Xiong W, Fan S, Schmitt DC, Tan M, Li X, Li G Identification of candidate biomarkers for the early detection of nasopharyngeal carcinoma by quantitative proteomic analysis. J Proteomics. 2014 Sep 23;109:162-75. .
- Sharma SV, Bell DW, Settleman J, Haber DA. Epidermal growth factor receptor mutations in lung cancer. Nat Rev Cancer. 2007 Mar;7(3):169-81.
- Jim-nez-Wences H, Peralta-Zaragoza O, Fern-ndez-Tilapa G.Human papilloma virus, DNA methylation and microRNA expression in cervical cancer (Review). Oncol Rep. 2014 Jun;31(6):2467-76.
- Ghorbani M and Karimi H. Cyclin-Dependent Kinases as valid targets for cancer treatment. Journal of Pharmacy Research 2015,9(6),377-382
- Ghorbani M , Karimi H , 'Ion Channels Association with Diseases and their Role as Therapeutic Targets in Drug Discovery', International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), 1(3):65-69,July-August 2015.
- Marinissen MJ, Gutkind JS: G-Protein-coupled receptors and signaling networks: emerging paradigms. Trends Pharmacol Sci 22: 368-376, 2001
- Ghorbani M , Karimi H , 'Role of Aquaporins in Diseases and Drug Discovery', International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST),1(3):60-64, July-August 2015.
Published in : Volume 1 | Issue 3 | July-August 2015
Date of Publication : 2015-08-25
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 127-132
Manuscript Number : IJSRST151324
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Mahin Ghorbani, Hamed karimi, "Role of Biomarkers in Cancer Research and Drug Development", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 1, Issue 3, pp.127-132, July-August-2015
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST151324