Home > Archives > IJSRST151329
Bridging the Skill Gap in India: Challenges and Solutions
Authors(2) :-Amit Iqbal Srivastava, Aamir Hasan
The globalised world demands vocational skilled manpower to convert growth opportunities into jobs and stable incomes. With millions of new job-seekers entering the job market every year, vocational skill development has become one of India’s urgent priorities. Skill development is one of the essential ingredients for India's future economic growth as the country transforms into a diversified and internationally-competitive economy. Skill development is going to be the defining element in India's growth story. The present paper attempts to study the present skill capacity, need of skill development in India, review the skill development policies, challenges for Skill development along with their solutions. The paper studied the relationship between education, employment and Skill development. The study also found that both the Government and its partner agencies have undertaken various measures/initiatives for the effective implementation of the Skill development system in the country, but there are big challenges which needs quick resolution.
A survey (random survey) method was employed to elicit primary information from 100 students who took STAR training from different NSDC partners in Lucknow. The findings seek to answer some basic questions. Are the youths being really mobilized to be skilled outside the formal education system? Is the training delivery mechanism good enough to make the students employable? Would the industries be willing to cut down the minimum qualification criteria to promote skill development .A questionnaire based on as random sampling, was employed for data collection. Data analysis was accomplished using simple weighted average and percentage method.
Amit Iqbal Srivastava, Aamir Hasan
NSDC,Skill Development,Vocational Education
- Commission, p. (2011) http://populationcommission.nic.in/content/936_1_ProjectedPopulation.aspx, June, [Online], Available: http://populationcommission.nic.in [14 June 2015].
- Coppers and Lybrand (1998) 'Skills development in Higher Education. Report for CVCP/DfEE/HEQE', Committee of Vice-Chancellors and Principals of the universities of the UK (CVCP).
- Cutshell, S. (2003) 'Building 21st Century Schools:Designing smarter,sleeker High-Tech Facilities', in Association for Career and Technical Education, Virginia.
- Dale, M. (1998) Developing management skills: Techniques for improving learning and performance, 2nd edition, London: Kogan Page.
- 'Desiging Spaces for Effective Learning: A guide to 21st century learning space design' (2006), Joint Information Systems Committee (JISC) The Higher Education Funding Council for England, Bristol.
- Development, M.o.S. (2015) http://www.skilldevelopment.gov.in/higher-education.html, June, [Online], Available: http://www.skilldevelopment.gov.in/higher-education.html [June 2015].
- Esland, G. (1991) Education, training and unemployment: Vol. 1., Wokingham: Addison-Wesley Pub & The Open University.
- FICCI (2012) http://www.ficci.com/sector/74/Project_docs/SectorProfile.pdf, [Online] .
- Harvey, L. (1997) 'Graduates’ work: organisational change and student attributes', Centre for Research into Quality.
- Harvey, L. (2000a) 'New realities: the relationship between higher education and employment', Tertiary Education and Management, vol. 6, pp. 3-17.
- Hillage, J. and Pollard, E. (1998) 'Employability: developing a framework for policy analysis' Department for Education and Employment.
- http://www.nsdcindia.org/sites/default/files/files/Organised-Retail-2009.pdf (2009), [Online], Available: http://www.nsdcindia.org/sites/default/files/files/Organised-Retail-2009.pdf .
- Jamieson, P..a. (2000) 'Place and Space in the Design of New Learning Environments', Higher Education Research and Development, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 221-237.
- Little, B. (2001) 'Reading between the lines of graduate employment', Quality in Higher Education, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 121-129.
- Ministry of Micro, s.a.m.e. (2009) http://www.dcmsme.gov.in/, June, [Online], Available: dcmsme.gov.in/The_Challenge_of_Employment_in_India.pdf [13 June 2015].
- Organisation, I.L. (2011) Labour market performance and the challenges of creating employment in India, 23 June 2011 June, [Online], Available: http://www.ilo.org/global/publications/lang--en/index.htm [23 June 2011].
- Trowler, P. (1995) Sociology in action: Investigating education & training., London: Collins Educational.
- van der Heijden, B. (2001) 'Pre-requisites to guarantee life-long employability', Personnel Review, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 44-61.
- Wolff, S.J. (n.d) 'Design Features for Project-Based Learning, Design Share, Inc', http://www.designshare.com/Research/Wolff/Project_Learning.htm.
Published in : Volume 1 | Issue 4 | September-October 2015
Date of Publication : 2015-11-05
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 318-329
Manuscript Number : IJSRST151329
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Amit Iqbal Srivastava, Aamir Hasan
, "Bridging the Skill Gap in India: Challenges and Solutions ", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 1, Issue 4, pp.318-329, September-October-2015
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST151329