Home > Archives > IJSRST15133
Influence of Boron and Zinc on Nitrate and Nitrite Reductase Activity in Roots and Leaves, and Sulfur Containing Amino Acids, Protein and Oil Content in Seeds of Soybean [GLYCINE MAX (L.) Merr.]
Authors(2) :-A. Hemantaranjan, A. K. Trivedi
Field Studies were conducted over two years on sandy loam soils, on the influence of boron (B) and zinc (Zn), on nitrate reductase (NR), nitrite reductase (NiR) activities in roots and leaves, and sulfur containing amino acids, viz., cysteine, cystine and methionine; protein, and oil content in seeds of soybean. Enzymatic activities were measured at 30, 60 and 90 days after emergence (DAE). Amino acids, protein and oil content were estimated in seeds after harvest. In absence of B and Zn applications, B and Zn symptoms such as distorted, chlorotic and puckered appearance of leaves, dwarfed plants, impaired flower development and seed set were noted. B and Zn applications were effective in overcoming the B and Zn deficiency symptoms. A significant increase in the nitrate reductase (NR) and nitrite reductase (NiR) activity in roots and leaves were noted. Sulphur containing amino acids (Cysteine, cystine and methionine), protein and oil content in seeds also significantly increased by B and Zn treatments. This work, in part, gives insight in mitigating environmental stresses through applications of micronutrients B and Zn.
A. Hemantaranjan, A. K. Trivedi
Soybean seed, Boron, Zinc, Enzyme activity, Amino acids, Oil content
- Beevers L, Hageman RH (1969) Nitrate reduction in higher plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology, 20:495-522.
- Bieleski RL, Turner NA (1966). Separation and estimation of amino acids in crude plant extracts by a thin-layer electrophoresis and chromatography. Analytical Biochemistry, 17:287-293.
- Bolanos L, Esteban E, de Lornzo C, Fernandez-Pascual M, de Felipe MR, Garate A, Bonilla I?? (1994) Essentiality of boron for symbiotic dinitrogen fixation in pea (Pisum sativum) rhizobium nodules. Plant Physiology, 104:85-90.
- Bonilla I, Cadahia C, Carpena O, Hernado V (1980) Effect of boron on nitrogen metabolism and sugar levels of sugarbeet. Plant and Soil, 57:3-9.
- Cakmak I, Marschner H, Bangerth F (1989) Effect of zinc nutritional status on growth, protein metabolism and levels of Indole-3 acetic acid and other phytohormones in bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) Journal of Experimental Botany, 40:405-412.
- Cakmak I, Marschner H (1993). Effect of zinc nutritional status on activities of superoxide radical and hydrogen peroxide scavenzing enzymes in bean leaves. Plant and Soil, 155/156:127-130.
- Chesnin L, Yein CH (1950) Turbidimetric determination of available sulphur. Soil Science Society of America Proceedings, 15:149-151.
- Evans HJ, Nason A (1953). Pyridine nucleotide ??? nitrate reductase from extracts of higher plants. Plant Physiology, 28:233-254.
- Ferari TE, Varner JE?? (1971) Intact tissue assay for nitrate reductase in barley aleurone layer. Plant Physiology, 47:790-794.
- Garg OK, Hemantaranjan A, Ramesh C (1986) Effect of iron and zinc fertilization on senescence in french bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.). Journal of Plant Nutrition, 9:256-266.
- Gomez KA, Gomez AA (1984). Statistical Procedures for Agricultural Research. Ed. J. John Wiley and Sons., Inc. U. S. A.
- Graser TA, Godel HG, Albers S, F??ldi P and F??rst P (1985) An ultra-rapid and sensitive high-performance liquid chromatographic method for determination of tissue and plasma free amino acids. Analytical Biochemistry, 151:142-152.
- Hanson WD, Leffel RC, Howell R (1961) Genetic analysis of energy production in the soybean. Crop Science, 1:121-126.
- Iqtidar A, Rehman SF (1984) Effect of boron on the protein and amino acid composition of wheat grain. Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 103:75-80.
- Jackson ML (1973) Soil Chemical Analysis, Prentice ??? Hall of India Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi.
- Kartha ARS, Sethi AS (1957) A cold percolation method for rapid gravimetric estimation of oil in small quantities of oil seeds. Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 27:211-217.
- Kitagishi K, Obata H (1986) Effect of zinc deficiency on the nitrogen metabolism of meristematic tissues of rice plants with reference to protein synthesis. Soil Science Plant Nutrition, 32:397-405.
- Lindsay W, Norvell WA (1978). Development of DTPA soil test for zinc, iron, manganese and copper. Soil Science Society of America Proceedings, 42:421-428.
- Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ, Farr AL, Randall RJ (1951) Protein measurement with folin reagent. The Journal of Biological Chemistry, 193:265-275.
- Misra SM, Sinha NC,?? Tomer PS (1991) Seed yield of sorghum in an Alfisol in relation to boron at reproductive phase. Plant and Soil, 132:293-296.
- Nicholas JC, Harper JE,?? Hageman RH (1976) Nitrate reductase activity in soybean [Glycine max (L.) Merr.]. I. Effect of light and temperature. Plant Physiology, 58:731-735.
- Olsen SR, Cole CV, Walanbdable FS, Dean LA (1954) Estimation of available phosphorus in soil extraction with sodium bicarbonate. USDA, Circular 939, pp. 19-23 (Fine Methods of Soil Analysis: Agronomy No. 9 ed., C. A. Black, American Society of Agronomy Inc., Madison Wisconin).
- Ramon AM, Carpena RRO?? and Garate A (1989). In vitro stabilization and distribution of nitrate reductase in tomato plants. Incidence of boron deficiency. Journal of Plant Physiology, 1:126-128.
- Rossel RA, Ulrich A (1964) Critical zinc concentration and leaf minerals of sugarbeet plants. Soil Science, 97:152-167.
- Sharma CP, Gupta JP, Agarwala SC?? (1981). Metabolic changes in Citrullus, subjected to zinc stress. Journal of Plant Nutrition, 3:337-344.
- Sippola J, Ervco R (1977) Determination of boron in soils and plants by azomethine ??? H method. Finnish Chemical Letters, 138-140.
- Subbiah BV and Asija GL (1956) A rapid procedure for the estimation of available nitrogen in soils. Current Science, 25:259-260.
- Wallace W, Pate JS (1967) Nitrate assimilation in higher plants with special reference to cocklebur (Xanthium pennsylvanicum Wallr.) Annals of?? Botany, 31:122-228.
- Weissman GS (1972) Influence of ammonium and nitrate nutrition on the pyridine and adenine nucleotides of sunflower and soybean. Plant Physiology, 49:142-145.
- Woodhouse H, Hardwick K (1966) Growth of tomato seedlings in relation to the form of the nitrogen supply. New Phytologist, 65:518-525.
Published in : Volume 1 | Issue 3 | July-August 2015
Date of Publication : 2015-08-25
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 30-38
Manuscript Number : IJSRST15133
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
A. Hemantaranjan, A. K. Trivedi, "Influence of Boron and Zinc on Nitrate and Nitrite Reductase Activity in Roots and Leaves, and Sulfur Containing Amino Acids, Protein and Oil Content in Seeds of Soybean [GLYCINE MAX (L.) Merr.]", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 1, Issue 3, pp.30-38, July-August-2015
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST15133