Home > Archives > IJSRST151330
Characterization of Carbon Fiber / Epoxy Composites with Different Fiber Parametric Quantity
Authors(3) :-V. Nikil Murthy, Dr. B. Anjaneya Prasad, Dr. M. Ashok Kumar
Aircrafts and cars are made of composites to lighten their weight. Glass fiber reinforced composites due to their high specific strength and specific stiffness have become attractive structural materials. Room temperature cured epoxy was impregnated with Carbon fiber in order to synthesis composites. Carbon fiber is taken in the 3, 5, 7 % weight in order to suspend on epoxy resin with different fiber lengths such as 1, 2, and 3 cm. The variations of mechanical and thermal properties on Carbon fiber-epoxy composites with different fiber lengths have been studied. Thermal properties such as TGA and DSC are studied to investigate the influence of change in fiber length on Carbon fiber-epoxy composites. Significant improvement in tensile and flexural strengths of Carbon fiber-epoxy composites has been observed by the different lengths of the fiber. The results that by taking epoxy 95 % and carbon fiber 5 % as constant with different fiber lengths were increased the mechanical and thermal properties compared with different fiber content in weight percentage. The lengths of the fiber are influenced on the improvement of tensile, flexural, and morphology properties.
V. Nikil Murthy, Dr. B. Anjaneya Prasad, Dr. M. Ashok Kumar
Carbon fiber/Epoxy, Flexural Test, Tensile test, Tensile Modulus, Thermo Gravimetric Analysis (TGA), Differential Scanning Calorimetric (DSC), Scanning Electron microscope (SEM).
- Prashanth Banakar, Influence of Fiber Orientation and Thickness on Tensile Properties of Laminated Polymer Composites Int. J. Pure Appl. Sci. Technol., 9(1) (2012), pp. 61-68 .
- R.Varatharajan et al, Mechanical and machining characteristics of GF/PP and GF/Polyester composites, Material Science and Engineering B 132 (2006), pp 134-137
- S.A.Hitchen, S.L.ogin and P.A.Smith, Effect of fiber length on Fatigue of short carbon fiber/epoxy composite, Composites, Vol26, No 4,1995, p 303.
- Chin-Hsing Chen et al, Pultruded Fiber Reinforced Polyurethane Composites III Static Mechanical, Thermal, and Dynamic Mechanical Properties, Composites Science and Technology 52(1994), pp 427-432.
- Craig D.Snyder et al, Low Density Polyurethane composites, Composites 2002 Convention and Trade Show Composites fabricators Association, September 25-27, 2002, Atlanta, Georgia USA.
- Deng, S., Ye, L. and Mai, Y.-W. (1999). Influence of Fiber Cross-sectional Aspect Ratio on Mechanical Properties of Glass Fiber/Epoxy Composites, 1. Tensile and Flexure Behavior, Composite Science and Technology, 59: 1331–1339
- K. Mohamed Kaleemulla and B. Siddeswarappa(2009). Influence of Fiber Orientation on the In-plane Mechanical Properties of Laminated Hybrid Polymer Composites, Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites 2010, Vol. 29, No. 12/2010: 1900–15
- Baker, A. A., Callus, P. J., Georgiadis, S., Falzon, P. J., Dutton, S. E. and Leong, K. H. (2002). An Affordable Methodology for Replacing Metallic Aircraft Panels with Advanced Composites, Composites: Part A, 33: 687 696
- Mayer S, Cândido GM and Rezende MC. Influence do condicionamentoambientalna Resistencia atraçãode composites de carbon/epoxy reparations. Polímeros2003; 13(3):147153.
- ASTM D3039/D3039M00. Standard test method for tensile properties of polymer matrix composite materials.USA: American Society for Testing Materials; (2004). [CDROM].
- ASTM D3171. Standard Test Methods for Fiber Content of Resin matrix composites by Matrix Digestion. Philadelphia, PA: American Society for Testing and Materials; 1982. p. 122124.
- ASTM D2344. Standard Test Method for Apparent Inter laminar Shear Strength of Parallel Fiber Composites by Short Beam Method.USA: American Society for Testing and Materials; 1984. p. 4345.
- ASTM D3410. Standard Test Method for Compressive Properties of Unidirectional or Cross ply Fiber Resin Composites.USA: American Society for Testing and Materials; 1987. p. 132139.
- Paiva JMF, Mayer S and Rezende MC. Evaluation of Mechanical Properties of Four Different Carbon/Epoxy Composites Used in Aeronautical Field. Materials Research 2005; 8(1):9197.
- Hexcel Composites. Resin systems for advanced composites. Catalog of Hexcel Composites, 2000. Available\ from: http://www.hexcel.com.
- Tanoglu M, Robert S, Hider D, McKnigth SH, Brachos V and Gillespie Jr JW. Effects of thermoplastic performing binder on the properties of S2glass fabric reinforced epoxy composites. International Journal of Adhesion & Adhesives.2001; 21(3):187195.
- Varley RJ, Hodgkin JH and Simon GP. Toughening of a trifunctional epoxy system. Part VI. Structure property relationships of the thermoplastic toughened system.Polymer.2001; 42:38473858.
- Owen MJ. Thermosetting resins. Integrated Design and Manufacture using Fiber Reinforced Polymeric Composites. Owen MJ, Middleton V and Jones IA (editors). USA, England: CRC Press LLC and Wood head Publishing Limited; 2000.
- Norwood LS. Fiber reinforced polymers. In: Handbook of Polymer Composites for Engineers. Holloway L(editor). England: Wood head Publishing Limited; 1994. p. 369.
- Jang BZ. Advanced Polymer Composites: Principles and Applications. USA: ASM International; 1994.
Published in : Volume 1 | Issue 4 | September-October 2015
Date of Publication : 2015-10-25
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 49-58
Manuscript Number : IJSRST151330
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
V. Nikil Murthy, Dr. B. Anjaneya Prasad, Dr. M. Ashok Kumar, "Characterization of Carbon Fiber / Epoxy Composites with Different Fiber Parametric Quantity", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 1, Issue 4, pp.49-58, September-October-2015.
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST151330