Home > Archives > IJSRST15134
Reproductive performance of Red Sokoto Goats from a semi-intensive management system in semi-arid zone, Nigeria
Authors(4) :-Y. Garba, I. R. Muhammad, B. F. Muhammad , S. A. Maigandi
On-farm data were collected to evaluate reproductive performance of Red Sokoto does reared under small-holder agro-pastoral production system within metropolitan Kano, semi-arid, Nigeria. The effects of age of dams, parity, litter size(s) and sex of kid(s) on pre-weaning growth rate were investigated. Data was obtained from semi-intensively managed herds of twenty four households for a period of six months. Pregnant does were ear tagged and age determined through dentition. Upon kidding, litter size, parity of dam and sex of kid(s) were recorded. Subsequently, daily liveweight changes of kids was monitored and recorded. Results obtained revealed average weight at birth to be 3.18 kg and 2.87 kg for female and male kids with average daily weight gain of 0.11 and 0.13 kg, respectively. Result also showed that male kids gained higher liveweight from 21st day to weaning and single or twin births had higher liveweight changes relative to triplets. Does at third parity produced kids with higher weight gain. From the results of this study, it is concluded that male kids at 21 days of age (single or twin) or dam at third parity or three years of age be selected for a sound breeding programme.
Y. Garba, I. R. Muhammad, B. F. Muhammad , S. A. Maigandi
agro-pastoral, goats, parity, reproductive, semi-intensive
- Adamu, T. Z.?? and Arowolo, I.O., 2002. Body weight and body condition of Yankasa lambs and Savanna Brown kids from birth to 100 days of life. Journal of Agricultural Science Technology; 12 (2): 92- 96.
- Akanno, E.C.?? and Ibe, S.N., 2006.?? Prediction of body weight of the domestic rabbit at different stages of growth using linear body measurements. Nigerian Journal of Animal Production. 33 (1): 3-8.
- Bemji, M.N., Osinowo, O.A., Ozoje, M.O., Adebambo, O.A. and Aina, A.B.J., 2006.?? Live weight changes during lactation and its relationship with milk off take and yield in West African Dwarf and Red Sokoto goats intensively managed within the humid zone of Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Animal Production. 33 (1): 145-150.
- Braker, M. J. E., Udo, H. M. J. and Webb, E. C., 2002. Impacts of intervention objectives in goat production within subsistence farming systems in South Africa. South African Journal of Animal Science 32(3):187-191.
- Dadi, H., Duguma, G., Shelima, B., Fayera, T., Tadesse, M., Woldu, T. and Tucho, T.A., 2008. Non-genetic Factors Influencing Post-weaning Growth and Reproductive Performances of Arsi-Bale Goats. Livestock Research for Rural Development 20 (7)
- Devendra, C., 2001. Small Ruminants: Imperatives for productivity Enhancement Improved Livelihoods and Rural Growth -A Review. A Plenary paper presented at the First National Small Ruminant Congress at the Central Luzon State University, Munoz, Nueva Ecija, Philippines, 24-25 May.
- Gbangboche, A. B., Adamou-Ndiaye, M., Youssao, A. K. I., Farnir, F., Detilleux, J., Abiola, F. A. and Leroy, P. L., 2006. Non-genetic factors affecting the reproduction performance, lamb growth and productivity indices of Djallonke sheep. Small Ruminant Research. 64 (1); 133-142.
- Hirschenhauser, K, and Oliveira, R.F., 2006. Social modulation of androgens in male vertebrates: meta-analyses of the challenge hypothesis. Animal Behaviour 71: 265-277.
- Kiango, S.M., 1989.?? Some features influencing performance of dairy goats at Magadu Farm. A B.Sc. Agriculture Special Project submitted to Sokoine University of Agriculture, Morogoro, Tanzania 55pp
- SAS Institute Inc. 2000. Statistical Analysis System SAS/STAT. Guide for Personal Computers, Version 6th edition, Cary N.C, USA. pp 967-978
- Solomon, A., Gemeda, D., Ulfina, G., Berhanu, S. and Fikru, T., 2005. Small Ruminant Production System in East Wollega and West Shoa zones. Research Report, Oromia Agricultural Research Institute, Bako Agricultural Research Center, Bako, Ethiopia. Pp 31
- Nkungu, D.R, Kifaro, G.C. and Mtenga, L.A., 1995. Performance of dairy goats, in Mgeta, Morogoro, Tanzania. Srnet Newsletter. 28: 3-8.
- Zahraddeen, D., Butswat., I.S.R. and Mbap, S.T., 2008. Evaluation of some factors influencing growth performance of local Goats in Nigeria. African Journal of Food and Agriculture, Nutrition and Development, 8 (4): 464-479
Published in : Volume 1 | Issue 3 | July-August 2015
Date of Publication : 2015-05-25
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 56-59
Manuscript Number : IJSRST15134
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Y. Garba, I. R. Muhammad, B. F. Muhammad , S. A. Maigandi, "Reproductive performance of Red Sokoto Goats from a semi-intensive management system in semi-arid zone, Nigeria", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 1, Issue 3, pp.56-59, July-August-2015
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST15134