Home > Archives > IJSRST15139
Effects of supplemental lipoic acid on selected antioxidant and mineral in transportation-stressed goats
Authors(2) :-Mohamed H. E., Elzahrani Magbola S.H.
The objective of this study was to assess the effects of supplemental lipoic acid (LA) on body weight, rectal temperature, vitamin C and E, and plasma copper and zinc status in different breeds of Saudi goats subjected to road transportation. Twenty-four apparently healthy goats (12 from each breed, Aardi and Hejazi) were used in experiment. The experiment was conducted, when the ambient temperature was about 16–24°C. The conditions of transport for all goats were identical. Half on goats will be treated intravenously with LA (25 mg per ml) prior transportation, and the rest with placebo. Goats were transported for 12 hours, and blood samples were collected on prior transportation, at unloading, 12 and 24 hrs post transportation,. Transportation stress caused a significant reduction in vitamin C, E, and plasma copper and zinc in both breeds, with higher reduction of all measured variables in Hejazi compared to Aardi goats. Supplemental LA reduces the negative impact of transportation. Such finding seems important in animal production and welfare, especially under harsh conditions. In conclusion, further studies are required to extend the work on LA during hot conditions in Saudi Arabia.
Mohamed H. E., Elzahrani Magbola S.H.
Goats, Breed; Lipoic acid, Vitamin C, E, Zinc, Copper
- Akpinar D., Yargiçoğlu, P., Derin, N., Alicigüzel, Y., Ağar A., 2008: The effect of lipoic acid on antioxidant status and lipid peroxidation in rats exposed to chronic restraint stress. Physiol. Res.57:893-901.
- Al-Badawi, M.A., Mohamed, H.E., Abudabos, A.M., Alihidary, A., Al-Hassan, M.J., 2013. The effects of transportation on antioxidative biomarkers, rectal and skin temperatures in Aardi. Indian J. Anim. Res.47(5):392-396.
- Aoyama, M., Nehishi, A., Abe, A., Maejima, Y., Sugita, S., 2008. Short-term, transportation in a small vehicle effects the physiological state and subsequent water consumption in goats. Anim. Sci.79:526-533.
- Cooper, J.D., Thadwal, R., Cooper, M.J., 1997. Determination of vitamin E in human plasma by high-performance liquid chromatography. J. Chromatogr. B. Biomed. Sci. Appl. 690(1-2):355-358.
- El-Deeb, W.M., El-Bahr, S.M., 2014. Acute-phase proteins and oxidative stress biomarkers in water buffalo calves subjected to transportation stress. Comp. Clin. Pathol. 23:577-582.
- Kadokawa, H., Noguchi, K., Hajiri, Y., Takeshita, K., Fujii, Y., 2013. Transpirtation decrease the pulse frequency of growth hormone in the blood of prepubertal male calves. Animal Sci. J. 84:60-65.
- Kinnunen, S., Oksala, N., Hyyppa, S., Sen, C.K., Radak, Z., Laaksonen, D.E., Szabo, B., Jakus, J., Atalay, M., 2009. Alpha-Lipoic acid modulates thiol antioxidant defences and attenuates exercise-induced oxidative stress in standard-bred trotters. Free Radical Res.22:1-9.
- Lykkesfeldt, J., Loft, S., and Poulsen, H.E., 1995. Determination of ascorbic acid and dehydroascorbic acid in plasma by High-Performance Liquid Chromatography with Coulometric detection- Are they reliable biomarkers of oxidative stress. Anal. Biochem. 229:329-335.
- Minka, N.S., Ayo, J.O., sackey, A.K.B., Adelaiye, A.B., 2009. Assessment and scoring stresses imposed on goats during handling, loading transportation and unloading, and the effect of pretreatment with ascorbic acid. Livest. Sci. 125(2-30):275-282.
- Mirande-de la Lama, G.C.; Monge, P., Villarroel, M., Olleta, J.L., Garcia-Belenhuer, S., Marian, G.A., 2011. Effects of road type during transport on lamb welfare and meat quality in dry hot climates. Trop. Anim. Health Prod. 43(5):915-922.
- Packer, L., Tristchler, H.J., Wessel, K., 1997. Neuroprotection by the metabolic antioxidant a-lipoic acid. Free Radical Biol. Med. 22:359-378.
Published in : Volume 1 | Issue 4 | September-October 2015
Date of Publication : 2015-10-25
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 95-97
Manuscript Number : IJSRST15139
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Mohamed H. E., Elzahrani Magbola S.H., "Effects of supplemental lipoic acid on selected antioxidant and mineral in transportation-stressed goats", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 1, Issue 4, pp.95-97, September-October-2015
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST15139