Home > Archives > IJSRST151410
An Investigation of the Amount of Dose Rate Due to Radioactive Count within Sokoto Metropolis
Authors(2) :-A. A. Ibrahim, Y. M. Ahijjo
This paper aims to unveil the level of risk to biological system due to ionizing radiation within Sokoto metropolis. It is known to cause cancer and other related ailments. Thirty (30) randomly sampled points were measured with the aid of Dose Rate Meter, Rados [RDS-120]. The energy deposited to biological systems by gamma-ray flux was measured in micro sivert per hour (μSv/hr). We found a significant total amount of dose rate at 2.95 μSv/hr with an arithmetic mean of 0.10 μSv/hr with an annual exposure rate of 864.0 μSv/yr. An amount which is quite significant above the world wide effective dose rate of 70 μSv/yr. This result indicates a radiation hazards contributed by either primordial radionuclides or cosmogenic radionuclides which suggest for mitigation actions and calling for further research.
A. A. Ibrahim, Y. M. Ahijjo
Dose-rate, RDS-120, Sokoto, Gamma-Ray, Cancer
- Yusuf Ahijjo Musa, Adamu Nchama Baba-Kutigi and Musa Momoh 2014. Assessment of Indoor Cancer Linked Radionuclides in Sokoto Urban Dwelling.Journal of Natural Sciences Research. ISSN 2224-3186(Paper) ISSN 2225-0921 (Online) Vol.4, No.1,
- Kogbe, C.A. 1972. Geology of the Upper Cretaceous and Lower Tertiary sediments of the Nigerian sector of the Illummeden Basin (West Africa), Geol. Rdsch. 62, 197 – 211.
- IAEA 2007. Naturally Occurring Radioactive Material (NORM V). Proceedings of an International Symposium. Seville: IAEA
- UNSCEAR 2000. Report to the General Assembly - Sources and Effects of Ionising Radiation - Annex B: Exposures from natural radiation sources.
- Sohrabi, M. 1997. The State-of-the-art on Worldwide Studies in some Environments with Elevated Naturally Occurring Radioactive Materials.
- Sheffield. (n.d.). University of Sheffield. Retrieved May 2010, fromhttp://www.shef.ac.uk/physics/teaching/phy320/images/na-59.gif
- Salbu, B., Burkitbaev, M., Strømman, G., Shishkov, I., Kayukov, P., Uralbekov, B. & Rosseland, B. O. (2012). Environmental impact assessment of radionuclides and trace elements at the Kurday U mining site, Kazakhstan. Journal of Environmental Radioactivity. In press, 171-176.
- Merriam-Webster 2011. Radiation. Retrieved September 25, 2014, from Merriam-Webster: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/radiation
- Shaw G. 2005. Applying radioecology in a world of multiple contaminants. Journal of Environmental Radioactivity 81 (2005) 117e130
- Okosun, E.A., 1989. A Review of the Stratigraphy of Dange Formation (Paleocene), Northwestern Nigeria. Newsletter Stratigraphy. Berlin. Stuttgar, V. 21, pp. 39-47.
- Akande, S.O., Abimbola, A.F. and Erdtmann, B.D., 1999. Cretaceous Tertiary Phosphorites in Nigeria: Paleoenvironments and Genesis. In Stanley et al., (eds). Mineral Deposits, Balkema, Rotterdam, pp. 1069-1072.
- Johnson, A. K., Pierre, R., & Lang, J. 2000. Le basin sedimentairea phosphates du Togo (Maastrichtian–Eocene): Stratigraphae, environnements et evolution. Jour. Afri. Earth Sci., 30(1), 183-200.http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0899-5362(00)00015-4
- Adeleye, O. A., & Akande, S. O. 2004. Mineralogical and geochemical studies of phosphate nodules in the Dange Formation Sokoto basin, north western Nigeria. Jour. Mining & Geol., 40(2), 101-106.
- Adediran, J.A., Oguntoyinbo, F.I., Omonode, R., and R.A. Sobulo, T. 1998. Agronomic evaluation of phosphorus fertilizers (Unpublished). 67-68.
- Bernard Shleien, Lester A. Slaback, Brian Kent Birky, Ed., Handbook of Health Physics and Radiological Health. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore MD, 3rd Edition, 1998.
- Muazu I., Umar I.M., AkpaT.C. and Mallam S.P. 2004. Natural Radioactivity in soils from Sokoto Basin Area, Nigeria. Zuma Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences. Vol.6. No. 2, pp.71-74
- Cross F.T. 1988. Radon Inhalation studies in Animals. Dot/ER-0396. Radon Literature Survey Series. pp 11-13.
- Field RW, Krewski D, Lubin JH, Zielinski JM, Alavanja M, Catalan VS, Klotz JB, Letourneau EG, Lynch CF, Lyon JI, Sandler DP, Schoenberg JB, Steck DJ, Stolwijk JA, Weinberg C, Wilcox HB, 2005. Residential Radon and Risk of Lung Cancer: A Combined Analysis of 7 North American Case-Control Studies,Epidemiology16(2) : 2005,pp.37-45.
Published in : Volume 1 | Issue 4 | September-October 2015
Date of Publication : 2015-10-25
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 70-73
Manuscript Number : IJSRST151410
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
A. A. Ibrahim, Y. M. Ahijjo, "An Investigation of the Amount of Dose Rate Due to Radioactive Count within Sokoto Metropolis", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 1, Issue 4, pp.70-73, September-October-2015
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST151410