Home > Archives > IJSRST151417
Adsorption mechanism of Cu(II) ion Removal from Aqueous Solution using Acid Activated Madhuca longifolia Stem
Authors(4) :-M. Elamaran, S. Arivoli, N. Ingarsal, V Marimuthu
The series of batch laboratory experiment were carried out by using Acid Activated Madhuca longifolia Stem Carbon for the removal of Cu (II) ions from aqueous solution by the adsorption process. The investigation was carried out by studying the influence of initial pH, contact time, adsorbent dosage and initial concentration of Cu(II). All batch experiment was carried out of constant temperature using wrist â€“ action shaker that operated at 200 rpm. The single component equilibrium data was analyzed by Langmuir and Freundlich isotherms. Maximum adsorption of the Cu(II) ions, i.e. >90% has been achieved in aqueous solutions using 0.025g of AMLSC at a pH of 6.6. The kinetic process of Copper AMLSC was described by applying pseudo second order rate equation, Elovich model and intra- particles diffusion. The activated AMLSC investigated in this study carries high potential for the removal of Cu(II) ions from aqueous solution. The various thermodynamic parameters like âˆ†GO, âˆ†HO, and âˆ†SO and were analyzed to observe the nature of adsorption.
M. Elamaran, S. Arivoli, N. Ingarsal, V Marimuthu
Cu(II), AMLSC adsorbent, batch adsorption, adsorption isotherms, kinetics and Thermodynamics.
- C.A. Kozlowski and W. Wakhowiak, Water Res., 36, 4870 (2002).
- D.A. Rios, Fuel, 82, 153 (2003).
- R. Van der Oost, J. Beyer and P. E. Vermeulen, Environ, Toxical, Pharm, 13, 57 (2003).
- S. Verbych, M. Bryk and G. Chornokur, Sep. Sci. Technol., 40, 1749 (2005).
- C. I. Pearce, J. T. Lloyd and J. T. Guthrie, Dyes Pigments, 58, 179 (2003).
- A. Cassano, R. Molinari, M. Romano and E. Drioli, J. Membr. Sci., 181, 111 (2001).
- R. Y. Ning, Desalination, 143, 237 (2002).
- Chockalingam E and Subramanian S, Chemosphere., 62 (2006) 699 – 708.
- Shukla S R and Pai R.S., Bioresour. Technol., 96 (2005) 1430 – 1438.
- Munoz R, Alvarez M T, Munoz A, Terraazas E, Guieysse B and Mattiassion B, Chemosphere., 63 (2006) 903 – 911.
- Badruzzaman M, Westerhoff P and Knappe D R U, Water Res.38 (18) (2004) 4002 – 4012.
- Bhattacharya K G and Sharma A, J.Hazard. Material.,113 (2004) 97 – 109.
- G. Sun and W. Shi, Ind. Eng. Chem, Res., 37 1324 (1998)
- S.Babel and T.A.Kurniawan, J.Hazard Mater., 97, 219 (2003).
- S.M. Nomanbhay and K.Palanisamy, Electronic J.Biotechnol, 8, 43 (2005).
- B.H.Hameed, J Hazard Mat., 162, 305-311. (2009)
- 17R Sudha, K Kalpana, T Rajachandrasekar and S Arivoli E J Chem., 4 (2), 238-254.2007
- D I Mall, V C Srivastava, and N K Agarwal, Dyes and pigments, 69, 210-223, 2006,
- R Sivaraj, C Namasivayam and Kadirvelu, Waste Manage, 2001, 21, 105.
- H. Freundlich., Z Phys. Chem., 57, 385 – 470. (1906)
- Arivoli, S. Kinetic and thermodynamic studies on the adsorption of some metal ions and dyes on to low cost activated carbons, Ph.D., Thesis, Gandhigram Rural University, Gandhigram, (2007).
- X Y Luo, Z X Su, G Y Zhang and X J Chang, Analyst 1992, 117, 145.
- R Schmuhl, H M Krieg and K Keizerk, Water SA, 2001, 27, 1-7.
- I. Langmuir., J. Am.Chem Soc., 579 1361 – 1403. (1918)
- T.W. Weber R.K Chakravorti., J. Am. Inst. Chem. Eng.20, 228. (1974)
- G. McKay, H. S. Blair, J. R. Gardner J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 27 3043 – 3057. (1982)
- A.A. Khan and R.P. Singh, J. Colliod Interf Sci., 24, 33 – 42,(1987).
- Y.S. Ho. G.McKay, Water Res. 34, 735 – 742. (2000)
- S.H. Chien. W.R. Clayton., J Am. Soc Soil Sci.. 44, 265 – 268. (1980)
- D.L. Spark., Kinetics of Reaction in pure and mixed system in soil physical chemistry. CRC. Press, Boca Raton. (1986)
- W. J. Weber, J.C. Morris., J. Sanit Eng. Div. 90, 79. (1964)
Published in : Volume 1 | Issue 5 | November-December 2015
Date of Publication : 2015-12-25
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 137-145
Manuscript Number : IJSRST151417
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
M. Elamaran, S. Arivoli, N. Ingarsal, V Marimuthu, "Adsorption mechanism of Cu(II) ion Removal from Aqueous Solution using Acid Activated Madhuca longifolia Stem", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 1, Issue 5, pp.137-145, November-December-2015
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST151417