Home > Archives > IJSRST151419
Effect of Weaning Age on growth Performance and Feed Conversion Efficiency of Large White Yorkshire (LWY) Piglets under Intensive System of Management in Mizoram
Authors(5) :-G. Kalita, R. Buragohain, P. Saikia, K. Sarma, S. Rahman
The study was for assessment of weaning age on growth performance and feed conversion efficiency of LWY piglets under intensive system of management in Mizoram. The study was conducted on piglets from twelve LWY sows. The sows were selected based on parity, sire mated, litter size and weight, and divided into three homogenized groups with 4 sows in each group (T1, T2 and T3). Piglets of T1 group were weaned at 28 days, of T2 at 35 days and of T3 at 42 days of age. The weaned piglets were reared up to 77th days of age. The animals were reared under intensive system of management following standard feeding and managemental norms. The average body weight of piglets weaned at 28th and 35th day of age were found to be significantly (P<0.05) higher than the body weights of piglets weaned at 42nd day of age. The body weight gain of the early weaned piglets was observed to be higher than the late weaned piglets. The average total body weight gain at 77th day of age was found to be 19.11, 17.72 and 16.60 kg, respectively for piglets weaned at 28th, 35th and 42nd day age. Feed conversion efficiency at 77th day of age was recorded as 2.32±0.16, 2.44±0.19 and 2.48±0.07 indicated that early weaned piglets performed well under the same feeding and managemental situation. From the findings of the study, it was concluded that weaning at 28th day of age may be recommended for LWY piglets under intensive management in Mizoram.
G. Kalita, R. Buragohain, P. Saikia, K. Sarma, S. Rahman
Weaning age, LWY piglets, growth, feed conversion efficiency, Mizoram.
- Chatterjee J.K, Majumder S.C, Roy S.K, Maitra D.S (1987): “Effect of early weaning on the performance of pure and crossbred piglets”, Indian J. of Animal Sciences, Vol.57, No.7, Pp 770-772.
- Whittemore C.T (1998): “The science and Practice of Pig Production (2nd edition),” Blackwell Science Ltd, Oxford UK.
- Bhatia S.S, Chhabra A.K, Agarwal D.K (1985): “Effect of age at weaning on sow productivity”, Indian J. Anim. Res, Vol.19, No.1, Pp 48-50.
- NRC (1998): “Nutrient requirement of pigs,” 9th Edition, National Research Council, USA.
- Snedecor G.W, Cochran W.G (1994): “Statistical methods,” 8th edn. Iowa State University Press, USA.
- Kuller W.I, Soede N.M, Van Beers-Schreurs H.M.G, Langendijk P (2007): “Effects of intermittent suckling and creep feed intake on pig performance from birth to slaughter,” J Anim Sci, Vol.85, Pp 1295-1301.
- Sulabo R.C, Jacela J.Y, Tokach M.D, Dritz S.S, Goodband R.D, De Rouchey J.M, Nelssen J.L (2010): “Effects of lactation feed intake and creep feeding on sow and piglet performance,” J Anim Sci, Vol. 88, Pp 3145-3153.
- Fraser D, Feddes J.J.R, Pajor E.A (1994): “The relationship between creep feeding behaviour of piglets and adaptation to weaning: Effect of diet quality,” Can. J. Anim. Sci, Vol. 74, Pp 1-6.
- Mahan D.C (1993): “Effect of weight, split-weaning, and nursery feeding programs on performance responses of pigs to 105 kilograms body weight and subsequent effects on sow,” J Anim Sci., Vol. 71, Pp 1991-1995.
- Abraham J. (2001): “Effect of different weaning management systems on the performance of Landrace x Desi pigs,” M.V.Sc. Thesis, IVRI, Izatnagar, Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh.
- Phukon J.C (2011): “Influence of early weaning on productive performance in Large White Yorkshire pigs,” M.V.Sc. thesis, submitted to Tamil Nadu University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences (TANUVAS), Tamil Nadu.
- Mavromichalis I (2006): “Applied nutrition for young pigs,” CABI, Wallingford, Oxfordshire OX10 8DE, United Kingdom.
- Rava S (1991): “Effect of skim milk feeding and early weaning on the growth performance of Hampshire pig,” M.V.Sc. thesis, College of Veterinary Science, Assam Agricultural University, Khanapara, Guwahati-22, Assam.
- Collin C.L, Leury B.J, Dunshea F.R (2010): “Early weaning has minimal effects on lifetime growth performance and body composition of pigs,” Anim. Prod., Vol. 50, Pp 79-87.
- Suryanarayana M.V.A.N, Suresh J (2011): “Effect of early weaning on behavioural patterns in piglets,” Tamilnadu J. Veterinary & Animal Sciences, Vol. 7, No. 3, Pp 133-136.
Published in : Volume 1 | Issue 4 | September-October 2015
Date of Publication : 2015-10-25
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 90-94
Manuscript Number : IJSRST151419
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
G. Kalita, R. Buragohain, P. Saikia, K. Sarma, S. Rahman, "Effect of Weaning Age on growth Performance and Feed Conversion Efficiency of Large White Yorkshire (LWY) Piglets under Intensive System of Management in Mizoram", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 1, Issue 4, pp.90-94, September-October-2015.
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST151419