Home > Archives > IJSRST151425
Evaluation of Heavy Metals' Concentrations in Sand Deposits along Heavy Traffic Areas in Port Harcourt Metropolis, Nigeria
Authors(2) :-Christian Mathew , Chinda Worokwu
Roadside sand deposits are common menaces on our roads within the cities of Nigeria, especially as they become air-borne due to heavy human and vehicular traffic as well as natural factors such as wild wind. Ten heavy locations were identified and samples collected and analyzed for 9 heavy metals: Cadmium (Cd), Chromium (Cr), Cobalt (Co), Copper (Cu), Iron (Fe), Manganese (Mn), Lead (Pb) and Zinc (Zn) in Port Harcourt City. Analysis was done using atomic absorption spectrophotometer and data generated were analyzed using descriptive statistics with Microsoft excel 2010. Results from the analyses show that all identified sample points are loaded with significant amounts of all the metals investigated at environmentally unacceptable levels. Iron was identified in triple digits in all sample points. Cadmium and lead were found to be significantly high so are other metals with respect to Who (1984) and FEPA (2003) regulations. These concentrations may be directly translated to the bioavailability of these metals which have very strong toxicological implications of these metals in the environment. Therefore, the present practice of sweeping roadside of sand deposits is obviously not effective especially at the junctions which are hardly attended due the heavy vehicular and human traffic.
Christian Mathew , Chinda Worokwu
Heavy Metals, Heavy Traffic, Sand deposits, Port Harcourt
- Greater Port Harcourt City Development Authority, (GPHCDA). 2010. Overview of the Greater Port Harcourt City Master Plan and Opportunities in Building a World Class City Over the Next 20 years. A 24-page Presentation by the Administrator. (Sep. 2010) pghcity.com.
- D. Kio-Lawson and J. B. Dekor. 2014. Port Harcourt, the City: A Garden of Residents Nightmare. World Environment. DOI: 10.5923/J.ENV.20140403.03
- H. M. Zakir, N. Sultana and M. Akter. 2014. Heavy Metal Contamination in Roadside Soils and Grasses: A Case Study from Dhaka City, Bangladesh. Journal of Chemical, Biological and Physical Sciences. Environmental Sciences. (Feb. 2014). ISSN: 2249-1929. www.jcbsc.org
- G. M. Mafuyai, N. M. Kamoh, N. S. Kangpe, S. M. Ayuba1 and I. S. Eneji. 2015. Heavy Metals Contamination in Roadside Dust along Major Traffic Roads in Jos Metropolitan Area, Nigeria. Journal of Environment and Earth Science .( ISSN: 2224-3216. www.iiste.org,
- C. N. Mbah and M. A. N. Anikwe. 2010. Variation in heavy metal contents on roadside soils along a major express way in South-East Nigeria. New York Science Journal. (Oct 2010). ISSN: 1554-0200. http://www.sciencepub.net/newyork
- O. C. Matthews-Amune and S. Kakulu. 2013. Investigation of heavy metal levels in roadside agricultural soil and plant samples in Adogo, Nigeria. Academia Journal of Environmental Sciences. (Feb. 2013). ISSN: 2315-778X. http://dx.doi.org/10.15413/ajes.2012.0123
- M. A. Addo, E.O. Darko, C. Gordon, B. J. B. Nyarko and J. K. Gbadago. 2012. Heavy Metal Concentrations in Road Deposited Dust at Ketu-South District, Ghana. Int’l Journal of Science and Technology. (Jan. 2012). ISSN 2224-3577. http://www.ejournalofsciences.org
- K. F.Akbar, W. H. G. Hale, A. D. Headley, and M. Athar. 2006. Heavy Metal Contamination of Roadside Soils. Soil & Water Resource 1, 4:158-163. (Oct. 2006)
- S. P. Raj and P. A. Ram. (2013) Determination and Contamination Assessment of Pb, Cd, and Hg in Roadside Dust along Kathmandu-Bhaktapur Road Section of Arniko Highway, Nepal. Research Journal of Chemical Sciences. (Sep. 2013). ISSN 2231-606X.1
- J. T. Ayodele, and I. D. Gimba. 2002. Heavy metals in Airborne Particulate Harmattan Dust in Kano-North Nigeria. Asset Series, B,1: 1, 9-20.
Published in : Volume 1 | Issue 4 | September-October 2015
Date of Publication : 2015-10-25
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 116-119
Manuscript Number : IJSRST151425
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Christian Mathew , Chinda Worokwu, "Evaluation of Heavy Metals' Concentrations in Sand Deposits along Heavy Traffic Areas in Port Harcourt Metropolis, Nigeria", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 1, Issue 4, pp.116-119, September-October-2015
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST151425