Home > Archives > IJSRST151432
Geo-electrical Evaluation of the Effects of Waste Dump Sites on Groundwater in Eneka, Rivers State, Nigeria
Authors(2) :-S. A Ugwu, H. O. Nwankwoala
This study aims at investigating the effects of waste dumps on the groundwater in Eneka using resistivity method. Two dump sites and a dump-free site were investigated in the area. The investigation involved seven horizontal resistivity profiling and four vertical electrical soundings. The result of the investigation revealed that the surrounding soil and water in the waste dumpsites have been contaminated to depths below 20 meters which is within the aquifer system of the area. This was evident in the attendant low resistivity values of 0.04 ohm.m - 60.07 ohm.m around the dumpsites relative to the high resistivity values greater than 500 ohm.m in the dump - free areas. The results of the investigation are serious considering the negative implications on public health and the ecosystem of the area if not checked, monitored and managed.
S. A Ugwu, H. O. Nwankwoala
Geo-electric, Resistivity, Waste Dumpsites, Groundwater, Boreholes, Aquifers
- Barker, R. D. (1996): The application of electrical tomography in groundwater contamination studies. EAGE, 58th annual conference and technical exhibition extended abstract. P82.
- Berstone, C. and Dahlin, T. (1996): 2-D Resistivity of old landfill processes. 2nd European EEGS meeting, Nantes France, 2nd – 4th Sept., 1996. 188 – 191.
- Etu-Efeotor, J.O and M.I Odigi (1983): Water supply problems in the Eastern Niger Delta. J. Mining Geol., Vol.20 (1& 2), pp183-193
- Griffiths, D. H. and Barker, R. D. (1993): Two – dimensional resistivity imaging and modeling in areas of complex geology. Journal of Applied Geophysics. 20:211-226.
- Loke, M. H. (1999): Time-lapse resistivity imaging inversion. Proceeding of the 5th meeting of the environmental and engineering geophysical society.
- Reyment, R.A (1965): ” Aspects of the geology of Nigeria” Ibadan Univ. Press, Nigeria.
- Short, K. C. and Stauble, A. J. (1967): Outline Geology of the Niger Delta. AAPG Bulletin. 51: 761-779.
- Udom, G. J. and Esu, E. O. (2004): A preliminary Assessment of the Impact of Solid Wastes on Soil and Groundwater System in Part of Port Harcourt city and its environs, Rivers State, Nigeria. Global Journal of Environmental Sciences vol. 4(1):
- Udom, G. J., Etu – Efeotor, J. O. and Esu, E. O. (1999): Hydrogeochemistry of Groundwater in part of Port Harcourt and Tai Eleme Local Government Area, Rivers State. Global Journal of Pure and Applied Science. 5; 545 – 551.
- Ugwu, S. A. and Nwosu, J. I. (2009): Effects of Waste dumps on Groundwater in Choba Using Geophysical Methods. Journal of Applied Sciences and Environmental Management. Vol. 13, No. 1. March, 2009, pp 35-89.
Published in : Volume 1 | Issue 5 | November-December 2015
Date of Publication : 2015-12-25
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 294-301
Manuscript Number : IJSRST151432
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
S. A Ugwu, H. O. Nwankwoala, "Geo-electrical Evaluation of the Effects of Waste Dump Sites on Groundwater in Eneka, Rivers State, Nigeria", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 1, Issue 5, pp.294-301, November-December-2015.
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST151432