Home > Archives > IJSRST151435
Comparison of Different Parameters of Four Selected Industrial Effluents in Chittagong Metropolitan, Bangladesh
Authors(4) :-Shafat Hosen, Ohidul Alam, Milan Kumar Chakraborty, Khaled Misbahuzzaman
A study was executed at Nasirabad Industrial Area, Chittagong to compare important parameters of industrial effluents viz. physical, chemical and heavy metals from four types of industries such as steel, textile, chemical and garments. For sample collection three points were selected from each industry-discharging, mixing and universal points. Then all collected samples were analysed by using pH electrode, DO electrode, sension 156 portable multi-parameter meter, and spectrophotometer etc. It revealed that effluents from garment industry were awfully polluted, they exposed the lowest DO value (1.0 mg/L) and highest TDS (512 mg/L), EC (1135 mho/cm) and BOD (76.66 mg/L), COD (326 mg/L), Chromium (0.283 mg/L), Zinc (0.041 mg/L) and Lead (0.69 mg/L). Most of the cases the second point showed surpassing effluents accumulated. Comparatively, steel industry was found less contaminated as-well-as in all industries universal points wherein all parameters showed the values is under standard level due to natural assimilative capacity.
Shafat Hosen, Ohidul Alam, Milan Kumar Chakraborty, Khaled Misbahuzzaman
Industrial effluent, parameters, pH, TDS, BOD, COD, EC, and Heavy metals.
- Ahmed, A.U, Reazuddin, M. 2000. Industrial Pollution of Water Systems in Bangladesh, Press Limited, Dhaka.
- Ahmed, M.J., Nizamuddin M. 2012. Physicochemical Assessment of Textile Effluents in Chittagong Region of Bangladesh and Their Possible Effects on Environment. International Journal of Research in Chemistry and Environment, 2 (2012): 220-230
- Akter, S. 2010. Efficiency of Effluent Treatment Plant of Three Different Types of Industries in Chittagong District. A dissertation for the partial fulfillment of MS (Thesis) degree in Environmental Science. Institute of Forestry and Environmental Sciences, University of Chittagong.
- Annon, 2009. Regulation of Arsenic: A Brief Survey and Bibliography. Arsenic: Environmental Chemistry, Health Threats and Waste Treatment Published Online: 3 MAR 2009
- Asokan, R.; Shavakumar, N., 2002. Effluent Treatment in Textile Wet Processing, Industrial Training Programme, Bannari Amman Institute of Technology, 77-84.
- Chhatwal, G. R., Mehar, M. C., Stake, M., Katyal, T., Katyal, M., Nagahiro, T., 1999. Environmental Water Pollution and Its Control. Amol Publications Ltd, India
- Department of Environment (DoE), 2008. Guide for Assessment of Effluent Treatment Plants in EMP/EIA. Reports for Textile Industries.
- Gain, P., Moral, S, 2002. Bangladesh Environment: Facing 21st Century. Society for Environment and Human Development (SEHD), Lalmatia, Dhaka.
- Government of Bangladesh (GoB), 1997. Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh. Environment Conservation Rules (ECR). Bangladesh Gazette Publications.
- Huq, M. and Wheeler, D., 1993. Pollution Reduction without Formal Regulation: Evidence from Bangladesh. Environment Department Divisional Working Paper #1993-39, Pollution and Environmental Economics Division, the World Bank.
- Kumar, U., Kulkarni, B., 2000. Water Environment and Pollution. Agrobias Publishing House, Jodhpur, India. 1-226 pp.
- Lamb, J.C. 1985. Water Quality and Its Control. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. Canada. 145-308pp.
- Murphy, S., 2007. Central Information of Dissolved Oxygen. University of Colorado at Bounder, Colorado. http:// www. bcn. Boulder.co.us/basin.html. (Last accessed on 14thOctober, 2012)
- Orhon, D., Babuna, F.G., Karahan, O., 2009. Industrial Wastewater Treatment by Activated Sludge. IWA Publishing Alliance House, 12 Caxton Street, London SW1H 0QS, Uk
- Pandey, G. N., 1997. Environmental Management. Vikas Publishing House Pvt. Ltd. 576, Masjid Road, Jangpura, New Delhi, India.
- Rajvaidya, N., Trivedi, P., 1996. Waste Water Treatment. Anmol Publication. New Delhi. Vol-2. 240 pp.
- Senger, D. S., 1999. Environmental Enactments and Enforcements towards Sustainable 25 – 42 pp. In: G.C. Pande and D.C Pande. Environmental Development and Management. Amol Publications Private Ltd, India.
- Trivedi, P.R., Raj, G., 1997. Encyclopedia of Environmental Sciences. Vol 25. Akashdeep Publishing House. New Delhi. 1 – 198 pp.
- Ullah, K., 2011. Effluent Characteristics of Some Selected Industries at Nasirabad Industrial Area. A dissertation for the partial fulfillment of four year B.Sc (Hons.) degree in Environmental Science. Institute of Forestry and Environmental Sciences, University of Chittagong, Bangladesh. (Unpublished)
- Wong, Y.C., Moganaragi, V., Atiqah, N.A., 2013. Physico-chemical Investigations of Semiconductor Industrial, Wastewater. Oriental Journal of Chemistry, 29(4): 1421-1428
Published in : Volume 1 | Issue 4 | September-October 2015
Date of Publication : 2015-10-25
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 140-150
Manuscript Number : IJSRST151435
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Shafat Hosen, Ohidul Alam, Milan Kumar Chakraborty, Khaled Misbahuzzaman, "Comparison of Different Parameters of Four Selected Industrial Effluents in Chittagong Metropolitan, Bangladesh", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 1, Issue 4, pp.140-150, September-October-2015
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST151435