Home > Archives > IJSRST151438
Synchronization of Ovulation in Bovines - A Review
Authors(3) :-C. Velladurai, R. Ezakial Napolean, M.Selvaraju
Reproductive performance is the pivotal physiological process for a successful dairy farm. Many dairy herds incur a substantial cut in the economy due to the poor conception rate and proper herd replacement. Proper oestrus detection coupled with efficient insemination technique using quality semen in a healthy uterine environment critically resulted in high rate of reproduction in bovines (Yildiz, 2005). However, first service conception rate to Artificial Insemination (AI) in cows had fallen away from approximately 65 to 40 per cent or lower (Weigel, 2006). Although, the cause has not yet been fully described, the fertility of dairy cows is declining worldwide (Thatcher et al., 2006). Development of Timed Artificial Insemination (TAI) programs allows reduced emphasis on detection of oestrus because all cows are inseminated at a specific time in relation to the hormone injection (Yildiz, 2010).
C. Velladurai, R. Ezakial Napolean, M.Selvaraju
GnRH,PGF2α,TAI, ECP, Ovsynch,Heatsynch, Presynch, Select Synch, Co-Synch, Hybrid Synch, Ovsynch plus progesterone
- MathAmbrose, J,D., J.P.Kastelic, R.Rajamahendran, M.Aali and N.Dinn, 2005. Progesterone (CIDR)-based timed AI protocols using GnRH, porcine LH and estradiol cypionate for dairy heifers: Ovarian and endocrine responses and pregnancy rates. Theriogenology, 64: 1457-1474.
- Cecyre, D., L.Descoteaux and E.Bouchard, 2002. Evaluation of a protocol for synchronization of ovulation using GnRH and PGF2a in dairy cows. Anim. Breed. Abstr., 70: 1230.
- Constantaras, M.E. and D.J.Kesler, 2004. Synchronization of oestrus in beef cows using a GnRH and/or MGA based system. In: Proceeding of Applied Reproductive Strategies in Beef cattle. October 27 and 28. pp:52.
- Dagli, N.R., S.V.Fulawane and S.A.Bakahi, 2008. Use of ovsynch an effective reproductive managemental tool for a dairy farm. In: Proceeding of XXIV annual Convention of ISSAR and National Symposium held at KVAFSU, Bangalore, 11-13 Dec., pp: 62.
- Dejarnette, J.M. and C.E.Marshall, 2003. Effects of presynchronization using combinations of PGF2α and (or) GnRH on pregnancy rates of ovsynch and co-synch-treated lactating Holstein cows. Anim. Reprod. Sci., 77: 51-60.
- Dejarnette, J.M., M.L.Day, R.B.House, R.A.Wallace and C.E.Marshall, 2001b. Effect of GnRH pretreatment on reproductive performance of postpartum suckled beef cows following synchronization of oestrus using GnRH and PGF2α. J. Anim. Sci., 79: 1675-1682.
- Dejarnette, J.M., R.B.House, W.H.Ayars, R.A.Wallace and C.E.Marshall, 2004. Synchronization of estrus in postpartum beef cows and virgin heifers using combinations of Melengestrol acetate, GnRH, and PGF2α. J. Anim. Sci., 82: 867-877.
- Dejarnette, J.M., R.R.Salverson and C.E.Marshall, 2001a. Incidence of premature estrus in lactating dairy cows and conception rates to standing estrus or fixed-time inseminations after synchronization using GnRH and PGF2α. Anim. Reprod. Sci., 67: 27-35.
- Drost, M. and W.W.Thatcher, 1992, Application of gonadotropin releasing hormone as therapeutic agent in animal reproduction. Anim. Reprod. Sci., 28: 11-19.
- El-Zarkouny, S.Z., J.A.Cartmill, B.A.Hensley and J.S.Stevenson, 2004. Presynchronization of oestrous cycles before ovsynch and progesterone in dairy cows: Ovulation, pregnancy rates and embryo survival. J. Dairy Sci., 87: 27-35.
- Feng, L.J., X.Huizhong, Z.Fuyuan, Z.Zijian, C.F.Xiang, Z.J.Hua, 2003. Artifical insemination programme using GnRH, PGF2a and PRID in yellow cattle. Anim. Breed. Abstr., 71: 308.
- Fricke, P.M. and M.C.Wiltbank, 1999. Effect of milk production on the incidence of double ovulation in dairy cows. Theriogenology, 52: 1133-1143.
- Fricke, P.M., J.N.Guenther and M.C.Wiltbank, 1998. Efficacy of decreasing the dose of GnRH used in a protocol for synchronization of ovulation and timed AI in lactating dairy cows. Theriogenology, 50: 1275-1284.
- Geary, T.W. and J.C.Whittier, 1998. Effects of a timed insemination following synchronization of ovulation using the ovsynch or co-synch protocol in beef cows. Proj. Anim. Sci., 14: 217-220.
- Geary, T.W., J.C.Whitter, E.R.Downing, D.R.W.Silcox, M.D.Holland, T.M.Nett and D.G. Niswender, 1998. Pregnancy rates of postpartum beef cows that were synchronized using synchromate-B or ovsynch protocol. J. Anim. Sci., 76: 1523-1527.
- Geary, T.W., R.R.Salverson and J.C.Whittier, 2001. Synchronization of ovulation using GnRH or hCG with the Co-synch protocol in suckled beef cows. J. Anim. Sci., 79: 2536-2541.
- Jemmeson, A., 2000. Synchronising ovulation in dairy cows with either two treatments of GnRH and one of prostaglandin, or two treatments of prostaglandin. Aust. Vet. J., 78: 108-111.
- Keskin, A., G.Yilmazbas-Mecioglu, A.Jumen, E.Karakaya, Y.Celik, H.Okut and M.C.Wiltbank, 2011. Comparison of responses to ovsynch between Holstein-Friesian and Swedish Red cows. J. Dairy Sci., 94: 1784-1789.
- Klindworth, H.P., M.Hoedemaker, D.Bufeindt and T.Heinkenbrinker, 2001. Synchronization of ovulation (ovsynch) in high producing dairy herds. Anim. Breed. Abstr., 69: 758.
- Kojima, F.N., B.E.Salfen, J.F.Bader, W.A.Ricke, M.C.Lucy, M.F.Smith and D.J.Patterson, 2000. Development of an oestrus synchronization protocol for beef cattle with short-term feeding of Melengestrol acetate. J. Anim. Sci., 78: 2186-2191.
- Larson, J.E., G.C.Lamb, J.S.Stevenson, T.W.Marston, S.K.Johnson, M.L.Day, T.W.Geary, D.J.Kesler, J.M.DeJarnette, F.N.Schrick and J.D.Areseneau, 2004. Oestrus synchronization of suckled beef cows using GnRH, PGF2αand progesterone (CIDR): A multi-location study. MN Beef cow/calf Day Report, pp:32-36.
- McDougall, S. 2010. Effects of treatment of anestrous dairy cows with gonadotropin-releasing hormone, prostaglandin and progesterone. J.Dairy Sci., 93: 1944-1959.
- Mee, M.O., J.S.Stevenson, R.K.Scoby and Y.Foman, 1990. Influence of GnRH and timing of insemination in relation to oestrus and pregnancy rates of dairy cattle at first service. J. Dairy Sci., 75: 1500-1507.
- Moreira, F., R.L.de la Sota, T.Diaz and W.W.Thatcher, 2000.Effect of day of the estrous cycle at the initiation of a timed artificial insemination protocol on reproductive responses in dairy heifers. J. Anim. Sci., 78: 1568-1576.
- Muneer, S., K.S.Rao and K.G.S.Raju, 2009. Efficacy of GnRH-PGF2α-GnRH and PMSG+hCG in postpartum anoestrus crossbred cows. Indian J. Anim. Reprod., 30: 7-9.
- Pacala, N., N.Corin, L.Bencsik, D.Dronca, A.Cean, A.Boleman, V.Caraba and S.Papp, 2010. Stimulation of the reproductive functions at acyclic cows by Ovsynch and PRID/ eCG. Anim. Sci. Biotech., 43: 23-27.
- Patterson, D.J., J.F.Bader, K.K.Graham, F.N.Kojima, G.A.Perry, M.S.Kerley and M.F.Smith, 2001. Addition of GnRH to a Melegestrol acetate (MGA) - prostaglandin F2α oestrus synchronization protocol in postpartum beef cow. J. Anim. Sci., 78: 250.
- Peters, M.W. and J.R.Pursley, 2002. Fertility of lactating dairy cows treated with ovsynch after presynchronization injections of PGF2a and GnRH. J. Dairy Sci., 85: 2403-2406.
- Punyapornwithaya, V., P.Virakul, P.Suwimonteer and J.Abutr, 2002. A Synchronized ovulation programme that improves reproductive efficiency in dairy cows. Anim. Breed. Abstr., 70: 1008.
- Pursely, J.R., M.O.Mee and M.C.Wiltbank, 1995.Synchronization of ovulation in dairy cows using PGF2α and GnRH. Theriogenology, 44: 915-923.
- Pursely, J.R., R.W.Silcox and M.C.Wiltbank, 1998. Effect of time of artificial insemination on pregnancy rates, Calving rates, pregnancy loss, and gender ratio after Synchronization of ovarian in lactating dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci., 81: 2139-2144.
- Pursley, J.R., M.C.Wiltbank, J.S.Stevensen, J.S.Ottobre, H.A. Garverick and L.L. Anderson, 1997b. Pregnancy rates per artificial insemination for cows and heifers inseminated at synchronized ovulation or synchronized estrus. J. Dairy Sci., 80: 295-300.
- Pursley, J.R., M.R.Kosorok and M.C.Wiltbank, 1997a. Reproductive management of lactating dairy cows using synchronization of ovulation. J. Dairy Sci., 80: 301-306.
- Ramakrishnan, A., A.J.Dhami, M.Naikoo, B.C.Parmar and B.S. Divekar, 2012. Oestrus induction and fertility response in postpartum anestrus cows. Indian J. Anim. Reprod., 33: 37-42.
- Ravikumar, K., 2014. Synchronization of ovulation in postpartum buffaloes during peak and low breeding seasons using Ovsyncy with CIDR protocols. Ph.D., thesis submitted to Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Chennai.
- Sartori, R. and C.M.Barros, 2001. Reproductive cycles in Bos indicus cattle. Anim. Reprod. Sci., 124: 244-250.
- Sathiamoorthy, T. and M.Kathirchelvan, 2010. Efficacy of PGF2α, CIDR and ovsynch treatment on oestrus response and fertility rate in crossbred cows. Indian J. Anim. Reprod., 31: 43-45.
- Stevenson, J.S., K.E.Thompson, W.L.Forbes, G.C.Lamb, D.M.Grieger and L.R.Corah, 2000. Synchronization of oestrus and (or) ovulation in beef cows after combinations of GnRH, norgestomet and PGF2α with or without timed insemination. J. Anim. Sci., 78: 1747-1758.
- Steveson, J.S., Y.Konayashi and K.E.Thompson, 1999. Reproductive performance of dairy cows in various programmed breeding system including Ovsynch and combination GnRH /PGF2α. J. Diary sci., 82: 506-515.
- Tenhagen, B.A., M.Drillich and W.Heuwieser, 2001. Analysis of cow factors influencing conception rates after two timed breeding protocols. Theriogenology, 56: 831-838.
- Thatcher, W.W., K.L.Macmillen, P.J.Hansen and M.Drost, 1998. Concepts of regulation of corpus lutem function by the concepts and ovarian follicles to improve fertility. Theriogenology, 31: 149-164.
- Thatcher, W.W., T.R.Bilby, J.A.Bartolome, F.Silvestre, C.R.Staples and J.E.P.Santos, 2006. Strategies for improving fertility in the modern dairy cow. Theriogenology, 65: 30-44.
- Thompson, K.E., J.S.Stevenson, G.C.Lamb, D.M.Grieger and C.A.Loest, 1999. Follicular, hormonal and pregnancy responses of early postpartum suckled beef cows to GnRH, norgestomet and prostaglandin F2a. J. Anim. Sci., 77: 1823-1832.
- Twagiramungu, H., G.L.Roy, G.Laverdiere and J.J.Dufour, 1995. Fixed time insemination in cattle after synchronization of oestrus and ovulation with GnRH and prostaglandin. Theriogenology, 43: 341(Abstr.).
- Vasconcelos, J.L., R.W.Silcox, G.J.Rosa, J.R.Pursley and M.C.Wiltbank, 1999. Synchronization rate, size of the ovulatory follicle, and pregnancy rate after synchronization of ovulation beginning on different days of the estrous cycle in lactating dairy cows. Theriogenology, 52: 1067-1078.
- Vasconcelos, J.L.M., R.W.Silcox, G.J.M.Rosa, J.R.Pursley and M.C. Wiltbank, 1997. Synchronization rate, size of the ovulatory follicle and conception rate after synchronization of ovulation with GnRH on different days of the estrous cycle. J. Dairy Sci., 80: 178 (Abstr.).
- Velladurai, C., R.E.Napolean, M.Selvaraju and K.A.Doraisamy, 2015. Pattern of Induced Oestrus and Conception Rate Following Ovsynch Programme in Retained Fetal Membranes Affected and Normally Calved Cows. Indian Vet. J., 92: 84-86
- Vijayarajan, A., C.Chandrahasan and R.E.Napoleon, 2009. Synchronization of ovulation in repeat breeding crossbred cows, Indian J. Field Vet., 51: 57-58.
- Weigel, K.A., 2006. Prospects for improving reproductive performance through genetic selection. Anim. Reprod. Sci., 96: 323-330.
- Wolfenson, D., W.W.Thatcher, J.D.Savio, L.Bandinga and M.C.Lucy, 1994. The effect of a GnRH analogue on the dynamics of follicular development and synchronization of estrus in lactating dairy cows. Theriogenology, 42: 633-644.
- Yildiz, A., 2005. Effect of oxytocin on conception rate in cows. F.U. SaglikBil. Derg., 19: 75-78.
- Yildiz, A., 2010. Effect of administering Ovsynch protocol plus post breeding infusion on first service pregnancy outcomes in cows. J. Anim. Vet. Advan., 9: 1345-1350.
Published in : Volume 1 | Issue 4 | September-October 2015
Date of Publication : 2015-10-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 185-191
Manuscript Number : IJSRST151438
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
C. Velladurai, R. Ezakial Napolean, M.Selvaraju, "Synchronization of Ovulation in Bovines - A Review", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 1, Issue 4, pp.185-191, September-October-2015
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST151438