Home > Archives > IJSRST151439
Challenges Facing Secondary School Managers in Strategic Planning in Kenya
Authors(3) :-Ms Annette Wanyonyi, Judah M. Ndiku, John O. Shiundu
It is a statutory requirement that public organizations in Kenya, schools included develop strategic plans. This will aid Kenya adjust to the dynamic and competitive world and realize vision 2030. However, it was established that many schools had strategic plans but their operationalization was an issue. The purpose of this study was to investigate the challenges faced by secondary school managers in strategic planning in KakamegaCounty, Kenya. The study adopted a descriptive survey design. Data were collected from a sample of 38 schools. Stratified and purposive sampling techniques were used to select schools and respondents respectively. Total study sample was 190 respondents comprising of principals, teachers and students. Questionnaires were used to collect data. Piloting of the instruments was done to ensure their validity and reliability. Data were analyzed using descriptive statistics. The findings were presented in a histogram and table. Inadequate funds emerged as the main challenge. It was recommended that apart from government funds, schools device other ways of funding strategic management processes.
Ms Annette Wanyonyi, Judah M. Ndiku, John O. Shiundu
Strategic Plan, Strategy, Strategy Formulation, Implementation, Monitoring and Evaluation
- Ayot, H.O. & Briggs, H. (1992).Economics of Education. Nairobi. Educational Research and Publication Chiuri, L.W. &Kiumi J. K. (2005).Planning and Economics of Education. Egerton: Pangolin publishers.
- Cozby, P. C. (1997).Methods in behavioural Research. (7th Edition) NewYork : McGraw- Hill.
- Government of Kenya, (2003).Education Sector Strategic Plan (2003-2007). Nairobi: Government Printers.
- Government of Kenya, (2005a).Kenya Education Sector Support Programme (KESSP).Nairobi: Government Printers.
- Government of Kenya, (2005b).Sessional paper No. 1 2005 on policy Framework for Education , Training and Research. Nairobi: Government Printers.
- Government of Kenya, (2007).Kenya Vision 2030: Globally competitive and prosperous Kenya. Nairobi: Government Printers.
- Government of Kenya, (2008).Yardstick; Soaring to Greater Heights. Nairobi: Government Printers.
- Ivancevich, J. Lorenzi, P. Skinner, S. &Coresby, P .B. (1997).Management: Quality and competitive. (2nd Edition).New York: McGraw-Hill publishers
- Kalia, D. (2008). Business Journal Africa. Nairobi: Flagship Ventures Limited.
- Kamotho, K. (2007). Education Policies. Nairobi: Oakland Media Services.
- Kombo, D. K. & Tromp, D .L .A. (2006). Proposal and Thesis Writing. Nairobi: Pauline’s Publications Africa.
- Marchington& Wilkinson.(2003). People Management and Development. (2nd Edition).London: Chatered Institute of Personnel and Development Publishers.
- Mugenda, M. O. & Mugenda, G. A. (1998). Research methods: Quantitative and Qualitative Approaches. Nairobi: Acts Press.
- Njino, J. (2008). Resource Management for Sustainable Development in Church. Eldoret: AMECEA Gaba Publishers.
- Nzuve, N. M. S. (1999). Elements of Organizational Behaviour. Nairobi: University Press.
- Okurut, H. E. (2001). Economics of education: Foundation of Education. Kampala: Makerereuniversity Publishers.
- Pearce, J. A. & Robinson, R. B. (2007).Strategic Management (10th Edition). New York: McGraw -Hill Companies.
- Pitts, A. R. & Lei, D. (2003).Strategic Management: Building and Sustaining Competitiveadvantage. Singapore: Thomson Asia Ltd.
- Sagimo, P. (2002). Management Dynamics: Towards Efficiency, Effectiveness, and Competence & Productivity. Nairobi: East Africa Education Publishers.
- Thompson, Gamble, Strickland, (2004). Strategy: Core Concepts, Analytical Tools. New York: McGraw- publishers.
- Were, E. (2007). All about Preparation and Implementation of a School/College Strategic Plan.Nairobi: Shrend Publishers.
Published in : Volume 1 | Issue 5 | November-December 2015
Date of Publication : 2015-12-25
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 124-131
Manuscript Number : IJSRST151439
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Ms Annette Wanyonyi, Judah M. Ndiku, John O. Shiundu, "Challenges Facing Secondary School Managers in Strategic Planning in Kenya", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 1, Issue 5, pp.124-131, November-December-2015.
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST151439