Home > Archives > IJSRST151441
Observations on the Woody Wall Flora of Varanasi City, India
Authors(1) :-Arvind Singh
An observational study was conducted to explore the woody wall flora of the worlds oldest city of Varanasi, India located at the bank of sacred Ganges River. Forty one woody plants of 35 genera belonging to 18 families were recorded on the walls of the city represented exclusively by the dicotyledonous angiospermic group of plants. Fabaceae, Moraceae and Apocynaceae were the dominant families of the woody wall flora of Varanasi city. Native woody species were greater in number compared to exotic woody species on the walls of Varanasi city.
Varanasi City, Vertical Wall Surface, Woody Wall Flora
- Woodell, S. 1979. The flora of the walls and pavings. In: Laurie, I. C. (Ed.) Nature in Cities: The Natural Environment in the Design and Development of Urban Green Space. John Wiley & Sons Ltd., New York, pp. 135-157.
- Duchoslav, M. 2002. Flora and vegetation of stony walls in East Bohemia (Czech Republic). Preslia 74: 1-25.
- Lisci, M. and Pacini, E. 1993a. Plants growing on the walls of Italian towns 1. Sites and distribution. Phyton 33: 15-26.
- Lisci, M. and Pacini, E. 1993b. Plants growing on the walls of Italian towns 2. Reproductive ecology. Giornale Botanico Italiano 127: 1053-1078.
- Darlington, A. 1981. Ecology of Walls. Heinmann Educational Books. Ltd., London, U. K.
- Francis, R. A. 2011. Wall Ecology: A frontier for urban biodiversity and ecological engineering. Progress in Physical Geography 35 (1): 43-63.
- Nedelcheva, A. 2011. Observations on the wall flora of Kyustendil (Bulgaria). Eurasian Journal of Biosciences 5: 80-90.
- Rishbeth, J. 1948. The flora of Cambridge walls. Journal of Ecology 36: 136-148.
- Varshney, C. K. 1971. Observations on the Varanasi wall flora. Vegetatio 22(6): 355-372.
- Payne, R. M. 1978. The flora of walls in Southeastern Essex. Watsonia 12: 41-46.
- Pavlova, D. and Tonkov, S. 2005. The wall flora of the Nebet Tepe Architectural Reserve in the city of Plovdiv (Bulgaria). Acta Botanica Croatica 64(2): 357-368.
- Dos Reis, V. A. Lombardi, J. A. and De Figueiredo, R. A. 2006. Diversity of vascular plants growing on walls of a Brazilian city. Urban Ecosystems 9: 39-43.
- Singh, A. 2011. Observations on vascular wall flora of Banaras Hindu University Campus, India. Bulletin of Environment Pharmacology and Life Sciences 1(1): 33-39.
- Singh, A. 2014. Observations on the vascular wall flora of Varanasi city, India. International Journal of Modern Biology and Medicine 5(2):40-55.
- Raju, K. N. P. 2011. Varanasi from ancient to modern times and places of Interest. Technology, Energy and Sustainable Rural Environment, UGC, SAP, DRS-I, Department of Geography, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India, pp. 14-17.
- Hooker, J. D. 1875-1897. Flora of British India. 7 Vols. L. Reeves and Co., London, U. K.
- Duthie, J. F. 1903-1922. Flora of the Upper Gangetic Plain and of the Adjacent Siwalik and Sub-Himalayan Tracts. 3 Vols., Government of India, Central Publication Branch, Calcutta, India.
- Brandes D. 1995. Flora of old town centres in Europe. In: Skupp, H. Numata, M. Huber, A. (Eds). Urban Ecology as the Basis of Urban Planning. SPB Academics Publishing, Amsterdam pp. 49-58.
- Lisci, M. 1997. Flora vasculare dei muri in aree urbane della Toscana centro-meridionale. Webbia 52: 43-66.
- Krigas, N. Lagiou, E. Hanlidou, E. Kokkini, S. 1999. The vascular flora of the Byzantine walls of Thessaloniki (N Greece). Willdenowia 29: 77-94.
- Simonov??, D. 2005. Alien species on walls in southern and western Moravia. In: Tokarska-Guzik, B. Brock, J. H. Brundu, G. Child, L. Daehler, C. C. Py??ek, P. (Eds). Plant Invasions: Human Perception, Ecological Impacts and Management. Backhuys Publishers, Leiden, pp. 317-332.
Published in : Volume 1 | Issue 4 | September-October 2015
Date of Publication : 2015-10-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 192-196
Manuscript Number : IJSRST151441
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Arvind Singh , "Observations on the Woody Wall Flora of Varanasi City, India", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 1, Issue 4, pp.192-196, September-October-2015.
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST151441