Home > Archives > IJSRST151517
Isopropanol Fractionation of Coconut Oil into its Olein and Stearin Fractions
Authors(4) :-Sanjukta Kar, Rajib Ghosh, D. K. Bhattacharyya,Minakshi Ghosh
The present study deals with the fractionation of coconut oil by using isopropanol as solvent and characterization of the olein and stearin fractions obtained in terms of melting properties, iodine value, saponification value and fatty acid composition. Coconut oil was fractionated with isopropanol (1:3, 1:4 and 1:5 wt/vol) at three temperatures (20°,15° and 10°C). The yields of oleins and stearins were dependent on the volume of solvent and the temperature of fractionation. Thus, 54 to 25% of oleins and 43 to 71% of stearins could be obtained when crystallized from 15°C to 10°C with the varying volume ratio of solvent (1:5 to 1:3 wt/vol.). The olein fractions displayed a distinct variation in the fatty acid compositions. Both Caprylic acid and Capric acid content increased in olein fractions from original coconut oil whereas decreased in corresponding stearin fractions. From the results, it appears that isopropanol is a good solvent to yield relatively higher amounts of medium chain triglycerides (MCT) which may be important from health and economical point of view. Coconut oil can be fractionated from isopropanol at relatively high temperatures in much less time to produce olein and stearin fractions of specific composition and properties.
Sanjukta Kar, Rajib Ghosh, D. K. Bhattacharyya,Minakshi Ghosh
Fractionation, Isopropanol, Coconut Olein, Coconut Stearin, Medium Chain Triglyceride
- Babayan VK (1981) Medium-Chain Length Fatty Acid Esters and Their Medical and Nutritional Applications. J. Am. Oil Chem Soc 58:49A–51A.
- Norris FA. Chap; Extraction of Fats and Oils, Bailey’s Industrial Oil and Fat Products by Daniel Swern, (1982), Vol 2,4th ed. Wiley-Interscience Publication, New York, 238-239.
- Pal PK, Bhattacharyya DK, Ghosh S (2000) Isopropanol fractionation of butter oil and characteristics of fractions. J Am Oil Chem Soc 77:1215-1218.
- Gibon V et al; Chap;Fractionation of lipids for use in food, Modifying lipids for use in food by Gunstone FD.,( 2006), Woodhead publishing limited, England, , 203-205).
- Sea News Circular, The Solvent Extractor’s Association of India, Feb 2015, Issue11 vol.xvii,37.
- Gopala Krishna AG, Gaurav R, Bhatnagar AS, Kumar P, Chandrashekhar P (2010) Coconut oil: Chemistry, production and its applications-A review. Indian Coconut Journal 15-27
- Hoahland R, Snider GG (1943) Digestability of certain higher saturated fatty acids and triglycerides. J. Nutri 26(3): 219-225.
- Johnson RC, Cotter R (1986) Metabolism of medium chain triglyceride lipid emulsions. Nutr Int 2:150-158.
- Yamashita, M., and Y. Kadona (1982) Digestion, Absorption, and Metabolism of Medium-Chain Triglycerides, New Food Industry 24:28–33.
- Julius U, and Leonhardt W (1988) Elimination and Metabolism of a Fat Emulsion Containing Medium-Chain Triglycerides (Lipo-fundin MCT 10%), J. Parenteral and Enternal Nutrition 12:116–120.
- Batch AC, Babayan VK (1982) Medium-chain triglycerides: an update. Am J Clin Nutr 36:950–961.
- Ghosh S, Bhattacharyya DK (1997) Medium-chain fatty acid-rich glycerides by chemical and lipase-catalyzed polyester–monoester interchange re-action. J Am Oil Chem Soc 74:593–595.
- ASSOCIATION OF OFFICIAL AGRICULTURAL CHEMISTS - AOAC (2005) Official Methods of Analysis of AOAC International, 18th Ed, Maryland: AOAC International.
- Brockerhoff H (1965) Stereospecific analysis of triglycerides: an analysis of human depot fat.Arch Biochem Biophys Jun;110(3):586-592.
Published in : Volume 1 | Issue 5 | November-December 2015
Date of Publication : 2015-12-25
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 83-88
Manuscript Number : IJSRST151517
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Sanjukta Kar, Rajib Ghosh, D. K. Bhattacharyya,Minakshi Ghosh, "Isopropanol Fractionation of Coconut Oil into its Olein and Stearin Fractions", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 1, Issue 5, pp.83-88, November-December-2015
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST151517