Home > Archives > IJSRST151544
Development of Guava Probiotic Dairy Beverages : Application of Mathematical Modelling between Consumer Acceptance Degree and Whey Ratio
Authors(2) :-Hamad M. N. F., M. K. El-Nemr
Twenty One guava probiotic dairy beverages (Lactobacillus aciophilus LA-5 "2% vol/vol" "T1", Bifidobacterium bavidium "2% vol/vol" "T2" and Lactobacillus aciophilus LA-5 "1% vol/vol" and this ratio in Bifidobacterium bavidium "T3") were produced using 0, 20, 35, 50, 65, 80 and 100% (vol/vol) (unsalted whey) which is a product of Ras cheese manufacturing in their formulations and the same percentage interchangeably with cow's milk. The adding of whey had effected on pH values in T1 treatments. The highest pH values (5.039 to 5.173) recorded in the T2 treatments, while less values (4.083 to 4.246) recorded in T1 treatments, but in "T3 treatments" were a medium values (4.313-4.627±0.012). The effect of adding whey on counts of B. bavidium in "T2" treatments and L. aciophilus in "T2 and "T3" treatments were highly significant (p?0.001), while, non-significant effect (p=0.609) of adding whey was showed on B. bavidium ("T3" treatments). In T1, T2 and T3 treatments, the higher values of consumer acceptance degree were 7.267, 7.567 and 7.767 out (9), respectively at 35% whey, while lower values 5 was showed at 0% and 80% whey in T1 treatments, and (3.233 and 3.867) at 100% whey in T2 treatments" and T3 treatments. Mathematical Modelling was created to describe the relationship between consumer acceptance degree (C) and the whey ratio (W) at each type of the previously mentioned starters. Sinusoidal modelling was resulted with a standard error ranging between (0.38 or 0.40). This study is utilized to improve the product, the production of quality products, different consumer degrees and use of dairy wastes "whey", giving an economic value.
Hamad M. N. F., M. K. El-Nemr
Guava, Mathematical Modelling, Probiotic, Consumer Acceptance Degree
- Cheng, J.T. and Yang, R.S. 1983. Hypoglycemic effect of guava juice in mice and human subjects. American Journal of Chinese Medicine (11), 74-76. Print ISSN: 0192-415X, Online ISSN: 1793-6853, http://dx.doi.org/10.1142/S0192415X83000124
- Smith, R.M. and Siwatibau, S. 1975. Sesquiterpene hydrocarbons of Fijian guavas, Phytochemistry, 14 (9), September 1975, 2013-2015, ISSN 0031-9422, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0031-9422(75)83115-3
- Macleod, A.J. and Troconis, N.G. 1975. Volatile flavour components of guava, Phytochemistry, (21), 1339-42. ISSN 0031-9422, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0031-9422(82)80138-6
- Geidam, Y.A., Ambali, A.G. and Onyeyili, P.A. 2007. Phytochemical screening and antibacterial properties of organic solvent fractions of Psidium guajava aqueous leaf extracts, International Journal of Pharmacology, 3 (1), 68-73. ISSN: 2454-2172
- Bassols, F. and Demole, E.P. 1994. The occurrence of pentane-2-thiol in guava fruit. Journal of Essential Oil Research, 6(5), 481-483. ISSN: 1041-2905 http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10412905.1994.9698430
- Thaipong, K., Boonprakob, U., Crosby, K., Cisneros-Zevallos, L. and Byrne, D.H. 2006. Comparison of ABTS, DPPH, FRAP, and ORAC assays for estimating antioxidant activity from guava fruit extracts. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, 19 (6–7), 669–675. ISSN: 0889-5175 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2006.01.003
- Imungi, J.K., Schefield, H. and Saint-Hilslare, U. 1994. Physical-chemical changes during extraction and clarification of guava juice. Chemistry and Technology, (7), 33-41.
- Anil Kumar Chauhan, Smita Singh, Ravi Pratap Singh and Singh, S.P. 2015. Guava-enriched dairy products: a review. Indian J. Dairy Sci. 68(1), 1-5. ISSN: 2454-2172
- Singh, W., Kapoor, C.M. and Srivastava, D.N. 1999. Technology for the manufacture of guava- whey beverage. International Journal of Dairy Science, (52), 268-270. eISSN: 1811-9751, pISSN: 1811-9743.
- Divya, Kumari, A. 2009. Effect of Different Temperatures, Timings and Storage Periods on the Physico-Chemical and Nutritional Characteristics of Whey-Guava Beverage. World Journal of Dairy and Food Sciences, 4(2), 118-122. ISSN: 1817-308X, EISSN: 2078-4627.
- FAO/WHO, 2001. Health and nutritional properties of probiotics in food including powder milk with live lactic acid bacteria. Report of a Joint FAO/WHO Expert Consultation, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Gibson G.R. and Roberfroid M.B. 1995. Dietary modulation of the human colonic microbiota: Introducing the concept of prebiotics. Journal of Nutrition, (125), 1401–1412. Print ISSN: 0022-3166, Online ISSN: 1541-6100
- International Scientific Association for Probiotics and Prebiotics (ISAPP) 2009. Prebiotics: A consumer guide for making smart choices. http://www.isapp.net/docs/Consumer_Guidelines-prebiotic.pdf.
- Collins, M.D. and Gibson, G.R. 1999. Probiotics, prebiotics, and synbiotics: approaches for modulating the microbial ecology of the gut. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. (69), 1052S–1057S. Print ISSN: 0002-9165, Online ISSN: 1938-3207
- Boumba, V.A., Voutsinas, L.P. and Philippopoules, C.D. 2001. Composition and nutritional value of commercial dried whey products from Feta cheese manufacture. International Journal of Dairy Technology, 54(4), 141-145. ISSN: 1364-727X http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1364-727x.2001.00026.x
- AOAC 2012. Association of official analytical chemists, Official methods of analysis, 19th (Ed), Vol (2), Arlington VA.USA
- Richardson G.H. 1985. Standard Methods of the Examination of Dairy Products.15th Ed. American Public Health Assocition. Washington, DC
- Ranganna, S. 1986. Hand book of analysis and quality control for fruits and vegetables products. Tata Mc Graw Hill Publishing Co Ltd, New Delhi, India.
- APHA, American Public Health Association, 1998. Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 20th Ed., Inc. New York.
- Mortazavian, A.M., Ehsani, M.R., Mousavi, S.M., Sohrabvandi, S., Reinheimer, J.A. (2006) Combined effects of temperature-related variables on the viability of probiotic micro-organisms in yogurt. Aust. J. Dairy Technol., 61:248–252. ISSN: 0004-9433
- SAS 2004. Version 90 SAS Institute Inc Cary NC.
- Duncan, D.B. 1955. Multiple Range and Multiple F-test. Biometrics, (11), 1– 42.
- Hough, G., M. L. Calle, C. Serrat, and A. Curia. 2007. Number of consumers necessary for shelf life estimations based on survival analysis statistics. Food Qual. Prefer. 18:771–775. ISSN: 0950-3293 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodqual.2007.01.003
- MacFie, H.J., Bratchell, N., Greenhoff, K. and Vallus, L.V. 1989. Designs to balance the effect of order of presentation and first-order carry-over effects in hall tests. J. Sens. Stud., 4:129–148. ISSN: 0887-8250 http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-459X.1989.tb00463.x
- Drake, M.A. 2007. Invited Review: Sensory Analysis of Dairy Foods. J. Dairy Sci., 90:(11), 4925–4937. ISSN: 0022-0302 http://dx.doi.org/10.3168/jds.2007-0332
- Granato, D., Branco, G.F., Cruz, A.G., Faria, J.A.F. and Shah, N.P. 2010. Probiotic dairy products as functional foods. Comp. Rev. Food Sci. Saf., 9:455–470. ISSN: 1541-4337 http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1541-4337.2010.00120.x
- Almeida, R.A., Luther, D.A., Park, H.M. and Oliver, S.P. 2006. Identification, isolation, and partial characterization of a novel Streptococcus uberis adhesion molecule (SUAM). Vet. Microbiol., 115:183–191. ISSN: 0378-1135 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.vetmic.2006.02.005
- Madureira, A.R., Tavares, T., Gomes, A.M.P., Pintado, M.E. and Malcata, F.X. 2010. Invited review: Physiological properties of bioactive peptides obtained from whey proteins. J. Dairy Sci., 93:437–455. ISSN: 0022-0302 http://dx.doi.org/10.3168/jds.2009-2566
- Madureira, A.R., Pereira, C.I., Gomes, A.M.P., Pintado, M.E. and Malcata, F.X. 2007. Bovine whey proteins—Overview on their main biological properties. Food Res. Int., 40:1197–1211. ISSN: 0963-9969.
- Madureira, A.R., Amorim, M., Gomes, A.M., Pintado, M.E. and Malcata, F.X. 2011. Protective effect of whey cheese matrix on probiotic strains exposed to simulated gastrointestinal conditions. Food Res. Int., 44:465–470. ISSN: 0963-9969. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2010.09.010
- Cruz, A.G., Cadena, R.S., Faria, J.A.F., Bolini, H.M.A., Dantas, C., Ferreira, M.C.C. and Deliza, R. 2012. PARAFAC: Adjustment for modeling consumer study covering probiotic and conventional yogurt. Food Res. Int., 45:211–215. ISSN: 0963-9969. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2011.09.031
- Gomes, A.A., Braga, S.P., Cruz, A.G., Cadena, R.S., Lollo, P.C.B., Carvalho, C., Amaya-Farfan, J., Faria, J.A. and Bolini, H.M. 2011. Effect of the inoculation level of Lactobacillus acidophilus in probiotic cheese on the physicochemical features and sensory performance compared with commercial cheeses. J. Dairy Sci., 94:4777–4786. ISSN: 0022-0302 http://dx.doi.org/10.3168/jds.2011-4175
- Escobar, M.C., Van Tasseli, M.L., Martínez-Bustos, F., Castaño-Tostado, E., Amaya-Llano, S.L. and Miller, M.J. 2012. Characterization of a Panela cheese with added probiotics and fava bean starch. J. Dairy Sci., 95:2779–2787. ISSN: 0022-0302 http://dx.doi.org/10.3168/jds.2011-4655
- Di Criscio, T., Fratianni, A., Mignogna, R., Cinquanta, L., Coppola, R., Sorrentino, E. and Panfili, G. 2010. Production of functional probiotic, prebiotic, and synbiotic ice creams. J. Dairy Sci., 93:4555–4564. ISSN: 0022-0302 http://dx.doi.org/10.3168/jds.2010-3355
- Ferraz, J.L., Cruz, A.G., Cadena, R.S., Freitas, M.Q., Pinto, U.M., Carvalho, C.C., Faria, J.A.F. and Bolini, H.M.A. 2012. Sensory acceptance and survival of probiotic bacteria in ice cream produced with different overrun levels. J. Food Sci., 77:S24–S28. Online ISSN: 1750-3841 http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1750-3841.2011.02508.x
- Castro, W.F., Cruz, A.G., Bisinotto, M.S., Guerreiro, L.M.R., Faria, J.A.F., Bolini, H.M.A., Cunha, R.L. and Deliza, R. 2013. Development of probiotic dairy beverages: Rheological properties and application of mathematical models in sensory evaluation. J. Dairy Sci., (96), 16–25. ISSN: 0022-0302 http://dx.doi.org/10.3168/jds.2012-5590
- Beecher J. W., M. A. Drake, P. J. Luck, and E. A. Foegeding 2008. Factors Regulating Astringency of Whey Protein Beverages. J. Dairy Sci. 91:2553–2560. ISSN: 0022-0302 http://dx.doi.org/10.3168/jds.2008-1083
- Vardhanabhuti B., M.A. Kelly, P.J. Luck, M.A. Drake and E.A. Foegeding (2010). Roles of charge interactions on astringency of whey proteins at low pH. J. Dairy Sci., 93:(5), 1890–1899. ISSN: 0022-0302. http://dx.doi.org/10.3168/jds.2009-2780
- Cruz A.G., J.A.F. Faria, E.H.M. Walter, R.R. Andrade and R.N. Cavalcanti, C.A.F. Oliveira, D. Granato (2010). Processing optimization of probiotic yogurt containing glucose oxidase using response surface methodology, J. Dairy Sci., 93(11), 5059–5068. ISSN: 0022-0302 http://dx.doi.org/10.3168/jds.2010-3336
- Payton, M.E., Greenstone, M.H. & Schenker, N. (2003). Overlapping confidence intervals or standard error intervals: what do they mean in terms of statistical significance? Journal of Insect Science, (3) 34, 1-6. ISSN: 0970-3837 http://dx.doi.org/10.1673/031.003.3401
- Strang, G. (1986). Introduction to applied mathematics. Wellesley-Cambridge Press, Wellesley, Mass.
Published in : Volume 1 | Issue 5 | November-December 2015
Date of Publication : 2015-12-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 186-193
Manuscript Number : IJSRST151544
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Hamad M. N. F., M. K. El-Nemr, "Development of Guava Probiotic Dairy Beverages : Application of Mathematical Modelling between Consumer Acceptance Degree and Whey Ratio", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 1, Issue 5, pp.186-193, November-December-2015.
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST151544