Home > Archives > IJSRST151545
A Review of on the Spikelet Number in Rice
Authors(7) :-Ali Sattari, ZA-Jahantigh Haghighi, HO-Nohtani, MO-Noorozi, Ab-Nokhbeh Zaeim, K-Moradi, Na-Mirzaie Amirabad
Grain yield of rice (Oryza sativa L.) has four components: panicle number, total spikelet number per panicle (TSN), grain weight and spikelet fertility. There is wide variation in TSN among cultivated rice varieties and it is one of the targets of breeding programs to improve rice yield. Many hypotheses have been proposed to explain ecophysiological process that determines spikelet number per unit area. Nitrogen is one of the most yield-limiting nutrients in crop production, and its proper management is essential for improving grain yield. Grain number is linearly correlated with total plant N content. Nitrogen fertilizer might affect CKs levels to increase rice flower numbers. To identify the loci controlling panicle architecture, QTLs for panicle traits such as number of primary or secondary branches and spikelet number per primary or secondary branch have been mapped and studied. QTLs for TSN have been identified using various segregating populations, including F2 populations, recombinant inbred lines (RILs), and doubled haploid (DH) lines.
Ali Sattari, ZA-Jahantigh Haghighi, HO-Nohtani, MO-Noorozi, Ab-Nokhbeh Zaeim, K-Moradi, Na-Mirzaie Amirabad
Oryza sativa L., total spikelet number (TSN), QTLs, recombinant inbred lines (RILs)
- Akter MB, Piao R, Kim B, Lee Y, Koh E, Koh H-J. 2014. Fine mapping and candidate gene analysis of a new mutant gene for panicle apical abortion in rice. Euphytica 197:387–398.
- Ando T, Yamamoto T, Shimizu T, Ma XF, Shomura A, Takeuchi Y, Lin SY, Yano M. 2008. Genetic dissection and pyramiding of quantitative traits for panicle architecture by using chromosomal segment substitution lines in rice. Theor. Appl. Genet. 116: 881–890
- Ashikari M, Sakakibara H, Lin S, Yamamoto T, Takashi T, Nishimura A, Angeles ER, Qian Q, Kitano H, Matsuoka M. 2005. Cytokinin oxidase regulates rice grain production. Science 309, 741–745
- Barazesh S, McSteen P. 2008. Hormonal control of grass inflorescence development. Trends Plant Sci 13:656–662
- Brondani C, Rangel PHN, Brondani RPV, Ferreira ME. 2002. QTL mapping and introgression of yield-related traits from Oryza glumaepatula to cultivated rice (Oryza sativa) using microsatellite markers. Theor. Appl. Genet. 104: 1192–1203
- Chengqiang D, Juan Y, Lin C,Shaohua W,Yanfeng D. 2014. Nitrogen fertilizer increases spikelet number per panicle by enhancing cytokinin synthesis in rice. Plant Cell Rep.33:363–371
- Feng J, Matsuzaki M, Suzuki Het al., 2011. Fermentation quality, digestibility and unhulled rice excretion of forage paddy rice silage prepared by different harvester types.Grassl Sci57:23–27.
- Guiderdoni E, Galinato E, Luistro J, Vergara G. 1992. Anther culture of tropical japonica × indica hybrids of rice (Oryza sativa L.). Euphytica 62: 219–224
- Hasegawa T, Koroda Y, Seligman NG, Horie T. 1994. Response of spikelet number to plant nitrogen concentration and dry weight in paddy rice. Agron. J. 86, 673–676.
- Hittalmani S, Huang N, Courtois B, Venuprasad R, Shashidhar HE, Zhuang JY, Zheng KL, Liu GF, Wang GC, Sidhu JS. 2003. Identification of QTL for growth- and grain yield-related traits in rice across nine locations of Asia. Theor. Appl. Genet. 107: 679–690
- Horie T, Ohnishi M, Angus JF, Lewin LG, Tsukaguchi T, Matano T. 1997. Physiological characteristics of high-yielding rice inferred from cross-location experiments. Field Crops Res. 52, 55–67.
- Kato T, Shirota K, Shinde S, Bansho H. 2009. Effect of hullsplitting in rice on the digestibility of grain in whole crop silage. In:Bulletin 24, Faculty of Biology-Oriented Science and Technology, Kinki University, Higashiosaka, Osaka, Japan, 1–5.
- Kei M, Shuichi I, Osamu I, Takuro I,Hiroshi F,Hajime W,Yoshihiko T. 2013. Effect of low planting density on the spikelet number in ‘Tachisuzuka’, a rice (Oryza sativaL.) cultivar with a short panicle for whole crop silage use. Japanese Society of Grassland Science.
- Khush GS. 1987. Rice breeding: past, present and future. J. Genet. 66: 195–216
- Khush GS. 1995. Breaking the yield frontier of rice. GeoJournal 35: 329–332
- Kobayashi K, Horie T. 1994. The effect of plant nitrogen condition during reproductive stage on the differentiation of spikelets and rachisbranches in rice. Jpn. J. Crop Sci. 63 (2), 193–199 (in Japanese, with English Abstract).
- Kobayashi S, Fukuta Y, Yagi T, Sato T, Osaki M, Khush GS. 2004. Identification and characterization of quantitative trait loci affecting spikelet number per panicle in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Field Crops Res.89: 253–262.
- Koga T, Okubo Y, Kubota K, Karasawa T, Kishimoto T, Tanaka A. 2003. Digestibility of paddy or ears of a rice plant fed to dry or lactating cows. In: Bulletin 30, Nagano Animal Industry Experiment Station, Shiojiri, Nagano, Japan, 1–5. (In Japanese.).
- Kouno S. 2011. Feeding value and supply for lactating cattle of the high sugar content forage rice ‘Tachisuzuka’. In: The Meeting on Research and Spreading of Forage Rice, 2011, National Institute of Livestock and Grassland Science, Nasushiobara, 13–18. (In Japanese.), available from URL: http:// www.naro.affrc.go.jp/nilgs/kenkyukai/files/shiryoine2011_07. Pdf.
- Kropff MJ, Cassman KG, Peng S, Matthews RB, Setter TL. 1994. Quantitative understanding of yield potential. In: Cassman, K.G. (Ed.), Breaking the Yield Barrier. International Rice Research Institute, LosBanos, Philippines, pp. 21–38
- Li C, Zhou A, Sang T. 2006. Genetic analysis of rice domestication syndrome with the wild annual species, Oryza nivara. New Phytol. 170: 185–194
- Li S, Qian Q, Fu Zet al. (2009) Short panicle 1encodes a putative PTR family transporter and determines rice panicle size.Plant J58: 592–605.
- Liu T, Mao D, Zhang S, Xu C, Xing Y. 2009. Fine mapping SPP1, a QTL controlling the number of spikelets per panicle, to a BAC clone in rice (Oryza sativa). Theor. Appl. Genet. 118: 1509–1517
- Makino A. 2011. Photosynthesis, grain yield, and nitrogen utilization in rice and wheat. Plant Physiol 155:125–129.
- Matsushita K, Iida S, Ideta O, Sunohara Y, Maeda H, Tamura Y. 2012. Tachisuzuka, a new rice cultivar with high straw yield,high digestibility and high sugar content for whole-crop silage use. In:Bulletin 11, NARO Western Region Agricultural Research Center, Fukuyama, Hiroshima, Japan, 1–14. (In Japanese with English abstract.).
- Matsushita K, Iida S, Ideta Oet al.(2011) ‘Tachisuzuka’, a new rice cultivar with high straw yield and high sugar content for whole-crop silage use. Breed Sci. 61: 86–92.
- Matsuyama H, Shioya S, Ishida M. 2005. Feed characteristics of rice plant (Oryza sativaL. cv., Hamasari, Yumetoiro,Hokuriku-184) as a whole crop silage.Jpn J Grassl Sci 51:289–295. (In Japanese with English abstract.
- Mei HW, Li ZK, Shu QY, Guo LB, Wang YP, Yu XQ, Ying CS, Luo LJ. 2005. Gene actions of QTLs affecting several agronomic traits resolved in a recombinant inbred rice population and two backcross populations. Theor. Appl. Genet. 110: 649–659
- Miura K, Ikeda M, Matsubara A, Song XJ, Ito M, Asano K, Matsuoka M, Kitano H, Ashikari M. 2010. OsSPL14 promotes panicle branching and higher grain productivity in rice. Nature Genet. 42: 545–549
- Moncada P, Martínez CP, Borrero J, Chatel M, Gauch JH, Guimaraes E, Tohme J, McCouch SR. 2001. Quantitative trait loci for yield and yield components in an Oryza sativa × Oryza rufipogonBC2F2 population evaluated in an upland environment. Theor. Appl. Genet. 102: 41–52
- Murayama N. 1969. Nitrogen nutrient of rice plant. JARQ 3, 1–4.
- Murchie EH, Pinto M, Horton P. 2009. Agriculture and the new challenges for photosynthesis research. New Phytol. 181, 532–552
- Onishi K, Horiuchi Y, Ishigoh-Oka N, Takagi K, Ichikawa N, Maruoka M, Sano Y. 2007. A QTL cluster for plant architecture and its ecological significance in Asian wild rice. Breed. Sci. 57: 7–16.
- Septiningsih EM, Prasetiyono J, Lubis E, Tai TH, Tjubaryat T, Moeljopawiro S, McCouch SR. 2003. Identification of quantitative trait loci for yield and yield components in an advanced backcross population derived from the Oryza sativa variety IR64 and the wild relative O. rufipogon. Theor. Appl. Genet. 107: 1419–1432
- Shinde S, Shirota K, Nagao K. 2008. The influence of the harvesting time of rice whole crop silage for the paddy excretive amount on lactating cow. In:Bulletin 15, Hiroshima Prefectural Technology Research Institute, Livestock Technology Research Center, Shobara, Hiroshima, Japan, 1–8. (In Japanese.).
- Shinoda M, Kushibiki S, Shingu H, Touno E. 2007. Fecal excretion of undigested rice grain in cattle as affected by threshing and size of grain.Jpn J Grassl Sci 52: 227–231. (In Japanese with English abstract.).
- Thomson MJ, Tai TH, McClung AM, Lai XH, Hinga ME, Lobos KB, Xu Y, Martinez CP, McCouch SR. 2003. Mapping quantitative trait loci for yield, yield components and morphological traits in an advanced backcross population between Oryza rufipogon and the Oryza sativa cultivar Jefferson. Theor. Appl. Genet. 107: 479–493
- Tian F, Zhu Z, Zhang B, Tan L, Fu Y, Wang X, Sun CQ. 2006. Fine mapping of a quantitative trait locus for grain number per panicle from wild rice (Oryza rufipogon Griff.). Theor. Appl. Genet. 113: 619–629
- Wada G. 1969. The effect of nitrogenous nutrition on the yield determining process of rice plant. Bull. Nat. Inst. Agric. Sci. A16,27–167.
- Werner T, Motyka V, Laucou V, Smets R, Van Onckelen H, Schmulling T. 2003. Cytokinin-deficient transgenicArabidopsis plants show multiple developmental alterations indicating opposite functions of cytokinins in the regulation of shoot and root meristem activity. Plant Cell 15:2532–2550
- Wu JL, Wu C, Lei C, Baraoidan M, Bordeos A, Madamba MRS, Ramos-Pamplona M, Mauleon R, Portugal A, Ulat VJ. 2005. Chemical- and irradiation-induced mutants of indica rice IR64 for forward and reverse genetics. Plant Mol. Biol. 59: 85–97
- Xiao J, Li J, Grandillo S, Ahn SN, Yuan L, Tanksley SD, McCouch SR. 1998. Identification of trait-improving quantitative trait loci alleles from a wild rice relative, Oryza rufipogon. Genetics 150: 899–909
- Xing YZ, Tan YF, Hua JP, Sun XL, Xu CG, Zhang Q. 2002. Characterization of the main effects, epistatic effects and their environmental interactions of QTLs on the genetic basis of yield traits in rice.Theor. Appl. Genet. 105: 248–257
- Xing YZ, Tang WJ, Xue WY, Xu CG, Zhang Q. 2008. Fine mapping of a major quantitative trait loci,qSSP7, controlling the number of spikelets per panicle as a single Mendelian factor in rice. Theor. Appl. Genet. 116: 789–796
- Xiong LZ, Liu KD, Dai XK, Xu CG, Zhang Q. 1999. Identification of genetic factors controlling domestication-related traits of rice using an F2 population of a cross between Oryza sativa and O. rufipogon. Theor. Appl. Genet. 98: 243–251
- Xue W, Xing Y, Weng X, Zhao Y, Tang W, Wang L, Zhou H, Yu S, Xu C, Li X. 2008. Natural variation in Ghd7 is an important regulator of heading date and yield potential in rice. Nature Genet. 40: 761–767
- Yagi T, Nagata K, Fukuta Y, Tamura K, Ashikawa I, Terao T. 2001. QTL mapping of spikelet number in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Breed. Sci. 51: 53–56
- Yamagishi M, Takeuchi Y, Kono I, Yano M. 2002. QTL analysis for panicle characteristics in temperate japonica rice. Euphytica 128: 219–224
- Yamamoto Y, Mizutani M, Inui K, Urakawa S, Hiraoka H, Goto M. 2005. Feed intake and lactation of dairy cow fed on total mixed ration of whole crop silage.Jpn J Grassl Sci 51: 40–47. (In Japanese with English abstract.
- Yoichi H, Naohiro A, Hidetoshi K, Masaki O,Takeshi E, Tatsuro H, Tohru Y, Ryu O. 2013. A near isogenic line of rice carrying chromosome segments containing OsSPS1 of Kasalath in the genetic background of Koshihikari produces an increased spikelet number per panicle.field Crops Research 149. 56–62
- Zhang Y, Luo L, Liu T, Xu C, Xing Y. 2009. Four rice QTL controlling number of spikelets per panicle expressed the characteristics of single Mendelian gene in near isogenic backgrounds. Theor. Appl. Genet.118: 1035–1044
- Zhang Y, Luo L, Xu C, Zhang Q, Xing Y. 2006. Quantitative trait loci for panicle size, heading date and plant height co-segregating in trait-performance derived near-isogenic lines of rice (Oryza sativa). Theor. Appl. Genet. 113: 361–368
- Zhuang JY, Lin HX, Lu J, Qian HR, Hittalmani S, Huang N, Zheng KL. 1997. Analysis of QTL × environment interaction for yield components and plant height in rice. Theor. Appl. Genet. 95: 799–808
- Zou GH, Mei HW, Liu HY, Liu GL, Hu SP, Yu XQ, Li MS, Wu JH, Luo LJ. 2005. Grain yield responses to moisture regimes in a rice population: association among traits and genetic markers. Theor. Appl. Genet. 112: 106–113.
Published in : Volume 1 | Issue 5 | November-December 2015
Date of Publication : 2015-12-31
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 222-227
Manuscript Number : IJSRST151545
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Ali Sattari, ZA-Jahantigh Haghighi, HO-Nohtani, MO-Noorozi, Ab-Nokhbeh Zaeim, K-Moradi, Na-Mirzaie Amirabad, "A Review of on the Spikelet Number in Rice", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 1, Issue 5, pp.222-227, November-December-2015
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST151545