Home > Archives > IJSRST151547
A Review for Rice Sheath Blight Disease
Authors(5) :-Abdolreza Nokhbeh Zaeim, Na-Mirzaie Amirabad, Ah-Drakhshan, Mo-Noorozi, K-Moradi
Rice is an important food grain and is a staple food for majority of the world’s population. However, biotic stresses such as diseases have impeded rice cultivation both in the tropics and subtropics. Of them, Rice sheath blight (ShB), caused by Rhizoctonia solani, leads to severe yield losses in many rice production areas worldwide. little progress has been made in rice breeding for sheath blight resistance. None of the commercially cultivated rice varieties have sufficient level of field resistance, and the disease is presently being managed by chemical pesticides.Within the strobilurins group, azoxystrobin fungicide is widely used as it works effectively against ShB pathogen infestation. The survival and inoculums potential of the R. solani is directly related with severity and incidence of disease. Wild relatives of cultivated rice are a potential source of novel genes for insect and disease resistance, as well as tolerance to several abiotic stresses and a source of yield and yield enhancing traits.
Abdolreza Nokhbeh Zaeim, Na-Mirzaie Amirabad, Ah-Drakhshan, Mo-Noorozi, K-Moradi
Rice, Rhizoctonia Solani, Sheath Blight, Chemical Pesticides
- Adachi T, Inagaki K. 1988. Phytotoxin producued by Rhizoctonia oryzae Ryker et Gooch. Agricultural and Biological Chemistry, 52, 2625.
- Alghisi P, Favaron F. 1995. Pectin-degrading enzymes and plant-parasite interactions. Eur J Plant Pathol 101:365–375
- Aliferis K A, Jabaji S. 2010a. 1H NMR and GC-MS metabolic fingerprinting of developmental stages of Rhizoctonia solani sclerotia. Metabolomics, 6, 96–108.
- Allison JL. 1951. Rhizoctonia blight of forage legumes and grasses. Pl. Dis. Reptr. 35: 372-373
- Anderson NA (1982) The genetics and pathology ofRhizoctonia solani.Annu Rev Phytopathol 20:329–347
- Anonymous D. 1996. New fungicide for disease control on fruit and nut crops. Zeneca Incorp. Tech, Information Bulletin, Wilmington, DE.
- Bowen GD, Rovira AD. 1999. The rhizosphere and its management to improve plant growth. Advances in Agronomy 66:1-102.
- Brar D, Singh K. 2011. Oryza. In: Kole C (ed) Wild crop relatives: Genomic and breeding resources: Cereals. Dordrecht London, New York: Springer Heidelberg, pp 321–336
- Datta K, Koukolikova-Nicola Z, Baisakh N, Oliva N, Datta SK. 2000. Agrobacterium-mediated engineering for sheath blight resistance of indica rice cultivars from different ecosystems. Theor Appl Genet 100:832–839.
- Datta K, Tu J, Oliva N, Ona I, Velazhahan R, Mew TW,Muthukrishnan S, Datta SK. 2001. Enhanced resistance to sheath blight by constitutive expression of infection-related rice chitinase in transgenic elite indica rice cultivars. Plant Sci 160:405–414.
- Datta K, Velazhahan R, Oliva N, Ona I, Mew T, Khush G,Muthukrishnan S, Datta SK. 1999. Over-expression of the cloned rice thaumatin-like protein (PR-5) gene in transgenic rice plants enhances environmental friendly resistance toRhizoctonia solani causing sheath blight disease. Theor Appl Genet 98:1138–1145.
- De Lorenzo G, D’Ovidio R, Cervone F. 2001. The role of polygalacturonase-inhibiting proteins (PGIPs) in defense against pathogenic fungi. Annu Rev Phytopathol 39:313–335
- Goswami BK, Bhuiyan KA and Mian IH. 2010. Morphological and Pathogenic variations in the isolates of Rhizoctonia solani in Bangladesh. Bangladesh J. Agril. Res. 35:375-380
- Grichar WJ, Jaks AJ, Besler BA. 2004. Response of peanuts (Arachis hypogaea) to weather-based fungicide advisory sprays. Crop Protection 24: 349-354.
- Groth DE, Bond JA. 2006. Initiation of rice sheath blight epidemics and effect of application timing of azoxystrobin on disease incidence, severity, yield, and milling quality. Plant Disease 90: 1073-1076.
- Groth DE. 1996. Two new fungicides to control rice diseases. La. Agric 39: 31-33.
- Groth DE. 2008. Effects of cultivar resistance and single fungicide application on rice sheath blight, yield, and quality. Crop Protection 27: 1125-1130.
- Jach G, Go ¨rnhardt B, Mundy J, Logemann J, Pinsdorf E, Leah R,Schell J, Maas C. 1995. Enhanced quantitative resistance against fungal disease by combinatorial expression of different barley antifungal proteins in transgenic tobacco. Plant J 8:97–109
- John J. Subramanian B. 2015. Role ofOsWRKY transcription factors in rice disease resistance. Trop. plant pathol.40:355–361.
- Kalpana K, Maruthasalam S, Rajesh T, Poovannan K, Kumar KK,Kokiladevi E, Raja JA, Sudhakar D, Velazhahan R, Samiyappan R. 2006. Engineering sheath blight resistance in elite indica rice cultivars using genes encoding defense proteins. Plant Sci 170:203–215.
- Kannaiyan S and Prasad NN. 1980. Dicot weed hosts of Rhizoctonia solani Kuhn. Agri. Res. J. Kerala. 18:125-127
- Kloepper JW, Schroth MN. 1978. Plant growth promoting rhizobacteria on radish.: Proceedings of the Fourth Conference Plant Pathogenic Bacteria. INRA, Angers, France.
- Kozaka T. 1961. Ecological studies on sheath blight of rice of rice caused Pellicularia sasakii (Shirai) and its chemical control. Chugoko agric. Res. 20:1-133
- Kumar KVK, Reddy MS, Kloepper JW, Lawrence KS, Groth DE. 2009. Sheath blight disease of rice (Oryza sativa L.) -An overview. Biosciences, Biotechnology Research Asia 6: 465-480.
- Lalande R, Bissonnette N, Coutlee D, Autoun H. 1989. Identification of rhizobacteria from maize and determination of their plant-growth promoting potential. Plant and Soil 115: 7-11.
- Li D. 2004. Population dynamics and survival of Rhizoctonia solani AG-1 in the field soil under ricewheat rotation. Agricultural sciences of China. 3:448-455
- Lin W, Anuratha C, Datta K, Potrykus I, Muthukrishnan S, Datta SK. 1995. Genetic engineering of rice for resistance to sheath blight.Nat Biotechnol 13:686–691.
- Ma Y, Li Y, Liu JY, Song YC, Tan RX. 2004. AntiHelicobacter pylori metabolites from Rhizoctonia sp. Cy064, an endophytic fungus in Cynodon dactylon. Fitoterapia, 75, 451–456.
- Mandava NB, Orellana RG, Warthen JD, Worley JF, Dutky SR, Finegold H, Weathington BC. 1980. Phytotoxins in Rhizoctonia solani: isolation and biological activity of m-hydroxy and m-methoxyphenylacetic acids. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 28, 71–75.
- Maruthasalam S, Kalpana K, Kumar KK, Loganathan M, Poovannan K, Raja JAJ (2007) Pyramiding transgenic resistance in elite indica rice cultivars against the sheath blight and bacterial blight. Plant Cell Rep 26:791–804.
- Mishra AK, Sharma K, Misra RS. 2012. Elicitor recognition, signal transduction and induced resistance in plants. J Plant Interact 7:95–120
- Pedras M S, Yu Y, Liu J, Tandron-Moya Y A. 2005. Metabolites produced by the phytopathogenic fungus Rhizoctonia solani: isolation, chemical structure determination, syntheses and bioactivity. Zeitschrift für Naturforschung C (Journal of Biosciences), 60, 717–722.
- Rui Wang Liaoxun Lu Xuebiao Pan Zongliang Hu•Fei Ling Yan Yan Yemao Liu Yongjun Lin.2015. Functional analysis of OsPGIP1in rice sheath blight resistance. Plant Mol Biol ,87:181–191
- Savary S, Nelson A, Willocquet L, Pangga I, Aunario J. 2012. Modeling and mapping potential epidemics of rice diseases globally. Crop Prot. 34, 6–17.
- Shakiba E, Eizenga GC. 2014. Unraveling the secrets of rice wild species. In: Yan WG, Bao J (eds.) Rice—germplasm,genetics and improvement, doi:10.5772/58393
- Shanmugam V. 2005. Role of extracytoplasmic leucine rich repeat proteins in plant defence mechanisms. Microbiol Res 160:83–94
- Singh PK and Singh AK. 2008. Effect of temperature and soil texture on the survival ability of rice sheath blight pathogen (Rhizoctonia solani). Flora and Fauna (Jhansi). 14:55-56.
- Singh SB and Saksena HK. 1980. A new sheath and leaf blight of bajra.Indian Phytopath.33:127-129
- Sridevi G, Parameswari C, Sabapathi N, Raghupathy V, Veluthambi K. 2008. Combined expression of chitinase andb-1, 3-glucanase genes in indica rice (Oryza sativaL.) enhances resistance against Rhizoctonia solani. Plant Sci 175:283–290
- Sriram S, Raguchander T, Babu S, Nandakumar R, Shanmugam V, Vidhyasekaran P, Balasubramanian P, Samiyappan R. 2000. Inactivation of phytotoxin produced by the rice sheath blight pathogen Rhizoctonia solani. Canadian Journal of Microbiology, 46, 520–524.
- Su’udi M, Park J-M, Kang W-R, Hwang D-J, Kim S, Ahn I-P. 2013. Quantification of rice sheath blight progression caused by Rhizoctonia solani. J Microbiol 51:380–388
- Taheri P, Gnanamanickam S, Ho¨fte M. 2007. Characterization, genetic structure, and pathogenicity ofRhizoctoniaspp. associated with rice sheath diseases in India. Phytopathology 97:373–383
- Tsai WH. 1974. Assessment of yield losses due to rice sheath blight at different inoculation stages. Journal of Taiwan Agricultural Research. 23: 188-194
- Velazhahan R, Vidhyasekaran P. 2000. Isolation of an elicitor from Rhizoctonia solani, the rice sheath blight pathogen which activates phenylpropanoid metabolism in suspensioncultured rice cells. Zeitschrift fur Pflanzenkrankheiten und Pflanzenschutz, 107, 135–144.
- Vidhyasekaran P, Ponmalar T R, Samiyappan R, Velazhahan R, Vimala R, Ramanthan A, Paranidharan V, Muthukrishnan S. 1997. Host-specific toxin production by Rhizoctonia solani, the rice sheath blight pathogen. Phytopathology, 87, 1258–1263.
- Vorwerk S, Somerville S, Somerville C. 2004. The role of plant cell wall polysaccharide composition in disease resistance. Trends Plant Sci 9:203–209
- Wu W, Huang J, Cui K, Nie L, Wang Q. 2012. Sheath blight reduces stem breaking resistance and increases lodging susceptibility of rice plants. Field Crops Research 128: 101-108
Published in : Volume 1 | Issue 5 | November-December 2015
Date of Publication : 2015-12-31
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 233-237
Manuscript Number : IJSRST151547
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Abdolreza Nokhbeh Zaeim, Na-Mirzaie Amirabad, Ah-Drakhshan, Mo-Noorozi, K-Moradi, "A Review for Rice Sheath Blight Disease", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 1, Issue 5, pp.233-237, November-December-2015.
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST151547