Home > Archives > IJSRST151551
Dogra Raj and Forms of Silent Protest in Kashmir (1846-1932)
Authors(2) :-Aushaq Hussain Dar, Aasif Nengroo
Silent protest is non confrontationist, anonymous and subtle, this is the way the oppressed resist the forces of domination. James Scott in his â€œweapons of weak: Everyday forms of Resistanceâ€ refutes the Marxist concept of false consciousness and Gramcian idea of hegemony where oppressed give consent to dominance. Scott argues that the oppressed resist the forces of dominance but in silent forms which are non-confrontationist. Some of the weapons which peasants use are, foot dragging, dissimulation, desertion, false compliance, pilfering, feigned ignorance, slander, arson and sabotage. These techniques are suited to scattered nature of peasantry and difficulty in organizing any collective political action. Scottâ€™s position is that peasant and worker resistance rarely occur in the form of violence and revolution. His argument hinges on the common sense position that violence erupts when forms of survival becomes impossible. In the light of this theory the present paper analyzes the forms of silent protest by the peasants and workers of Kashmir under the autocratic Dogra Raj.
Aushaq Hussain Dar, Aasif Nengroo
James Scott, Peasant, Resistance, Survival, Kashmir.
- Panikar, K.M. (1930) “The Founding of the Kashmir State: A Biography of Maharaja Ghulab Singh”, London, George Allen and Unwin, p.112.
- wingate, A. (1888) “Preliminary Report of Settlement in Kashmir and Jammu”, Lahore: W, Ball & Co.pp. 18-20
- Lawrence Walter (2000) “The Valley of Kashmir”, Chinar Publishing House Srinagar, p.412.
- Nazir G.N (1992) “Keeshiry Depity”. Srinagar, J&K Cultural Academy, p.112.
- Azad Abdul Ahad (1986) “Kulyat –i-Azad” Srinagar, p. 277.
- Fayaz Farooq (2008) “Kashmir folklore: A Study in Historical Perspective”. Srinagar: Gulshan Books, pp. 230-238
- Ganai M.Y. (2004) “Kashmir’s Struggle for Independence (1931-1939)”, Srinagar, Mohsin Publications.
- Bazaz P.N. (1976) “The History of Freedom Struggle in Kashmir”, Karachi: National Book Foundation.
Published in : Volume 1 | Issue 5 | November-December 2015
Date of Publication : 2015-12-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 326-329
Manuscript Number : IJSRST151551
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Aushaq Hussain Dar, Aasif Nengroo, "Dogra Raj and Forms of Silent Protest in Kashmir (1846-1932)", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 1, Issue 5, pp.326-329, November-December-2015
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST151551