Home > Archives > IJSRST162111
Prosthodontic Management In Parkinson's Disease - A Review
Authors(4) :-Dr. Unjum Bashir, Dr. Lakshmanarao. Bathala, Dr. Sangur. R, Dr.Naga Rajesh Naidu. T
Parkinson's disease is neurological disorder characterizedby rigidity, tremors, postural instability and bradykinesia. Parkinson's disease is seen in about 6.3 million people of all races and culture. Impaired motor skills and cognition effects the diet of patient, nutrition and therefore compromises the general health and oral hygiene of the patient. As a result dental caries, Periodontitis and finally edentulism is commonly seen. Diligent handling with "Tender, Love and care" are required for treating such patients. The family of the patient should also be educated about the disease. This article reviews the etiology, clinical features, orofacial findings and the prosthodontic management of such patients.
Dr. Unjum Bashir, Dr. Lakshmanarao. Bathala, Dr. Sangur. R, Dr.Naga Rajesh Naidu. T
Paralysis, Xerostomia, Over Denture, Implants.
- Dr. Robert L Kane. Essentials of Clinical Geriatrics. 7th edition. McGraw Hill Medical 2013:pp271-79.
- Zingmond MJ, Burke RE.Pathophysiology of Parkinson’s disease. Neuropsychopharmacology: The Fifth Generation of Progress. American College of Neuropsychopharmacology 2002:pp1782-793.
- Savica R, Rocca WA, Ahlskog JE. When does Parkinson’s disease start? Arch Neurol 2011; 68:137-38.
- Lees AJ, Hardy J, Revesz T. Parkinson’s disease. Lancet 2009; 29: 684.
- Gupta BM , Bala A. Parkinson's disease in India: An analysis of publications output during 2002-2011. Int J Nutrition, Pharmacology, Neurological Diseases 2013; 3: 254-262.
- Ciarrocca KN, Greenberg MS, Garfunkel A. Neuromuscular diseases. In: Burkett’s Oral medicine: Diagnosis and treatment. MS Greenberg, MG luck, Eds.; 10th Ed.; Harcourt (India) Private Limited, New Delhi, 2003; pp: 597-598.
- Allen C M C, Lueck C J. Neurological disease. In: Davidson’s principles and practice of medicine. C. Haslett, ER Chilvers, NA Boon, NR Colledge, Eds.;19th Ed.; Churchill Livengstone, New Delhi, 2002;pp:1174-77.
- Friedlander AH, Mahler M, Norman KM, Ettinger RL. Parkinson disease systemic and orofacial manifestations, medical and dental management. JADA 2009; 140:658-669.
- Clifford TJ, Warsi MJ, Burnett CA, Lamey PJ: Burning mouth in Parkinson’s disease sufferers. Gerodontology, 1998; 15:73-78.
- Corah NL, Gale EN, Illig SJ: The Use of relaxation and distraction to reduce psychological stress during dental procedures. Journal of the American Dental Association, 1979; 98:390-94.
- Dissanayaka NN, Sellbach A, Matheson S, O’Sullivan JD, Silburn PA, Byrne GJ, Marsh R, Mellick GD. Anxiety disorders in Parkinson’s disease: prevalence and risk factors. MovDisord, 2010; 25: 838-45.
- Nakayama Y, Washio M, Mori M. Oral health conditions in patients with Parkinson’s disease. J Epidemiol 2004; 14: 143-50.
- Vinaya B, Krishna P, Balaji S. Complete denture treatment protocol in Parkinson’s disease- a case report. JIADS 2011; 2: 63-65.
- Turner M, Jahangiri L, Ship JA. Hypo salivation, xerostomia and the complete denture- A systematic review. Journal of the American Dental Association 2008; 139:146-150.
- Rajeswari CL. Prosthodontic considerations in Parkinson’s. Peoples Journal of Scientific Research 2010; 3: 45-47.
- Al Hamad KQ, Azar WZ, Alwaeli HA, Said KN: A clinical study on the effects of cordless and conventional retraction techniques on the gingival and periodontal health. J clinical Periodontol 2008; 35:1053-1058.
- Heckmann SM, Heckmann JG, Weber HP: Clinical outcomes of three Parkinson’s disease patients treated with mandibular implant over dentures. Clinical Oral Implants Research, 2000; 11:566-571.
- Packer M, Nikitin V, Coward T, Davis DM, Fiske J: The potential benefits of dental implants on the oral health quality of life of people with Parkinson’s disease. Gerodontology 2009; 26:11–18.
- Supported, magnet retained mandibular over denture for an edentulous patient with Parkinson’s disease: A clinical report. J Prosthet Dent2004; 91:219–222.
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 1 | January-February 2016
Date of Publication : 2016-02-25
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 51-53
Manuscript Number : IJSRST162111
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Dr. Unjum Bashir, Dr. Lakshmanarao. Bathala, Dr. Sangur. R, Dr.Naga Rajesh Naidu. T, "Prosthodontic Management In Parkinson's Disease - A Review", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 1, pp.51-53, January-February-2016
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST162111