Home > Archives > IJSRST162114
How Web Aesthetics Impact Online Shopping
Authors(1) :-Raja Sarkar
The business world is changing rapidly and it is getting restructured at an astonishing pace. Internet penetration has resulted in the commencement of a new era and has brought a completely new and important source of income for small, medium and big companies by servicing their customers through internet whether they are in their work place or at home. It is getting used as an easy and affordable means to transact business without any limitation of time, place or situation. Online shopping has created a new platform for the expansion and growth of business. This study examines the role and impact of aesthetic design in online shopping stores. Designing online shopping sites involves the application of knowledge from diverse fields such as marketing and human-computer interaction. This article is a collation of research findings from different areas to investigate the role of web aesthetics in shaping the mood and perception of consumers in favour of online shopping companies.
Aesthetics, Consumer Behavior, Online Shopping, Human-Computer Interaction, Marketing, Web-Store Design.
- Barwise, Patrick, Anita Elberse, and Kathy Hammond 2002. "Marketing and the Internet." In Handbook of Marketing. Eds. Weitz, B. and R. Wensley. London: Sage Publishing.
- Bellizzi Joseph A. and Robert E. Hite. 1992. "Environmental Color, Consumer Feelings and Purchase Likelihood." Psychology and Marketing 9: 347-363.
- Bellman, Steven, Gerald L. Lohse, and Eric. J. Johnson. 1999. "Predictors of Online Buying Behavior," Communications of the ACM 42 (December): 32-38.
- Berthon, Pierre, Morris B. Holbrook, and James M. Hulbert. 2000. "Beyond Market Orientation: A Conceptualization of Market Evolution." Journal of Interactive Marketing 14: 50-66.
- Butler, Keith.A. 1996. "Usability Engineering Turns 19." Interactions 3: 59-75.
- Card, Stuart K., Thomas .P. Moran, and Allen Newell. 1983. The Psychology of Human-Computer Interaction. Lawrence Erlbaum, Hillsdale, NJ.
- Chang, Younhwa, Leslie D. Burns, and Charles J. Noel. 1996. "Attitudinal Versus Normative Influence in the Purchase of Brand-Name Casual Apparel." Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal 25(1): 79-109.
- Childers Terry L., Christopher L. Carr, Joann Peck, and Stephen Carson, 2001. “Hedonic and utilitarian motivations for online retail shopping behavior.” Journal of Retailing 77(4): 511-535.
- Coates, Dale. 2003. Watches Tell More than Time. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Cox, Dena and Anthony D. Cox. 2002. "Beyond First Impressions: The Effects of Repeated Exposure on Consumer Liking of Visually Complex and Simple Product Designs". Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science 30: 119-130.
- Creusen, Mariëlle E. H and Jan P. L. Schoormans. 2005. "The Different Roles of Product Appearance in Consumer Choice" Journal of Product Innovation Management 22(1): 63-81
- Darden, William R. and Barry J. Babin. 1994. “Exploring the Concept of Affective Quality: Expanding the Concept of Retail Personality.” Journal of Business Research 29: 101-109.
- Dion, Karen, Ellen Berscheid, and Elaine Walster. 1972. "What is Beautiful is Good." Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 24: 285-290.
- Donovan, Robert J. and John R. Rossiter. 1982. “Store Atmosphere: An Experimental Psychology Approach,” Journal of Retailing 58 (Spring): 34-57.
- Donovan, Robert J., John R. Rossister, Gilian Marcoolyn, and Andrew Nesdale. 1994. "Store Atmosphere and Purchasing Behavior." Journal of Retailing 70: 283-294.
- Eagly, Alice H., Richard D. Ashmore, Mona G. Makhijani, and Laura C. Longo. 1991. "What is Beautiful is Good, but: A Metaanalytic Review of Research on the Physical Attractiveness Stereotype." Psychological Bulletin 110: 199-128.
- Fazio, Russell H., Roskos-Ewoldsen, David R., and Martha C. Powell. 1994. “Attitudes, perception, and attention.” In P.M. Niedenthal and S. Kitayama (eds.The Heart's Eye, Academic Press.
- Fiske, John, Bob Hodge, and Graeme Turner. 1987. Myths of Oz. Sydney: Allen and Unwin.
- Fogg, B.J., Cathy Soohoo, David Danielsen, Leslie Marable, Julianne Stanford, and Ellen R. Tauber. 2002. "How Do People Evaluate a Web Site’s Credibility?" Persuasive Technology Lab, Stanford University.
- Gilboa, Shaked and Anat Rafaeli (2003), "Store Environment, Emotions and Approach Behavior: Applying Environmental Aesthetics to Retailing," The International Review of Retail, Distribution and Consumer Research 13 (2): 195-211.
- Gumpert, G. and S.J. Drucker. 1992. “From Agora to the Electronic Shopping Mall.” Critical Studies in Mass Communication 9: 186-200.
- Hassenzahl, Marc 2003. "The Thing and I: Understanding the Relationship Between User and Product." In Funology: From Usability to Enjoyment. Eds. Blythe, M.A., A.F. Monk, K. Overbeeke, and P.C. Wright. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers: 31–42.
- Van der Heijden, Hans. 2003. "Factors Influencing the Usage of Websites: The Case of a Generic Portal in The Netherlands." Information and Management 40: 541–549.
- Holbrook, Morris B. 1982. "Mapping the Retail Market for Esthetic Products: The Case of Jazz Records." Journal of Retailing 58: 14-129.
- Kotler, Philip. 1997. Marketing Management: Analysis, Planning, Implementation and Control th Ed. Prentice Hall.
- Kotler, Philip and Murali K. Mantrla. 1985. “flawed Products: Consumer Responses and Marketer Strategies.” Journal of Consumer Marketing 2: 27-36.
- Kotler, Philip and G. Alexander Rath. 1984. "Design a Powerful but Neglected Strategic Tool" Journal of Business Strategy 5: 16-21.
- Kruft, Hanno-Walter. 1994. A History of Architectural Theory: From Vitruvius to the Present. Zwemmer and Princeton Architectural Press.
- Lavie, Talia and Noam Tractinsky. 2004. “Assessing Dimensions of Perceived Visual Aesthetics of Web Sites.” International Journal of Human-Computer Studies 60: 269-298.
- Levy, Michael and Barton A. Weitz. 1998. Retailing Management (3rd Ed.), Boston: Irwin/McGraw-Hill.
- Lindgaard, Gitte and Cathy Dudek. 2003. "What is This Evasive Beast We Call User Satisfaction?" Interacting with Computers 15: 429-452.
- Lindgaard, Gitte, Gary J. Fernandes, Cathy Dudek, and J. Brown. 2006. "Attention Web Designers: You Have 50 Milliseconds to Make a Good First Impression!" Behavior and Information Technology 25: 115 - 126.
- Lindgaard, Gitte and Allan T.W. Whitfield 2004. “Integrating aesthetics within an evolutionary and psychological framework,” Theoretical Issues in Ergonomics Science, 5(1): 73 – 90.
- Lohse, Gerald L., Steven Bellman, and Eric. J. Johnson. 2000. “Consumer Buying Behavior on the Internet: Findings from Panel Data.” Journal of Interactive Marketing 14: 15-29.
- Lohse, Gerald.L. and Peter Spiller. 1998. “Electronic shopping.” Communications of the ACM 41: 81-85.
- Loken, Barbara 2006. "Consumer Psychology: Categorization, Inferences, Affect, and Persuasion." Annual Review of Psychology 57: 453–85.
- McKnight, D. Harrison, Vivek Choudhury, and Charles Kacmar. 2002. "Developing and Validating Trust Measures for e-Commerce: An Integrative Typology." Information Systems Research 13 (September): 334–359.
- Meloy, Margaret G. 2000. "Mood-Driven Distortion of Product Information." Journal of Consumer Research 27: 345-359.
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 1 | January-February 2016
Date of Publication : 2016-02-25
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 54-58
Manuscript Number : IJSRST162114
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Raja Sarkar, "How Web Aesthetics Impact Online Shopping", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 1, pp.54-58, January-February-2016.
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST162114