Home > Archives > IJSRST162116
Polyester/Vinylester Blended Hybrid Nanocomposites Reinforced with Carbon Fibre on Characterization
Authors(3) :-P. Hari Sankar, Y. V. Mohana Reddy, K. Hemachandra Reddy
This paper presents a polymer blended hybrid nanocomposites prepared by mixing of polyester and vinylester filled with nanoclay and carbon fibre. Hybrid nanocomposites was filled with different clay weight ratios such as 0, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 5, 6wt.% using rule of hybrid mixtures. Two different systems using hand layup technique such as blend plus clay as the first system and blend plus carbon fibre plus nanoclay is the second system. Flexural and compression properties and morphology properties were studied on effect of miscibility and clay loading. Clay dispersion was uniform and also fibre blend interactions were also significantly improved for the later system. Clay wt.% was varied with respect to the modified blend. It was observed that flexural strength was increased linearly from 0wt.% to 4 wt.% and then decreases for the former system whereas for the later system linearly increases from the 0wt.% to 5wt.% and then decreases. Flexural modulus was optimised at 5wt.% for system one and system two and the reason were attributed that addition of clay increases the modulus but excess clay produces high viscosity that makes difficult to flow the modified mixture. Compression strength and modulus were increased from 0wt.% to 5wt.% for duo systems and then decreases and the reasons were attributed that due to poor flowability of the modified mixture as a result of the increased viscosity may causes the decrease in performance. Fractured surfaces were analysed through the morphology studies to see that fiber/blend, polymer/polymer, blend/clay interactions and agglomerations, pull outs, voids as these are things which reduces the stress concentration limits.
P. Hari Sankar, Y. V. Mohana Reddy, K. Hemachandra Reddy
Nanocomposites; Polyester/polyester blend; SEM; Flexural Properties; Compression Properties.
- A.Varada Rajulu, G. Babu Rao, and R. Lakshminarayana Reddy, J. Polym. Mater., 23,234 (2001).
- A.Varada Rajulu, G. Babu Rao, and R. Lakshminarayana Reddy, Ind. J. Fib. Text. Res., 25,295 (2000).
- A.Varada Rajulu, S.V. Sanjeev Kumar, and G. Babu Rao, J. Rein. Plas. Comp., 22,200 (2001).
- A.Varada Rajulu, L. Ganga Devi, and G. Babu Rao, J. App. Polym. Sci., 89(11), 2970 (2003).
- K.M. Mannan, M.A.I.Talukder, Polym., 38, 2493(1997).
- M. Wang, and W. Bonfield, Biomater., 22,1311(2001).
- D.Choi, K.G. Marra, and P.N. Kumta, Mater. Res. Bull., 39, 417(2004).
- L.Calandrelli, B. Immirzi, M. Malinconico, M.G.Volpe, A.Oliva, and F.Della Ragione, Polym., 41,8027(2000).
- A.R. Boccaccini, and V.Maquet, Compos. Sci. Technol., 63, 2417(2003).
- S.Verrier, J.J.Blaker, V. Maquet, and L.L.Hench , Biomater., 25,3013(2004).
- L.Borum-Nicholas, and O.C.Wilson, J. Biomater., 24, 3671(2003).
- A.Usuki, Y. Kojima, M. Kawasumi, A.Okada, Y.Fukushima, T.Kurauchi, and O.Kamigaito, J. Mater. Res., 8, 1185(1993).
- Y.Kojima, A. Usuki, M. Kawasumi, A. Okada, T. Kurauchi, and O.J.Kamigaito, J. Polym Sci, Part A: Polym Chem., 31, 983(1993).
- Y.Kojima, A. Usuki, M. Kawasumi, A. Okada, T. Kurauchi, and O.J. Kamigaito, Polym Sci, Part A: Polym Chem.,31, 1755(1993).
- L.Liu, Z.Qi, and X.J. Zhu, Appl Polym Sci., 71, 1133(1999).
- T.Lan, D. Kaviratna,and K. Pinnavaia, J. Chem Mater., 6, 573(1994).
- M.Ashok Kumar, K.Hemachandra Reddy, Y.V. Mohana Reddy, G. Ramachandra Reddy, and S. Venkata Naidu., Int J Polym Mater., 9,854(2010).
- K. V. P. Chakradhar , K. Venkata Subbaiah , M. Ashok Kumar, and G. Ramachandra Reddy, J. Polym. Plas. Tech. Engg.,51, 92(2011).
- K. V. P. Chakradhar, K. V. Subbaiah, M. Ashok Kumar, and N. Subbarami Reddy, Intern. J. of Engg. Res. & Indu. Appls., 4, 123(2011).
- B.Q.Chen, and J.R.G.Evans, J. Polym. Sci. Polym. Phys., 49 (6) 443(2011).
- P. LeBaron, Z. Wang, and T. Pinnavaia, Appl Clay Sci., 15, 11(1999).
- P.Harisankar, Y.V. 15Mohana Reddy, and Hemachandra Reddy, Intern. Lett. Chem. Phy. Astro., 37, 75(2014).
- B.k.G.Theng, Formation and Properties of Clay–Polymer Complexes; Elsevier: Amsterdam, 1979.
- R.Krishnamoorti, A. Vaia, P. Giannelis, Chem. Mater., 8, 1728(1996).
- P.Giannelis, Appl Organomet Chem., 12, 675(1998).
- A.Okada, M. Kawasumi, A. Usuki, Y. Kojima, T. Kurauchi, and O. Kamigaito, Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc., 171, 45(1990).
- P.Giannelis, Adv Mater., 8, 29(1996).
- E.P.Giannelis, R. Krishnamoorti, and E. Manias, Adv Polym Sci., 138, 107(1999).
- P.C.LeBaron, Z.Wang, and T.J.Pinnavaia, J. Appl. Clay. Sci., , 11(1999).
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 1 | January-February 2016
Date of Publication : 2016-02-29
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 78-85
Manuscript Number : IJSRST162116
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
P. Hari Sankar, Y. V. Mohana Reddy, K. Hemachandra Reddy, "Polyester/Vinylester Blended Hybrid Nanocomposites Reinforced with Carbon Fibre on Characterization", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 1, pp.78-85, January-February-2016
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST162116