Home > Archives > IJSRST16215
Chemical Flexi Not-So-Fantastic: A review on How the Versatile Material Harms the Environment and Human Health
Authors(2) :-Dr. R. Hema Krishna, Dr. A.V.V.S Swamy
The review presented in this paper focuses on flex’s impact on Human health and environment. The flex banners are made of poly-vinyl chloride. It causes a serious threat to the environment, as it is not bio-degradable. Flex cannot be re-used or recycled. Made of synthetic polymer, it has to be burnt. When burnt, they emit toxic fumes that have serious effects on health. It can cause cancer and infertility. The toxins released when the flex banners are burnt are carcinogenic (any substance, radionuclide, or radiation that is an agent directly involved in causing cancer. This may be due to the ability to damage the genome or to the disruption of cellular metabolic processes. Burning of flexi releases harmful pollutants like sulphates and nitrates. These pollutants are heavier than air and form a thick blanket reducing the supply of oxygen in the vicinity. PVC leaches out slowly into the soil and pollutes it. Usage of cloth banners could be encouraged as it would not only give a livelihood for painters and labourers, but also would not cause any environmental degradation. The purpose of this review is to 100% Environment-friendly Polyethylene Flexi banner materials must be developed and encouraged to the environmental sustainability.
Dr. R. Hema Krishna, Dr. A.V.V.S Swamy
Flex Banners, Poly-Vinyl Chloride, Polyethylene, Cancer and Infertility.
- http://www.worldenvironment.tv/green-news/88-sustainable-development/1696-visual-Pollution 2015.
- http://www.worldenvironment.tv/pdf-mag/we_11.pdf 2015.
- urbanwasteandpollution.blogspot.com/.../my-eyes-visual-pollution.html 2015.
- www.newindianexpress.com/cities/bengaluru/article1466280.ece 2015.
- P. Hegde , The devil in flex boards thrives, The new Indian express,2015
- H. Miao, H. Zhao, P. Jiang, Poly (vinyl chloride) films plasticized with novel poly-nadic-anhydridepolyesterplasticizers.J.VinylAdditTechnol.2015, ( doi: 10.1002/vnl.21510)
- E. Yousif, A. Hasan / Journal of Taibah University for Science 9, 2015, 421–448. doi:10.1016/j.jtusci.2014.
- Clouddigital.in/Vinyl.html 2015.
- G. Padmini Devi, M.S. Chaitanya Kumari, Bindu Madhavi. Adverse effects of plastic on Environment and human beings, JCHPS Special Issue 3 2014, 56-58.
- www.colorado.edu/envs/node/548/attachment/newest clouddigital.in/Vinyl.html.
- Good Guide. Poly (Methylmethacrylate) in Toners &AstringentsGuide.http://www.goodgu de.com/ingredients/261635polymethylmethacrylate?category_id=152768tonersastringents 2010.
- International Carbon Black Association. What is Carbon Black? 2006. http://www.carbon black. org/what_is.html.
- Rohm , Haas Company. Material Safety Data Sheet: Thixon. http://www.hmroyal.com/ msds/Thixon%20532-A-EF.pdf.
- Encyclopaedia Britannica. 2011, Paraffin Wax. http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/ 442604/paraffin-wax on 3/3/11.
- Jonathan Nelson, Lindsey Carney, James Wille-Irmiter, Kaylyn Bopp, and Sarah BallewLisa K. Barlow Life. Cycle Impact of Toner and Ink for CU-Boulder- Chapter 32011 25-52.
- M. Zhang , A.Buekens , X .Jiang, X. Li, Dioxins and polyvinylchloride in combustion and fires.Waste Manag Res. 33(7) 630-643,(2015
- Wandel,Markus."HP Ink Jet Printer Cartridge Anatomy".2003. http://wandel.ca/hp45_anatomy/index.html.
- Jessica A. Knoblauch Environmental Health News, Plastic Not-So-Fantastic: How the Versatile Material Harms the Environment and Human Health a news source published by Environmental Health Sciences 2009.
- North, Emily, Halden, Rolf. “Plastics and Environmental Health: The Road Ahead,”Reviews on Environmental Health, 28(1) 2014, 1-8. (doi: 10.1515/reveh- 20120030).
- Md. Mamun Habib, Photo stabilization of Poly(vinyl Chloride)A Survey of Recent Studies photo stabilization of Poly(vinyl Chloride)A Survey of Recent Studies Photo degradation and Photo stabilization of PVC LAP Lambert Academic Publishing 2015.
- E. Yousif, A.Hasan, Photostabilization of poly(vinyl chloride) – Still on the run Journal of TaibahUniversity, 9(4), 2015 421–448. (doi:10.1016/j.jtusci.2014.09.007).
- E. Yousif , A. Hasan, Ultra-violet spectra studies of photostabilization rate in PVC films by using some transition metal complexes, ArabJ. Phys. Chem., 1 (2), 2014, 32-38.
- N. Allewell, O. Linda, Narhi, I. Rayment, Molecular Biophysics for the Life Sciences 6, 2013.
- EPA: Environmental Protection Agency. 2010, An Introduction to Indoor Air Quality, 2010. http://www.epa.gov/iaq/voc.html.
- Energy Information Administration. "Greenhouse Gases, Climate Change, and Energy." (2006) http://www.eia.doe.gov/cfapps/bookshelf/.
- United States Environmental Protection Agency. 2010, "Municipal Solid Waste Generation, Recycling and Disposal in the United States: Facts and Figures for 2009." Dec. 2010. http://www.epa.gov/osw/nonhaz/municipal/pubs/msw 2009-fs.pdf.
- Health Canada. Environmental and Workplace Health: Detailed Assessment. 2007 http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ewh-semt/pubs/air/office_building-immeubles_bureaux/detailed- detaillee- eng.php.
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 1 | January-February 2016
Date of Publication : 2016-02-03
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 36-45
Manuscript Number : IJSRST16215
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Dr. R. Hema Krishna, Dr. A.V.V.S Swamy, "Chemical Flexi Not-So-Fantastic: A review on How the Versatile Material Harms the Environment and Human Health", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 1, pp.36-45, January-February-2016.
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST16215