Home > Archives > IJSRST16219
Effect of Antibiotics Overuse in Animal Food and its Link with Public Health Risk
Authors(4) :-Bahjat Ghorbani, Mahin Ghorbani, Mozhgan Abedi, Mitra Tayebi
Antibiotics are a group of antimicrobial substances that are used in treatment of bacterial infections and prevent diseases. Use of antibiotics in poultry have been observed since 1940, the purpose of the usage was initially for treatment of infection but gradually taking this drug increased dramatically in animal husbandries especially in poultry in the second half of the twentieth century for increasing economic benefits because these antibiotics have ability to work as hormone growths. Meanwhile at the end of the century, more than 70 percent of all produced antibiotics consumed in animal husbandries.. Overuse and abuse of these medications in poultry have dangerous effect on human health as consumers of these products because of strong relationship between use of antibiotic in animal food and itís resistance in human's body. In this paper we focused on different types of antibiotics used in poultry and discussed possible overuse of antibiotics in animal husbandries which result in threatening human health in order to encourage establishing organizations Supporting Restrictions on the Use of antibiotics in animal husbandries to save human health in this order.
Bahjat Ghorbani, Mahin Ghorbani, Mozhgan Abedi, Mitra Tayebi
Antibiotics, Overuse, Animal Husbandries, Antibiotic Resistance, Human Health
- The Merck Manual of Medical Information. Mark H. Beers et al., eds. 2nd Home Edition. Whitehouse Station, NJ: Merck; 2003.
- Antibiotics: MedlinePlus. U.S. National Library of Medicine
- Physicians' Desk Reference. 59th ed. Montvale, N.J.: Thomson PDR, 2005.
- Waksman SA. Mycologia Vol. 39, No. 5 (Sept.-Oct. 1947): 565-569.
- Timothy F. Landers, Bevin Cohen, Thomas E. Wittum, Elaine L. Larson, A Review of Antibiotic Use in Food Animals: Perspective, Policy, and Potential Public Health Rep. 2012 Jan-Feb; 127(1): 4–22.
- Pg 5 in Interagency Task Force on Antimicrobial Resistance, 2012. A Public Health Action Plan toCombat Antimicrobial Resistance. Washington, D.C
- Pg 5 in American Farm Bureau Federation et al June 12, 2012 letter to Congressperson Slaughter
- Pg. 2 in Institute of Medicine (IOM). 1988. Human Health Risks with the Subtherapeutic Use of Penicillin or Tetracyclines in Animal Feed. National Academies Press. Washington, D.C.
- Pg. 6 in IOM. 1998. The Use of Drugs in Food Animals: Benefits and Risks. National Academies Press. Washington, D.C.
- Pg. 1 in WHO/FAO/OIE. 2003. Joint FAO/OIE/WHO Expert Workshop on Non-Human Antimicrobial Usage and Antimicrobial Resistance: Scientific assessment, Geneva, December 1-5, 2003.
- Hearing: Antiobiotic Resistance and the Use of Antibiotics in Animal Agriculture, Subcommittee on
- Health, Energy and Commerce Committee, U.S. House of Representatives, July 12, 2010
- Pg. 738 in FDA. 2012. New Animal Drugs; Cephalosporin Drugs; Extralabel Animal Drug Use; Order of Prohibition. Federal Register, Vol. 77(4)
- Consumer Reports, 2010. How safe is That Chicken. January 2010, pp. 19-23. Consumers Union.
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC). 2011. Investigation Update: Multistate Outbreak of Human Salmonella Heidelberg Infections Linked to Ground Turkey.
- Food and Water Watch. 2012. Antibiotic Resistance 101: How Antibiotic Misuse on Factory Farms Can Make You Sick. 21pp.
- Consumer Reports, 2007. Dirty Birds. January 2007, pp. 20-23. Consumers Union.
- CDC. 2012. Investigation Update: Multistate Outbreak of Human Salmonella Typhimurium infections Linked to Ground Beef.
- Price LB, Graham JP, Lackey LG, Roess A, Vailers R and E Silbergeld. 2007. Elevated risk of carrying gentamicin-resistant Escherichia coli among U.S. poultry workers. Environmental Health Perspectives, 115(12): 1738-1742.
- Van Loo I, Huijsdens X, Tiemersma E, de Neeling A, van de Sande-Bruinsma N, Beaujean D, Voss A and J Kluytmans. 2007. Emergence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus of animal origin in humans. Emerging Infectious Diseases, 13(12): 1834-1839.
- Price LB, Stegger M, Hasman H, Aziz M, Larsen J, Andersen PS, Pearson T, Waters AE, Foster JT et al. 2012. Staphylococcus aureus CC398: Host adaptation and emergence of methicillin resistance in livestock. mBio, 3(1): e00305-11 At
- Smith TC, Male MJ, Harper AL, Kroeger JS, Tinkler GP, Moritz ED, Capuano AW, Herwalt LA and DJ Diekema. 2009. Methicillin-resistantStaphylococcus aureus (MRSA) strain ST398 is present in midwestern U.S. swine and swine workers. PLoS One, 4(1): e4258.
- Rule AM, Evans SL and EK Silbergeld. 2008. Food and animal transport a potential source of community exposure to health hazards from industrial farming (CAFOs). Journal of Infection and Public Health, 1(1): 33-39.
- Chee-Sanford JC, Mackie RI, Koike S, Krapac IG, Lin Y-F, Yannarell AC, Maxwell S and RI Aminov. 2009. Fate and transport of antibiotic residues and antibiotic resistance genes following land application of manure waste. Journal of Environmental Quality, 38(3): 1086-1108.
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 1 | January-February 2016
Date of Publication : 2016-02-07
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 46-50
Manuscript Number : IJSRST16219
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Bahjat Ghorbani, Mahin Ghorbani, Mozhgan Abedi, Mitra Tayebi, "Effect of Antibiotics Overuse in Animal Food and its Link with Public Health Risk", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 1, pp.46-50, January-February-2016
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST16219