Home > Archives > IJSRST16221
Banana Fruit Stem Fiber Reinforced with Polyester Composites on Mechanical Properties
Authors(3) :-M. Venkateswarlu, M. Ashok Kumar, M. Nagakiran
This research article presents polymer composites reinforced with Banana stem fruit fiber (BFF) to assess the mechanical properties. The fibers used in the research are treated with NaOH solution gain the advantage over the neat polyester. Fiber was loaded with 2,3,4,5, and 6 wt.% for both the composites. Composites are prepared with the help of hand layup technique and the glass moulds are prepared to provide castings for composites. Banana fiber was treated with NaOH (10%) solution for about 45 minutes. Tensile strength, modulus and flexural strength and modulus were estimated for both treated and untreated composites. It was noticed that treated composites are good candidates for effective improvement of the performance. In SEM analysis reveals the improved/ decreased performance of treated and untreated composites.
M. Venkateswarlu, M. Ashok Kumar, M. Nagakiran
Banana fruit fiber (BFF), Polyester, Composite, Mechanical Properties, SEM
- Ashok Kumar, M.; Hemachandra Reddy, K.; Mohana Reddy, Y.V.; Ramachandra Reddy, G.; N.S. Venkatesh Kumar and BH. Nanjunda Reddy, Assessment of Nanoclay filled epoxy on mechanical, thermal and chemical resistance properties of nanocomposites, J. Metallurgy and Material Science,52(4),2010,305-315.
- M.Ashok Kumar, G.Ramachandra Reddy, K.R.Vishnu Mahesh, K.V.P.Chakradhar and Y.V. Mohana Reddy, Performance of Zeamays fiber reinforced epoxy composites, Inter J Fiber and Textile Research 2011,1(1):22-27.
- M.Ashok Kumar, G.Ramachandra Reddy, K.R.Vishnu Mahesh, T.Hemanth Babu, G.Vasanth Kumar Reddy, H. Dasaratha and Y.V. Mohana Reddy, Fabrication and performance of natural fibers: Sansevieria cylindraci,waste silk, jute and drum stick fibers( Moringa Olefera) Reinforced with rubber polyester composites, Inter J Fiber and Textile Research,2011,1(1),15-21.
- M.Ashok Kumar, G.Ramachandra Reddy, K.V.P.Chakradhar, Hydrophilic Fumed Silica/Clay Nanocomposites: Effect of Silica/Clay on Performance, International J of Nanomaterials and Biostructures, 2011, 1(1):1-11.
- M.Ashok Kumar, G.Ramachandra Reddy, T. Hemanth Babu, C. Sai Chaitanya Kishore, T.Surya Narayana Reddy, Mohammad Ashfaq, B.Ravi Kumar, Tensile and Thermal Properties of Polymer Coatings Effect on Surghum vaigaris stalk fiber, International J Macromolecular Science, 2012, 2(1)4:1-4.
- M.Ashok Kumar, G.Ramachandra Reddy, G. Harinath Reddy, N. Subbarami Reddy, Tensile and Thermal Properties of Polymer Coatings Effect on Surghum vaigaris stalk fiber, J Polymer materials, 2012, 29(1)4:71-75.
- V. Naga Prasad Naidu, G.Ramachandra Reddy, M.Ashok Kumar, G. Harinath Reddy, Heat Capacity of Sisal/ glass fiber reinforced hybrid composites, Ind J Mater Sci., 2011(in press).
- V. Naga Prasad Naidu, M.Ashok Kumar, G.Ramachandra Reddy, Noorunnisa Khanam, M.Mohan Reddy, K.V.P.Chakradhar, Tensile & Flexural Properties of Sisal/ glass fiber reinforced hybrid composites, International J Macromolecular Sci., 2011, 1(1):19-22.
- V. Naga Prasad Naidu, G.Ramachandra Reddy, M.Ashok Kumar, Thermal Conductivity of Sisal/ glass fiber reinforced Hybrid Composites, International J Fiber and Textile Research., 2011, 1(1):19-22.
- Naga Prasad Naidu, G.Ramachandra Reddy, M.Ashok Kumar, M. Mohan Reddy, P. Noorunnisha Khanam, S.Venkata Naidu, Compressive and Impact Properties of Sisal/ glass fiber reinforced Hybrid Composites, International J Fiber and Textile Research., 2011, 1(1):11-14.
- H. Ranganna, N. Karthikeyan, V. Nikhilmurthy, S. Raj Kumar, M. Ashok Kumar, G. Ramachandra Reddy, Mechanical & Thermal Properties Of Epoxy Based Hybrid Composites Reinforced With Sisal/Glass Fibres, International Journal of Fiber and Textile Research, 2012; 2(3): 26-29.
- K.R. Vishnu Mahesh, H.N.Narasimhamurthy, B.E. Kumara Swamy, R.Sridhar, M.Ashok Kumar, N.Raghavendra, G.R.Raj Kumar, M.Krishna and B.S. Sherigara, Effect of Alkaline Environment on the properties of Nanoclay/Vinyl-ester/Glass Nanocomposites, International Journal of Science Research,01,06-11,2012.
- H.Ranganna, M. Ashok Kumar, A. Ramesh, N. Madhava Reddy, N.Karthikeyan, V.Nikil Murthy, S.Raja Kumar, S.Mahaboob Basha, E.V.Subba Reddy, Development And Behavior Of Mechanical Properties Of Graphite/ Granite Filled Epoxy Hybrid Composites, International Journal Of Fiber And Textile Research 2013; 3(2): 57-59.
- Chen, Y., Davalos, JF., Ray, I. and Kim, HY., Accelerated aging tests for evaluations of durability performance of FRP reinforcing bars for concrete structures, Compos Struct.78(1):101–11,2007.
- Gillham, JK., The TBA torsion pendulum: a technique for characterizing the cure and properties of thermosetting systems,Polymer Int. 44(3):262–276,1997.
- Marouani, S., CurtiL, L. and Hamelin, P., Composites realized by hand lay-up process in a civil engineering environment: initial properties and durability, Mater Structures. 41(5):831–851,2008.
- Rasanen, V. and Penttala, V., The pH measurement of concrete and smoothing mortar using a concrete powder suspension, Cem Concr Res. 34(5):813–820,2004.
- Edwards, KL., An overview of the technology of fiber-reinforced plastics for design purposes,Mater Des.19(1-2):1–10,1998.
- Collyer, AA., Rubber toughened engineering materials, London: Chapman and Hall; 1994.
- El-Tayep, NS. and Gadelrap, RM., Friction and wear properties of E-glass fiber reinforced epoxy composites under different sliding contact conditions,Wear. 192:112–117,1996.
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 1 | January-February 2016
Date of Publication : 2016-03-05
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 105-110
Manuscript Number : IJSRST16221
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
M. Venkateswarlu, M. Ashok Kumar, M. Nagakiran, "Banana Fruit Stem Fiber Reinforced with Polyester Composites on Mechanical Properties", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 1, pp.105-110, January-February-2016
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST16221