Home > Archives > IJSRST1622106
Comparison between Square and Rectangular Cross Section Muffler to Predict Noise Attenuation with Same Gas Volume
Authors(1) :-Amit Kumar Gupta
The paper shows the measurement of the acoustical transmission loss of square and rectangular cross section expansion chamber muffler with same gas volume. A muffler (silencer) is an important noise control element for reduction of machinery exhaust noises other noise source which involves the flow of gases. Mufflers are typically arranged along the exhaust pipe as the part of the exhaust system of an internal combustion engine to reduce its noise. Here basic term is used for noise attenuation namely transmission loss (TL). An experimental method for mufflerâ€™s transmission loss (TL) measurement for central inlet and central outlet muffler shows the validation of result. Finite element analysis tools comsol multiphysics used to validate the results. The wave 1-D used as a simulation tool. This paper is investigating the shape of muffler which is capable to reduce noise level.
Rectangular Cross Section Muffler, FEA Acoustic Module- wave 1-D, Sound Transmission loss
- Gupta A., Tiwari A.,"Improvement and validation of acoustic performance on reactive muffler with central inlet and side outlet position", National Journal of Technology, PSG, (Coimbatore), ISSN 0973-1334 Vol.11, No.3 pp 85-92, September, 2015.
- Nakra B. C., Said W. K. & Nassir A., "Investigations on mufflers for internal Combustion engines." Applied Acoustics Vol. 14 pp 135-145, (1981).
- Gupta A.K. and Tiwari A., "Comparison of Finite element analysis with an Experimental Validation on Transmission Loss Measurement for Acoustic Muffler", Journal of Automobile Engineering and Applications, Volume 1, Issue 2, pp 21-26, 2014.
- Amit Kumar Gupta, Dr. Ashesh Tiwari "Acoustic Characterization of Reactive Mufflers by Different Cross Sections Using One-Dimensional Analysisʺ Paripex - Indian Journal Of Research Vol 2 , Issue 3 , March 2013.
- Yasuda T., Wu C., Nakagawa N., Nagamura K., "Studies on an automobile muffler with the acoustic characteristic of low-pass filter and Helmholtz resonator", Applied Acoustics, pp 49-57, (2013).
- Gupta A.K. and Tiwari A.," Measurement of Sound Transmission Loss on Straight and Zigzag Perforated Concentric Tube Muffler with Constant Porosity", International Journal on Emerging Technologies, ISSN 2250–2459, Volume 6, Issue 1, pp 35-40, 2015.
- M.L. Munjal, "Acoustics of Ducts and Mufflers", John Wiley & Sons, (1987).
- Amit Kumar Gupta, Dr. Ashesh Tiwari "Modeling For Transmission Loss Prediction Of Different Shapes Of Acoustic Muffler With An Experimental Analysis ʺ Journal Of Experimental & Applied Mechanics, Vol 6, No 1 (2015).
- Gupta A.K. and Tiwari A., "Performance of Transmission Loss on hybrid muffler by using rockwool and glass wool as a absorbing materials" International Journal of Advances in Materials Science and Engineering (Australia), ISSN: 2201-2311, Vol.4, No.4, pp -49-57, 2015.
- Lima K., Arcanjo Lenzi, Renato Barbieri, "The study of reactive silencers by shape and parametric optimization techniques", Applied Acoustics, pp 142-150, (2011).
- Gupta A.K. and Tiwari A. "Enhancement on Sound Transmission Loss for Various Positioning of Inlet and Outlet Duct of the Muffler", International Journal of Engineering and Manufacturing (Hong Kong), ISSN: 2305-5982, IJEM-V5- N4, 2015.
- International Standard (10534-2), Acoustics - Determination of sound absorption coefficient and impedance in impedance tubes.
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 2 | March-April 2016
Date of Publication : 2016-04-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 194-197
Manuscript Number : IJSRST1622106
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Amit Kumar Gupta, "Comparison between Square and Rectangular Cross Section Muffler to Predict Noise Attenuation with Same Gas Volume", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 2, pp.194-197, March-April-2016.
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST1622106