Home > Archives > IJSRST1622121
Identification QTLs and Effective Factors on Grain Appearance Quality in Rice
Authors(4) :-Hossein Nohtani, R. Amirifahliani, B.A. Fakheri, A. Masomiasl
Rice (Oryza sativa L.), a staple cereal crop, feeds more than half of the world’s population. Improvement of rice yield and grain quality is the major objective of rice breeding worldwide. Grain quality primarily includes grain appearance, milling, eating and cooking and nutrition qualities. Grain appearance quality mainly includes grain shape and chalkiness. Grain shape, described by grain length (GL), grain width (GW), grain thickness (GT) and grain length to width ratio (GLWR), contributes to grain weight and yield and has a great impact on the market values of rice grain products. Grain chalkiness is an important grain quality related to starch granules in the endosperm. A high percentage of grain chalkiness is a major problem because it diminishes grain quality in rice. Grain size is a major determinant of grain weight, one of the three components (number of panicles per plant, number of grains per panicle and grain weight) of grain yield. In breeding applications, grain size is usually evaluated by grain weight, which is positively correlated with several characters including grain length, grain width and grain thickness . Grain size is also a highly important quality trait in rice. Recently, multiple naturally occurring quantitative trait loci (QTLs) regulating grain length, grain shape and grain width have been cloned and studied.
Hossein Nohtani, R. Amirifahliani, B.A. Fakheri, A. Masomiasl
Rice, Grain Appearance Quality, Grain Length , Grain width, QTLs
- Bartoli CG, Pastori GM, Foyer CH. 2000. Ascorbate biosynthesis in mitochondria is linked to the electron transport chain between complexes III and IV, Plant Physiol. 123;335–344
- Breseghello F, Sorrells ME. 2006. Association mapping of kernel size and milling quality in wheat (TriticumaestivumL.) cultivars. Genetics 172:1165–1177
- Dholakia BB, Ammiraju JSS, Singh H, Lagu MD, Dhaliwal HS, Ranjekar PK, Gupta VS, Weber WE. 2003. Molecular marker analysis of kernel size and shape in bread wheat. Plant Breed 122:392–395
- Fan C, Xing Y, Mao H, Lu T, Han B, Xu C, Li X, Zhang Q. 2006. GS3, a major QTL for grain length and weight and minor QTL for grain width and thickness in rice, encodes a putative transmembrane protein. Theor Appl Genet 112:1164–1171
- Gallie DR 2013.. The role ofL-ascorbic acid recycling in responding to environmental stress and in promoting plant growth,J. Exp. Bot. 64; 433–443.
- Gupta PK, Rustgi S, Kumar N. 2006. Genetic and molecular basis of grain size and grain number and its relevance to grain productivity in higher plants. Genome 49:565–571
- Hasegawa T, Kuwagata T, Nishimori M, Ishigooka Y, Murakami M, Yoshimoto M, Kondo M, Ishimaru T, Sawano S, Masaki Y, Matsuzaki H. 2009. Recent warming trends and rice growth and yield in Japan. In: Hasegawa T, Sakai H (eds) Proceeding of the MARCO Symposium. National Institute for AgroEnvironmental Sciences, Tsukuba, Japan, pp 44–51, 5–9 .
- Heang D, Sassa H. 2012a. Antagonistic actions of HLH/bHLH proteins are involved in grain length and weight in rice. Plos One 7(2):e31325
- Heang D, Sassa H. 2012b. An atypical bHLH protein encoded by POSITIVE REGULATOR OF GRAIN LENGTH 2is involved in controlling grain length and weight of rice through interaction with a typical bHLH protein APG. Breed Sci 62:133–141
- Huang R, Jiang L, Zheng J, Wang T, Wang H, Huang Y, Hong Z. 2013. Genetic bases of rice grain shape: so many genes, so little known. Trends Plant Sci 18:218–226
- Kitagawa K, Kurinami S, Oki K, Abe Y, Ando T, Kono I, Yano M, Kitano H, Iwasaki Y. 2010. A novel kinesin 13 protein regulating rice seed length. Plant Cell Physiol 51:1315–1329
- Kondo M, Iwasawa N, Yoshida H, Nakagawa H, Ohno H, Nakazono K, Usui Y, Tokida T, Hasegawa T, Kuwagata T, Morita S, Nagta K. 2012. Factors influencing the appearance quality in rice under high temperature in 2010. Jpn J Crop Sci 81(Extra issue 1):120–121
- Lanning SB, Siebenmorgen TJ, Counce PA, Ambardekar AA, Mauromoustakos 2011. Extreme nighttime air temperatures 2010 impact rice chalkiness and milling. Field Crops Res 124:132–136, doi.org/10.1016/j.fcr.2011.06.012
- Li J, Yu S, Xu C, Tan Y, Gao Y, Li X, Zhang Q. 2000. Analyzing quantitative trait loci for yield using a vegetatively replicated F2 population from a cross between the parents of an elite rice hybrid. Theor Appl Genet 101:248–254
- Li Y, Fan C, Xing Y, Jiang Y, Luo L, Sun L, Shao D, Cu C, Li X, Xiao J, He Y, Zhang Q. 2011. Natural variation in GS5plays an important role in regulating grain size and yield in rice. Nat Genet 43:1266–1269
- Lin LH, Wu WR. 2003. Mapping of QTLs underlying grain shape and grain weight in rice. Mol. Plant Breed. 1, 337e342
- Luo YK, Lin RH. 1990. Quality and processing of rice in china. In: Xiong ZM, Cai HF (eds) Rice in china. China Agriculture Science and Technology Publisher, Beijing, pp 164–181
- Lur HS, Wu YC, Chang SJ, Lao CL, Hsu CL, Kondo M. 2009. Effects of high temperature on yield and grain quality of rice in Taiwan. In: Hasegawa T, Sakai H (eds) Proceeding of the MARCO Symposium. National Institute for Agro-Environmental Sciences, Tsukuba, Japan, pp 38–43, 5–9.
- Mao H, Sun S, Yao J, Wang C, Yu S, Xu C, Li X, Zhang Q. 2010. Linking differential domain functions of the GS3protein to natural variation of grain size in rice. Proc Nat Acad Sci 107:19579–19584
- Morita S, Nakano H. 2011. Nonstructural carbohydrate content in the stem at full heading contributes to high performance of ripening in heat-tolerant rice cultivar Nikomaru. Crop Sci 51:818–828. doi:10.2135/cropsci2010.06.0373
- Morita S. 2008. Prospect for developing measures to prevent high-temperature damage to rice grain ripening. Jpn J Crop Sci 77:1–12
- Nakagawa H, Tanaka A, Tanabata T, Ohtake M, Fujioka S, Nakamura H, Ichikawa H, Mori M. 2012. SHORT GRAINSdecreases organ elongation and brassinosteroid response in rice. Plant Physiol 158:1208–1219
- Pignocchi C, Foyer CH. 2003. Apoplastic ascorbate metabolism and its role in the regulation of cell signaling, Curr. Opin. Plant Biol. 6; 379–389.
- Qi P, Lin Y S, Song X J, Shen J B, Huang W, Shan J X, Zhu M Z, Jiang L, Gao J P, Lin H X. 2012. The novel quantitative trait locus GL3.1controls rice grain size and yield by regulating Cyclin-T1;3. Cell Research, 22, 1666–1680
- Redona ED, Mackill DJ. 1998. Quantitative trait locus analysis for rice panicle and grain characterstics. Theor Appl Genet 96:957–963
- Shomura A, Izawa T, Ebana K, Ebitani T, Kanegae H, Konishi S, Yan, M. 2008. Deletion in a gene associated with grain size increased yields during rice domestication.Nat Genet 40: 1023-1028.
- Song X J, Huang W, Shi M, Zhu M Z, Lin H X. 2007. A QTL for rice grain width and weight encodes a previously unknown RING-type E3 ubiquitin ligase. Nature Genetics,39, 623–630
- Sun H, Qian Q, Wu K, Luo J, Wang S, Zhang C, Ma Y, Liu Q, Huang X, Yuan Q, Han R, Zhao M, Dong G, Guo L, Zhu X, Gou Z, Wang W, Wu Y, Lin H, Fu X. 2014. Heterotrimeric G proteins regulate nitrogen-use efficiency in rice. Nat Genet 46:652–656
- Sun XY, Wu K, Zhao Y, Kong FM, Han GZ, Jiang HM, Huang XJ, Li RJ, Wang HG, Li SS. 2009. QTL analysis of kernel shape and weight using recombinant inbred lines in wheat. Euphytica 165:615–624
- Suwannaporn P, Linnemann A. 2008. Rice-eating quality among consumer in different rice grain preference countries. J of Sensory Std 23:1–13
- Taguchi-Shiobara F, Kawagoe Y, Kato H, Onodera H, Tagiri A, Hara N, Miyao A, Hirochika H, Yano M, Toki S. 2011. A loss-of-function mutation of rice DENSE PANICLE 1causes semi-dwarfness and slightly increased number of spikelets. Breed Sci 61:17–25
- Takano-Kai N, Doi K, Yoshimura A. 2011. GS3 participates in stigma exsertion as well as seed length in rice. Breed Sci 61:244–250
- Takano-Kai N, Jiang H, Kubo T, Sweeney M, Matsumoto T, Kanamori H, Padhukasahasram B, Bustamante C, Yoshimura A, Dio K, McCouch S. 2009. Evolutionary history of GS3, a gene conferring grain length in rice. Genetics 182:1323–1334
- Tan YF, Xing YZ, Li JX, Yu SB, Xu CG, Zhang Q. 2000. Genetic bases of appearance of quality of rice grains in Shanyou 63, an elite rice hybrid. Theor Appl Genet 101:823–829
- Tanabe S, Kurinami S, Ashikari M, Kitano H, Iwasaki Y. 2007. Mapping of small and round seed 3 gene in rice. Rice Genet Newsl 23:56–58
- Terashima K, Saito Y, Sakai N, Watanabe T, Ogata T, Akita S. 2001. Effects of high air temperature in summer of 1999 on ripening and grain quality of rice. Jpn J Crop Sci 70:449–458
- Tokunaga T, Miyahara K, Tabata K, Esaka M. 2005. Generation and properties of ascorbic acid-overproducing transgenic tobacco cells expressing sense RNA forL-galactono-1,4-lactone dehydrogenase, Planta 220; 854–863
- Unnevehr L, Duff B, Juliano BO. 1992. Consumer Demand for Rice Grain Quality: Terminal Report of IDRC Projects, National Grain Quality (Asia), and International Grain Quality Economics (Asia): Int. Rice Res. Inst.
- Wan X, Weng J, Zhai H, Wang J, Lei C, Liu X, Guo T, Jiang L, Su N, Wan J. 2008. Quantitative trait loci (QTL) analysis for rice grain width and fine mapping of an identified QTL allelegw-5in a recombination hotspot region on chromosome 5. Genetics 179, 2239e2252.
- Wan XY, Wan JM, Jiang L, Wang JK, Zhai HQ, Weng JF, Wang HL, Lei CL, Wang JL, Zhang X, Cheng ZJ, Guo XP. 2006. QTL analysis for rice grain length and fine mapping of an identified QTL with stable and major effects. Theor. Appl. Genet. 112, 1258e1270.
- Wan XY, Wan JM, Weng JF, Jiang L, Bi JC, Wang CM, Zhai HQ. 2005. Stability of QTLs for rice grain dimension and endosperm chalkiness characteristics across eight environments. Theor Appl Genet 110:1334–1346
- Wang C, Chen S, Yu S. 2011. Functional markers developed from multiple loci in GS3for fine marker-assisted selection of grain length in rice. Theor Appl Genet 122:905–913
- Wang E, Wang J, Zhu X, Hao W, Wang L, Li Q, Zhang L, Lu B, Lin H, Ma H, Zhang G, He Z. 2008. Control of rice grain-filling and yield by a gene with a potential signature of domestication. Nat Genet 40:1370–1374
- Wang E, Xu X, Zhang L, Zhang H, Lin L, Wang Q, Li Q, Ge S, Wang W, He Z. 2010. Duplication and independent selection of cell wall invertase genes GIF1and OsCIN1during rice evolution and domestication. BMC Evol Biol 10:108
- Wang S, Wu K, Yuan Q, Liu X, Liu Z, Lin X, Zeng R, Zhu H, Dong G, Qian Q, Zhang G, Fu X. 2012. Control of grain size, shape and quality by OsSPL16 in rice. Nat Genet 44: 950-954.
- Wang S, Wu K, Yuan Q, Liu X, Liu Z, Lin X, Zeng R, Zhu H, Dong G, Zhang G, Fu X. 2012a. Control of grain size, shape and quality by OsSPL16in rice. Nat Genet 44:950–954
- Wang Y, Li H, Zhang L, Lü W, Wang J. 2012b. On the use of mathematically-derived traits in QTL mapping. Mol Breed 29:661–673
- Weng J, Gu S, Wan X, Gao H, Guo T, Su N, Lei C, Zhang X, Cheng Z, Guo X, Wang J, Jiang L, Zhai H, Wan J. 2008. Isolation and initial characterization of GW5, a major QTL associated with rice grain width and weight. Cell Res 18:1199–1209
- Xu JL, Yu SB, Luo LJ, Zhong DB, Mei HW, Li ZK. 2004. Molecular dissection of the primary sink size and its related traits in rice.Plant Breed 123:43–50
- Yan S, Zou G, Li S, Wang H, Liu H, Zhai G, Guo P, Song H, Yan C, Tao Y. 2011. Seed size is determined by the combinations of the genes controlling different seed characteristics in rice. Theor Appl Genet 123:1173–1181
- Yi X, Zhang Z, Zeng S, Tian C, Peng J, Li M, Lu Y, Meng Q, Gu M, Yan C. 2011. Introgression of qPE9-1allele, conferring the panicle erectness, leads to the decrease of grain yield per plant in japonica rice (Oryza sativaL.). J Genet Genomics 38:217–223
- Yoon DB, Kang KH, Kim HJ, Ju HG, Kwon SJ, Suh JP, Jeong OY, Ahn SN. 2006. Mapping quantitative trait loci for yield components and morphological traits in an advanced backcross population between Oryza grandiglumisand the O. sativa japonicacultivar Hwaseongbyeo. Theor. Appl. Genet. 112, 1052e1062.
- Yoshioka Y, Iwata H, Tabata M, Ninomiya S, Ohsawa S. 2007. Chalkiness in rice: potential for evaluation with image analysis, Crop Sci. 47; 2113–2120.
- Yu S, Li J, Xu C, Tan Y, Gao Y, Li X, Zhang Q, Maroof M. 1997. Importance of epistasis as the genetic basis of heterosis in an elite rice hybrid. Proc Natl Acad Sci 94:9226–9231
- Zhang X, Wang J, Huang J, Lan H, Wang C, Yin C, Wu Y, Tang H, Qian Q, Li J, Zhang H. 2012. Rare allele of OsPPKL1 associated with grain length causes extra-large grain and a significant yield increase in rice. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 109, 21534–21539.
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 3 | May-June 2016
Date of Publication : 2017-12-31
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 01-05
Manuscript Number : IJSRST1622121
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Hossein Nohtani, R. Amirifahliani, B.A. Fakheri, A. Masomiasl, "Identification QTLs and Effective Factors on Grain Appearance Quality in Rice", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 3, pp.01-05, May-June-2016
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST1622121