Home > Archives > IJSRST162219
Diagnosis and Repair of CNC Electromechanical Universal Testing Machine of a LR 5k Model
Authors(3) :-A. S. Olabisi, B. Kareem, I. Adetunde
The acute shortage and high cost of equipment and other machines in our research institution and environmental pollution have awakened the research efforts focused at diagnosing and repairing a faulty electromechanical universal testing machine. To ensure plant reliability and equipment availability the machine was tested, repair and diagnosed by condition-based monitoring maintenance procedure. The maintenance procedure is used to analyze the ensuing machinery faults, their causes and consequences. The results or data generate was used to carry out the repair action on the machine. The faults are enumerated and the general diagnosis procedure is explained. The results of the diagnosis were used to carry out repairs on the machine which makes the machine to be restored back to operation. The restored machine that was repaired is been used to perform pure tension test on metal rods. The machine provided information on strength properties of materials, being tested upon which Young Modulus were determined. Tension test was conducted, based on ASTM 143-63 standard, on Aluminium specimen with 9.5 mm diameter, Brass specimen with 3.5 mm and 3.71 mm diameter of Mild-Steel. The experimental Young Modulus from the test shown that Aluminium has 69.2 N/mm (0.12 % less than expected), while Mild-steel has 198.9 N/mm (0.1% less than expected) and Brass has 110 N/mm (0.27 % less than expected).
A. S. Olabisi, B. Kareem, I. Adetunde
Diagnosis, Repair, CNC Electromechanical, Universal Testing Machine, LR 5K Model, Diagnostic Process, Predictive maintenance (PdM) procedures, Aluminium
- Nandi, S., Toliyat, H. A.: Condition monitoring and fault diagnosis of electrical machines - a review; 35th IEEE-IAS Annual Meeting, 1999, vol. 1, pp. 197-204.
- Kastha, D.; Bose, B. K.: Investigation of Fault Modes of Voltage-Fed Inverter Systems for Induction Motor Drives; IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 30, No. 4, 1994, pp. 1028-1038.
- Peuget, Raphael; Courtine, Stéphane; Rognon, Jean- Pierre: Fault Detection and Isolation on a PWM Inverter by Knowledge-Based Model; IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 34, No. 6, 1998, pp. 1318 – 1325.
- Zhang, L.; Aris, I. B.; Hulley, L. N.: A Knowledge- Based System for On-Line Fault Diagnosis of Power Inverter Circuits for AC Machines; European Power Electronics Conference, Sevilla, 1995, pp. 3.334-3.339.
- Debebe, K.; Rajagopalan, V.; Sankar, T. S.: Expert Systems for Fault Diagnosis of VSI Fed Drives; IEEE Conference on Industry Applications, 1991, pp. 368- 373.
- Chrzan, P. J.; Szczesny, R.: Fault Diagnosis of Voltage- Fed Inverter for Induction Motor Drive; IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics ISIE, 1996, pp. 1011-1016.
- Peuget, R.; Courtine, S.; Rognon, J. P.: Fault Diagnosis in DC/DC Converters Using Fault Tree Analysis; IEEE Int. Symp. Diagnostics for Electrical Machines, Power Electronics and Drives, 1997, Carry-le Rouet, France, 1997, pp. 132-139.
- Lahyani, A.; Venet, P.; Grellet, G.,; Viverge, P.-J-: Failure Prediction of Electrolytic Capacitors During Operation of Switchmode Power Supply; IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, Vol. 13, No. 6, 1998, pp. 1199-1206.
- Thorsen, O.V.; Dalva, M.: A Survey of the Reliability with an Analysis of Faults on Variable Frequency Drives in the Industry; European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications, Sevilla, 1995, pp. 1.033- 1.038.
- Kral, C.; Kafka, K.: Power Electronics Monitoring for a Controlled Voltage Source Inverter Drive with Induction Machines; Proceedings IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference, 2000.
- Mendes, A. M. S.; Marques Cardoso A. J.: Fault Diagnosis in a Rectifier-Inverter System Used in Variable Speed AC Drives, by the Average Current Park´s Vector Approach; European Power Electronics Confrence, Lausanne, 1999, pp. 1-9.
- Ribeiro, R. L. A.; Jacobina, C. B.; da Silva, E. R. C.; Lima, A. M. N.: Fault Detection in Voltage-Fed PWM Motor Drive Systems, IEEE IAS Annual Meeting, 2000.
- Szczesny, R.; Piquet, H.; Kurzynski, P.: Fault Detection and Diagnosis in the Electric Drives; European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications, Trondheim, 1997, pp. 2.995-2.1000.
- Raison, Bertand; Rostaing, Gilles; Rognon, Jean-Pierre: Towards a Global Monitoring Scheme for Induction Motor Drives; International Power Electronics Conference, Tokio, 2000, pp. 1183-1188.
- Marques Cardoso, A. J.; Mendes, A. M. S.: On-Line Diagnostics of Three-Phase Diode Rectifiers, by Park´s Vector Approach; International Conference on Electrical Machines, 1996, pp. 433-438.
- Mendes, A. M. S.; Marques Cardoso A. J.: Fault Diagnosis in a Rectifier-Inverter System Used in Variable Speed AC Drives, by the Average Current Park´s Vector Approach; European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications, Lausanne, 1999, pp. 1-9.
- Strobl, Bernhard: A Diagnostic System for Asymmetries in Bridge Converters; Power Electronics and Motion Conference, Kosice, 2000, 2.160-2.164.
- Filippetti, F.; Franceschini, G.; Tassoni, C.: Integrated Diagnostic System for Failure Identification in Power Converters; European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications, Sevilla, 1995, pp. 3.270-3.274.
- Kastha, Debaprasad; Majumandar, Asim Kumar: An Improved Starting Strategy for Voltage-Source Inverter Fed Three Phase Induction Motor Drives Under Inverter Fault conditions; IEEE Trans. Power Electronics Vol. 15, No. 4, July 2000, pp. 726-732.
- Khasta, Debaprasad; Bose, Bimal K.: Fault Mode Single- Phase Operation of a Variable Frequency Induction Motor Drive and Improvement of Pulsating Torque Characteristics; IEEE Trans. Ind. Electronics, Vol. 41, No. 4, Aug. 1994, pp. 426-433.
- Venet, P.; Kahyani, A.; Grellt, G.; Ah-Jaco, A.: Influence of Aging on Electrolytic Capacitors Function in Static Converters: Fault Prediction Method; The European Physics, Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 5, 1999, pp. 71-83.
- Lahyani, A.; Venet, P.; Grellet, G.: Desgn of Processing System for State Diagnosis of Electrolytic Capacitors; EPE Journal Vol. 11, No. 1, February 2001, pp. 19-24.
- L.R. Higgins, ”Maintenance Engineering Handbook,” McGraw-Hill Book company, New York,USA,pp.22-35,1995
- J. M. Moubray,” Maintenance management: A New Paradigm, Strategic Technologies,” Inc., Aladon Ltd,UK,pp.7-11,2006
- E. A. Ogbonnaya, “Modelling Vibration-Basic Faults in Rotor Shaft of a Gas Turbine ,” PhD Thesis, Department of Marine Engineering, Rivers state University of Science and Technology, Port - Harcout, Nigeria, p.251,2004
- W.P.P. Ralph,”Maintenance Management and Control,” in Handbook of Industrial Engineering: Technology and Operation Management, 3rd Ed., Inc. New York, USA, pp. 1611-1615, 2001
- C. I. Ugechi,”Condition-Based Diagnostic Approach for Predicting the Maintenance Requirement of Machinery Engineering Journal 1, pp 177-187,2009
- Olagoke S.A (1999), Properties of materials, first edition Ibadan, S.A.O Multi ventures
- L.R. Higgins (1983), Engineering Metallurgy; Part 1: Applied Physical Metallurgy, Fifth Edition, London, Edward ARNOLD
- Ashby et al (1984), Engineering Materials, An Introduction to their Properties and Application, First Edition Oxford, Pergamon Press
- Callister(Jr) (1987), Materials Science and Engineering; An Introduction; Forth Edition, New York, John Wiley and Sons
- Beer and Johnson (1987), Mechanisms of Materials, S.I Metric Edition, Singapore McGraw-Hill Book co.
- Hajral Chondhury (1977), Material Science and Processes; Dehili, Indian book Distribution co.
- Dillamre,I.L (1972).Material Properties for Sheet Formability. Corporate Laboratory Report MG/16/72.British Steel Corporation, London
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 3 | May-June 2016
Date of Publication : 2017-12-31
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 19-29
Manuscript Number : IJSRST162219
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
A. S. Olabisi, B. Kareem, I. Adetunde, "Diagnosis and Repair of CNC Electromechanical Universal Testing Machine of a LR 5k Model", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 3, pp.19-29, May-June-2016.
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST162219