Home > Archives > IJSRST162246
Parameters and QTLs for Milling Quality in Rice : A Review
Authors(4) :-Musa Khammari, DA-Khammari, MO-Rezaei nia, MA-Mohammad Khani
Rice (Oryza sativaL.) is the most important staple food in the world, providing more than 21% of the calorific needs of the world population. Rice varieties can be grouped into several quality classes based on consumer preferences. These quality classes are based on physical properties (head rice recovery, chalkiness, grain size and shape, and grain color) and starch quality influencing cooking and organoleptic properties. Milling quality determines the final yield and the broken kernel rate of the milled rice, which is of concern for consumers and farmers. Three main parameters, brown rice recovery (the percentage of brown rice to rough rice), milled rice recovery (the percentage of milled rice to rough rice), and head rice recovery (the percentage of head rice to rough rice) are used to evaluate the quality and efficiency of the milling process. Milling quality, which is one kind of complex quantitative trait whose genetic control is poorly understood. However, many studies have been carried out to search quantitative trait locus (QTL) for the milling quality.
Musa Khammari, DA-Khammari, MO-Rezaei nia, MA-Mohammad Khani
Rice, Milling quality, Physical Properties , quantitative trait locus (QTL)
- Afzalinia S, Shaker M, Zare E. 2002. Comparison of different rice milling methods;27–8
- Aluko G, Martinez C, Tohme J, Castano C, Bergman C, Oard JH. 2004. QTL mapping of grain quality traits from the interspecific cross Oryza sativa × O. glaberrima. Theor Appl Genet 109:630–639.
- Bhattacharya KR, Ali SZ, Indudhara Swamy YM. 1971. Commercial drying of parboiled paddy with LSU dryers.Journal of Food Science and Technology, 8, 57±63.
- Bhattacharya KR, Indudhara Swamy YM. 1967. Conditions of drying parboiled paddy for optimum milling quality.Cereal Chemistry, 44, 592±600.
- Bhattacharya KR. 1985. Parboiling of rice. In B. O. Juliano,Rice: hemistry and echnology. St Paul, M, USA: American Association of Cereal Chemists.
- Boualaphanh C, Calingacion M, Cuevas RP, Jothityangkoon D, Sanitchon J, Fitzgerald M, Wei F, Tao H, Lin S, Bouman B. 2011. Yield and quality of traditional and improved Lao varieties of rice. Scienceasia 37, 89–97
- Brar DS, Khush GS. 2013. Biotechnological approaches for increasing productivity and sustainability of rice production. In: Bhullar, G.S., Bhullar, N.K. (Eds.), Agricultural Sustainability. Academic Press, San Diego, CA, pp. 151–175
- Calingacion MN, Laborte A, Nelson A, Resurreccion AP, Concepcion JCT, Daygon VD, Mumm R, Reinke R, Dipti SS, Bassinello PZ, Fitzgerald MA. 2014. Diversity of global rice markets and the science required for consumer-targeted rice breeding. PLoS One 9, e85106
- Champagne ET, Bett-Garber KL, Fitzgerald MA, Grimm CC, Lea J, Ohtsubo K, Jongdee S, Xie L, Bassinello PZ, Resurreccion A, Ahmad R, Habibi F, Reinke R. 2010. Important se nsory properties differentiating premium rice varieties.Rice 3, 270–281.
- Champagne ET, Wood DF, Juliano BO, Bechtel DB. 2004b. The rice grain and its gross composition. In: Champagne ET (ed) Rice chemistry and technology. American Association of Cereal Chemists Inc, Minneapolis, pp 77–107
- Czechowska-Biskup R, Rokita B, Lotfy S, Ulanski P, and Rosiak J. 2005. Degradation of chitosan and starch by 360-kHz ultrasound. Carbohydrate Polymers, 60, 175–184.
- Dong Y, Tsuzuki E, Lin D, Kamiunten H, Terao H, Matsuo M, Cheng S. 2004. Molecular genetic mapping of quantitative trait loci for milling quality in rice (Oryza sativa L.) J Cereal Sci 40: 109-114.
- Foegeding EA, Davis JP. 2011. Food protein functionality: a comprehensive approach. Food Hydrocoll 25:1853–1864
- Han JA, Lim ST. 2009. Effect of textural, thermal, and digestive properties of cooked brown rice. Cereal Chemistry, 86, 100–105
- Iida Y, Tuziuti T, Yasui K, Towata A, Kozuka T. 2008. Control of viscosity in starch and polysaccharide solutions with ultrasound after gelatinization. Innovative Food Science and Emerging Technologies, 9, 140–146.
- Inthapanya P, Boualaphanh C, Hatsadong Schiller JM. 2006. The history of lowland rice variety improvements in Laos. In: Schiller, J.M., Chanphengxay, M.B., Linquist, B., Rao, S.A. (Eds.), Rice in Laos. International Rice Research Institute, Manila, pp. 325–358
- Jambrak AR, Herceg Z, Subaric D, Babic J, Brncic M, Brncic SR. 2010. Ultrasound effect on physical properties of corn starch. Carbohydrate Polymers,79, 91–100
- Jiang GH, Hong XY, Xu CG, Li XH, He YQ. 2005. Identification of quantitative trait loci for grain appearance and milling quality using a doubled-haploid rice population. J Integr Plant Biol 47: 1391-1403.
- Juliano BO, Villareal CP. 1993. Grain quality evaluation of world rices. International Rice Research Institute, Los Banos
- Juliano BO. 1979. The chemical basis of rice grain quality. Workshop on chemical aspects of rice grain quality. International Rice Research Institute, Los Banos
- Juliano BO. 2001. Asian perspective on rice sensory quality. Cereal Foods World 46:531–535
- Juliano BO. 2010. Grain quality of Philippine rice. Philippine Rice Research Institute.
- Knorr D, Zenker M, Heinz V, and Lee D. 2004. Applications and potential of ultrasound in food processing. Trends in Food Science and Technology, 15,261–266
- Li J, Xiao J, Grandillo S, Jiang L, Wang Y, Deng Q, Yuan L, McCouch SR. 2004a. QTL detection for rice grain quality traits using an interspecific backcross population derived from cultivated Asian (O. sativaL.) and African (O. glaberrimaS.) rice. Genome 47: 697-704.
- Li YB, Cao CW, Yu QL, Zhong QX. 1999. Study on rough rice fissuring during intermittent drying. Drying Technology, 17(9),1779–1793.
- Lisle AJ,Martin MA,Fitzgrald MA. 2000. Chalky and translucent rice grains differ in starch composition cooking properties,creal chem. 77,627-632.
- Lou J, Chen L, Yue G, Lou Q, Mei H, Xiong L, Luo L. 2009 QTL mapping of grain quality traits in rice. J Cereal Sci 50:145–151.
- Lyon BG, Champagne ET, Vinyard BT, Windham WR, Barton FE, Webb BD. 1999. Effects of degree of milling, drying condition, and final moisture content on sensory texture of cooked rice. Cereal Chemistry;76:56–62
- Mackill D, Collard B, Neeraja C, Rodriguez R, Heuer S, Ismail A. 2006. QTLs in rice breeding: examples for abiotic stresses. In: Rice Genetics 5: Proceedings of the International Rice Genetics Symposium. International Rice Research Institute, Manila, pp. 155–167
- McClements DJ. 1995. Advances in the application of ultrasound in food analysis processing. Trends in Food Science and Technology, 6, 293–299
- Nelson JC, Mcclung AM, Fjellstrom RG, Moldenhauer KAK, Boza E, Jodari F, Oard JH, Linscombe S, Scheffler BE, Yeater KM. 2011. Mapping QTL main and interaction influences on milling quality in elite US rice germplasm Theor Appl Genet 122:291-309.
- Pandey MK, Rani NS, Madhav MS, Sundaram R, Varaprasad GS, Sivaranjani AKP, Bohra A, Kumar GR, Kumar A. 2012. Different isoforms of starch synthesizing enzymes controlling amylose and amylopectin content in rice (Oryza sativaL.). Biotechnol Adv 30:1697–1706
- Patnaik A, Roy PS, Rao GL, Patnaik SS, Sharma G. 2015. Genetic enhancement of Dubraj, a specialty rice through pedigree approach employing marker based selection for plant stature, aroma and grain quality. Euphytica, 205:659–669
- Piggot JR, Morrison WR, Clyne J. 1991. Changes in lipids and sensory attributes on storage of milled rice milled to different degrees. International Journal of Food Science and Technology, 26, 615–627.
- Septiningsih EM, Trijatmiko KR, Moeljopawiro S, McCouch SR. 2003. Identification of quantitative trait loci for grain quality in an advanced backcross population derived from the Oryza sativa variety IR64 and the wild relative O. rufipogon. Theor Appl Genet 107: 1433–1441.
- Siebenmorgen TJ, Grigg BC, Lanning SB. 2013. Impacts of preharvest factors during kernel development on rice quality and functionality. Annu Rev Food Sci Technol 4:101–115
- Singh RK, Singh US, Khush GS. 2000. Aromatic rices. Oxford & IBH Publishing Co. Pvt Ltd., New Delhi, India.
- Son JS, Do VB, Kim KO, Cho MS, Suwonsichon T, Valentin D. 2014. Understanding the effect of culture on food representations using word associations: the case of “rice” and “good rice”. Food Qual Prefer 31:38–48
- Sreenivasulu N, Butardo VM Jr, Misra G, Cuevas RP, Anacleto R, Kavi Kishor PB 2015. Designing climate-resilient rice with ideal grain quality suited for high-temperature stress. J Exp Bot 66:1737–1748
- Tan YF, Sun M, Xing YZ, Hua JP, Sun XL, Zhang QF, Corke H. 2001. Mapping quantitative trait loci for milling quality, protein content and color characteristics of rice using a recombinant inbred line population derived from an elite rice hybrid. Theor Appl Genet 103: 1037-1045.
- Tan YF, Xing YZ, Li JX, Yu SB, Xu CG, Zhang Q. 2000. Genetic bases of appearance quality of rice grains in Shanyou 63, an elite rice hybrid. TAG Theoretical and applied genetics Theoretische und angewandte Genetik. 101(5–6):823–9.
- Tomita M, 2009. Introgression of Green Revolution sd1 gene into isogenic genome of rice super cultivar Koshihikari to create novel semidwarf cultivar ‘Hikarishinseiki’ (Koshihikari-sd1). Field Crop. Res. 114, 173–181.
- Unnevehr L, Duff B, Juliano BO. 1992. Consumer Demand for Rice Grain Quality: Terminal Report of IDRC Projects, National Grain Quality (Asia), and International Grain Quality Economics (Asia): Int. Rice Res. Inst.
- Webb B. 1991. Rice quality grades. Rice Utilization ;2:89–116.
- Zhao X, Zhou L, Ponce K, Ye G. 2015. The Usefulness of Known Genes/Qtls for Grain Quality Traits in an Indica Population of Diverse Breeding Lines Tested using Association Analysis. Rice. ;8(1).
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 2 | March-April 2016
Date of Publication : 2016-04-08
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 145-149
Manuscript Number : IJSRST162246
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Musa Khammari, DA-Khammari, MO-Rezaei nia, MA-Mohammad Khani, "Parameters and QTLs for Milling Quality in Rice : A Review", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 2, pp.145-149, March-April-2016
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST162246