Home > Archives > IJSRST16226
Development of Poly-Lactic-Acid (PLA) Composite Films Filled with Aerosil / Wollastonite on Characterization
Authors(10) :-M.Harikrishna, P. Narasimhulu, J. Ramu, P. Shaikshavli, V. Hari Prasad, K. Raja Sekhar , M. Ashok Kumar, M. Venkateswarlu, P. Sagar, B. Venkataramana
This research presents on the two different fillers composites filled with aerosil and wollastonite fibers respectively were dispersed on to the Polylactic acid (PLA). Two different systems were prepared such as system-1(i.e. PLA + aerosil) and system-2 (i.e. PLA + wollastonite). In this connection synthesis of polylactic acid solution and development of composites were prepared with aerosil as filler. Tensile strength and modulus were examined with the help of Instron Universal Testing Machine. Using hand layup technique was used to prepare the composite. Glass moulds are used for casting purpose. Tensile strength and tensile modulus and chemical resistance were measured for the above mentioned two different systems. PLA composite film thick was increased from 1-1.5mm for all the composites. Aerosil and wollastonite filler ratios were considered as 0.1, 0.2, 0.25, and 0.3 wt.% respectively for both the systems. Among two systems system-2 got significantly good performance than the system-1. And also weight of the system-1 is lesser than that of the system-2 as aerosil has high specific volume when compared with wollastonite filler.
M.Harikrishna, P. Narasimhulu, J. Ramu, P. Shaikshavli, V. Hari Prasad, K. Raja Sekhar , M. Ashok Kumar, M. Venkateswarlu, P. Sagar, B. Venkataramana
PLA, Aerosil, Wollastonite, Tensile Strength, Tensile Modulus, Chemical Resistance
- Ashok Kumar M., Hemachandra Reddy K., Mohana Reddy Y.V., Ramachandra Reddy G.,Venkata Naidu S.: Improvement of tensile and flexural properties in epoxy/clay nanocomposites reinforced with weave glass fiber reel, International Journal of Polymeric Materials,59, 2010, 854–862.
- M.Ashok Kumar, G.Ramachandra Reddy, K.V.P.Chakradhar, Hydrophilic Fumed Silica/Clay Nanocomposites: Effect of Silica/Clay on Performance, International J of Nanomaterials and Biostructures, 2011, 1(1):1-11.
- M.Ashok Kumar, G.Ramachandra Reddy, T. Hemanth Babu, C. Sai Chaitanya Kishore, T.Surya Narayana Reddy, Mohammad Ashfaq, B.Ravi Kumar, Tensile and Thermal Properties of Polymer Coatings Effect on Surghum vaigaris stalk fiber, International J Macromolecular Science, 2012, 2(1)4:1-4.
- Tsuji, H.; Echizen, Y.; Nishimura, Y. Photodegradation of biodegradable polyesters:A comprehensive study on poly(L-lactide) and poly(ε-caprolactone). Polym. Degrad. Stab. 2006,91, 1128–1137.
- Corti, A.; Solaro, R.; Chiellini, E. Biodegradation of poly(vinyl alcohol) in selected mixed microbial culture and relevant culture filtrate. Polym. Degrad. Stab. 2002, 75, 447–458.
- Han, X.; Pan, J. Polymer chain scission, oligomer production. Acta Biomater. 2011, 7, 538–547.
- Nieddu, E.; Mazzucco, L.; Gentile, P.; Benko, T.; Balbo, V.; Mandrile, R.; Ciardelli, G. Preparation and biodegradation of clay composites of PLA. React. Funct. Polym. 2009, 69, 371–379.
- Lee, T.; Rasak, A.; Wan, A. Polylactid Acid Handbook, 1st ed.; Elsevier: New York, NY, USA, 2013.
- Ho, C.; Wang, C.; Lin, C.; Lee, Y. Synthesis and characterization of PO–PLA copolymer and its behavior as compatibilizer for PLA/TPO blends. J. Polym. 2008, 49, 3902–3910.
- Conn, R.; Kolstad, J.; Borzelleca, J.; Dixler, D.; Filer, L., Jr.; LaDu, B.; Pariza, M. Safety assessment of polylactide (PLA) for use as a food-contact polymer. Food Chem Toxic. 1996, 4,273–283.
- Duncan, T. Applications of nanotechnology in food packaging and food safety: Barrier materials,antimicrobials and sensors. J. Colloid Interface Sci. 2011, 363, 1–24.
- Mróz, P.; Białas, S.; Mucha, M.; Kaczmarek, H. Thermogravimetric and DSC testing of poly (lactic acid) nanocomposites. Thermochim. Acta 2013, 573, 186–192.
- Luo, Z.; Koo, J. Quantification of the layer dispersion degree in polymer layered silicate nanocomposites by transmission electron microscopy. J. Polym. 2008, 49, 1841–1852.
- Prasun, K.; Hakkarainen, M.; Albertsson, A. Nanoclay effects on the degradation process and product patterns of polylactide. Polym. Degrad. Stab. 2012, 97, 1254–1260.
- Raquez, J.; Habibi, Y.; Murariu, M.; Dubois, P. Polylactide (PLA)-based nanocomposites. Progress Polym. Sci. 2013, 38, 1504–1542.
- Najafi, N.; Heuzey, M.; Carreau, P. Polylactide (PLA)-clay nanocomposites prepared by melt compounding in the presence of a chain extender. Compos. Sci. Technol. 2011, 72, 608–615.
- Lucas, N.; Bienaime, C.; Belloy, C.; Queneudec, M.; Silvestre, F.; Nava, J. Polymer biodegradation: Mechanisms and estimation techniques. Chemosphere 2008, 73, 429–442.
- Zaidi, L.; Kaci, M.; Bruzaud, S.; Bourmaud, A.; Grohens, Y. Effect of natural weather on the structure and properties of polylactide/Cloisite 30B nanocomposites. Polym. Degrad. Stab. 2010, 95, 1751–1758.
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 2 | March-April 2016
Date of Publication : 2016-03-25
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 09-14
Manuscript Number : IJSRST16226
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
M.Harikrishna, P. Narasimhulu, J. Ramu, P. Shaikshavli, V. Hari Prasad, K. Raja Sekhar , M. Ashok Kumar, M. Venkateswarlu, P. Sagar, B. Venkataramana, "Development of Poly-Lactic-Acid (PLA) Composite Films Filled with Aerosil / Wollastonite on Characterization", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 2, pp.09-14, March-April-2016.
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST16226