Home > Archives > IJSRST162312
Mapping and Reclamation of Wastelands in Yelanduru Taluk of Chamarajanagara District, Karnataka, India Using Geo-Informatics Technique
Authors(3) :-Basavarajappa H. T, Pushpavathi K. N, Manjunatha M. C
Wastelands mapping and its reclamation analyses has been applied on Yelanduru taluk in Southern tip of Karnataka using high-tech tools of geoinformatics. With the increasing population the natural resources like forest, agricultural land etc., have been devastated and degraded to a great extent. Unscientific handling of land resources in a region causes ecological imbalance & vast stretches of wastelands. The present study aims to propose appropriate management strategies to reclaim the wastelands in the study area. Efforts have been made to evaluate the unutilized lands using Survey of India (SoI) topomap of 1:50,000 scale, IRS-1D PAN+LISS-III satellite and Google Earth images through GIS software’s with limited Ground Truth Check (GTC). This reveals the spatial baseline information in distribution, extent and temporal behavior of each wasteland categories for better planning and developmental reclamation strategies. Major identifiable wasteland categories are barren rocky; land with scrub; mining wasteland and salt affected area. The final result specifies each wasteland categories in the study area using geoinformatics technique considering the environmental, biophysical and socio-economic factors.
Basavarajappa H. T, Pushpavathi K. N, Manjunatha M. C
Reclamation; Wasteland; Yelanduru; Geo-Informatics.
- Basavarajappa H.T (1992). Petrology, geochemistry and fluid inclusions studies of charnockites and associated rocks around Biligirirangan hills, Karnataka, India, Unpub Ph.D thesis., Univ. of Mysore., Pp: 1-96.
- Basavarajappa H.T and Srikantappa C (1998). Metamorphic evolution of Biligiri-Rangan Granulites (BRG), Karnataka, India, Journal of The Indian Mineralogist, MSI, Vol.32, No.1, Pp: 54.
- Basavarajappa H.T and Srikantappa C (1999). Retrograde charnockite-gneiss relations in the Kollegal shear zone, Karnataka, India, Journal of The Indian Mineralogist, Vol.33, No.2, Pp: 70-80.
- Basavarajappa H.T and Dinakar S (2005). Land use/land cover studies around Kollegal, Chamarajanagar district, using Remote Sensing and GIS techniques, Journal of The Indian Mineralogist, Special Vol.1, Pp: 89-94.
- Basavarajappa H.T, Pushpavathi K.N, Manjunatha M.C, Satish M.V, Dinakar S and Balasubramanian A (2012). Mapping and integration of Geology, geomorphological landforms of Yelandur taluk, Chamarajanagara district, Karnataka, using Remote Sensing and GIS., Journal of Environmental Geochemistry, Vol.15, No.2, Pp: 37-41.
- Basavarajappa H.T and Srikantappa C (2014). Precambrian Deep Crustal Metamorphism and fluid regime in Biligiri-Rangan Granulites, Dharwar Craton, India, Journal of The Indian Mineralogist, Vol.48, No.2, Sri.C. Srikantappa Vol., Pp: 289-338.
- Basavarajappa H.T, Manjunatha M.C and Pushpavathi K.N (2015a). Mapping and Reclamation of wastelands through Geomatics technique in Precambrian terrain of Mysuru district, Karnataka, India., International Journal of Civil and Structural Engineering (IJCSE), Vol.5, No.4, Pp: 379-391.
- Basavarajappa H.T, Pushpavathi K.N and Manjunatha M.C (2015b). Demarcation and reclamation strategies of wastelands in Precambrian terrain of Gundlupete taluk, Chamarajanagara district, Karnataka, using Geomatics application., International Journal of Geomatics and Geosciences, Vol.6, No.1, Pp: 285-294.
- Basavarajappa H.T, Jeevan L, Manjunatha M.C and Mahamad Ali M., (2015c). Suitable waste disposal sites selection for Tumakuru city, Karnataka, India using Geomatics applications, International Journal of Civil Engineering and Technology (IJCIET), Vol.6, Issue.6, Pp: 133-146.
- CGWB., (2008). Central Ground Water Board, Groundwater information booklet, Chamarajanagar district, Karnataka, South Western region, Bangalore.
- Dinakar S (2005). Geological, geomorphology and land use/land cover studies using Remote Sensing and GIS around Kollegal Shear Zone, South India, Unpub PhD thesis, Univ. of Mysore, Pp: 1-191.
- GSI (1981). Geological and Mineral map of Karnataka, Geological Survey of India.
- Hoeschele, (2003). Intra-Governmental communication and the application of GIS to improve wastelands in India., ARID Land, No.53.
- Manjunatha M.C, Basavarajappa H.T and Jeevan L (2015). Geomatics analysis on land use/ land cover classification system in Precambrian terrain of Chitradurga district, Karnataka, India., International Journal of Civil Engineering and Technology (IJCIET)., Vol.6, Issue.2, Pp: 46-60.
- Meenakshi K (2003). Petrology, Geochemistry and Fluid inclusion Studies in Kollegal Shear Zone (KSZ), and Migmatitic Gneisses around Chamarajanagar, Karnataka, India, Unpub., PhD thesis, Univ. of Mysore, Pp: 1-191.
- Miller V C (1953), A quantitative geomorphic study of drainage basin characteristics in the Clinch Mountain area, Virginia and Tennessee, project NR 389-042, Tech. Rept.3, Columbia University, Department of Geology, ONR, Geography Branch, New York.
- NRSA (1987), Manual of procedure for wasteland mapping using remote sensing techniques, National Remote Sensing Agency, Hyderabad.
- Pushpavathi K.N and Basavarajappa H.T (2009). Remote Sensing and GIS applications for Wasteland identification - a case study in Kollegal taluk, Chamarajanagar district, Karnataka, India, Journal of Environmental Geochemistry, Vol.12, No.1 & 2, Pp: 13-18.
- Pushpavathi K.N (2010). Integrated, geomorphological study using Remote Sensing and GIS for development of wastelands in Chamarajanagara district, Karnataka, India, Unpub PhD thesis, Univ. of Mysore, Pp: 1-190.
- Satish M.V (2002). Geomorphological impacts of tectonic movements in and around Biligiri-Rangan hill ranges, Karnataka, India, Unpub., PhD thesis, Univ. of Mysore, Pp: 1-83.
- Satish M.V, Dinakar S and Basavarajappa H.T (2008). Quantitative morphometric analysis of sub-watersheds in and around Yelandur Taluk, Chamarajanagar District, using GIS, Remote Sensing and GIS Applications, Edited Vol.01, No.1, Pp:156-164.
- Srikantappa. C and Basavarajappa, H.T (1997). Regional high grade metamorphism of 3.4 Ga Biligirirangan Granulites in the Dharwar Craton, India, Gondwana Research. Vol.8, Pp: 92-93.
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 3 | May-June 2016
Date of Publication : 2017-12-31
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 91-96
Manuscript Number : IJSRST162312
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Basavarajappa H. T, Pushpavathi K. N, Manjunatha M. C, "Mapping and Reclamation of Wastelands in Yelanduru Taluk of Chamarajanagara District, Karnataka, India Using Geo-Informatics Technique", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 3, pp.91-96, May-June-2016
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST162312