Home > Archives > IJSRST162325
Design and Implementation of a System for Automatic Translation of IGALA to English Language
Authors(3) :-Sani Felix Ayegba, Musa Ugbedeojo, Negedu Philip
Languages apart from being a tool of communication are vehicles of value systems and cultural expression and are essential component of the living heritage of humanity. Some languages are currently in danger because its speakers have almost ceased to use it and also ceased to pass it on from one generation to the next. The shift to language of wider communication which is English language in Nigeria has resulted in most children of the Igala race being unable to speak Igala language, a situation which greatly hampers intergenerational transmission that is the means by which a language and culture is preserved. This situation has put Igala language in danger. The aim of this research is develop a language processor that can accept as input text in Igala language and automatically translate same to English language. The system was implemented with PHP running on Apache Webserver connected to MySQL database as a backend. The output of the system was tested on 250 randomly selected Igala texts using human method for evaluating Machine Translation system. An accuracy of 81.2% was obtained.
Sani Felix Ayegba, Musa Ugbedeojo, Negedu Philip
Language, Machine Translation System, Language of Wider Communication
- Abdessalam Benabdelali, (2006). Fi Attarjama In translation], (first edition). Casablanca: Dar Toubkal, p. 13.
- Arnold, D, etal (1994) Machine Translation: An Introductory Guide, NCC Blackwell, London, ISBN: 1855542-17x.
- Bar-Hillel Y. (1964) Languages and information Reading, Mass: Addison-Wesley. Pp 74-79.
- Eric W. Wamalwa, Stephen B. J. Oluoch Language Endangerment and Language Maintenance: Can Endangered Indigenous Languages of Kenya Be Electronically Preserved? International Journal of Humanities and Social Science Vol. 3 No. 7; April 2013 pp. 258-266
- Marian Flanagan (2009) Recycling Texts: Human Evaluation ofExample-Based Machine Translation Subtitles for DVD. PhD Thesis. Dublin City University.
- Mike, Dillinger, Arle Lommel (2004) LISA Best Practice Guide: Implementing Machine Translation, available at www.translationoptimization.com/papers/DillingerLommel_MT_BPG.pdf, retrived on 14th April, 2014.
- Omachonu G.S, Igala Language Studies and Development: Progress, Issues and Challenges, Text of a paper presented at the 12th Igala Education Summit held at Kogi State University, Anyigba Kogi State, Nigeria. 28th -29th Dec. 2012.
- Steven Bird, David Chiang Machine translation for language preservation Proceedings of COLING 2012: pp 125–134, COLING 2012, Mumbai, December 2012.
- UNESCO (2003) Language Vitality and Endangerment, Ad Hoc Expert Group on Endangered Languages, UNESCO, Paris http://www.unesco.org/culture/ich/doc/src/00120-EN.pdf.
- Xavier G. Survey of Machine Translation Evaluation, Universitat des. Saarlandes, Computer linguistik, Germany; 2007
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 3 | May-June 2016
Date of Publication : 2017-12-31
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 212-216
Manuscript Number : IJSRST162325
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Sani Felix Ayegba, Musa Ugbedeojo, Negedu Philip, "Design and Implementation of a System for Automatic Translation of IGALA to English Language", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 3, pp.212-216, May-June-2016.
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST162325