Home > Archives > IJSRST162328
The Impact of MGNREGA on Household Nutritional Security - An Economic Analysis in Tamil Nadu
Authors(3) :-T. Sivasakthi Devi, R. Balasubramanian, B. Ganesh Kumar
Mahathma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS) is one of the major rural development programmes, which is being implemented in our country since 2006. It has been providing the steady income to the rural households, especially marginal, small famers and agricultural labour, especially during the lean season in agriculture. This paper has attempted to find out the household income, consumption expenditure on food and non-food items and calorie acquisition of the participants and non-participants of NREGS in Tamil Nadu. Further, it has measured the household nutritional security of the rural households and the results revealed that NREGS participants covered more than 85 per cent of the requirement of the average recommended calories per capita per day than NREGS non-participants (76 per cent). Hence, the NREGS participants consumed more calories due to relatively higher purchasing power. This development is due to availability of guaranteed employment and regular wages through NREGS to the rural households.
T. Sivasakthi Devi, R. Balasubramanian, B. Ganesh Kumar
MGNREA, Household,Nutritional security
- Adhiguru, P. and C. Ramasamy (2003), “Agricultural based Interventions for Sustainable Nutritional Security”, National Centre for Agricultural Economics and Policy Research (NCAP), Policy Paper, New Delhi.
- Bamji, M S., P.V.V.S. Murthy, L. Williams, M. V. V. Rao (2008), “Maternal Nutritional Status & Practices & Prenatal, Neonatal Mortality in Rural Andhra Pradesh”, Indian J. Med. Res. Vol. 127, pp. 44-51.
- Bickel, G., M. Nord, P. Price, W. Hamilton and J. Cook (2000), “Guide to Measuring Household Food Security”, Food and Nutrition Service, USDA.
- Carlson, S.J., M.S. Andrews and G.W. Bickel (1999), “Measuring Food Insecurity and Hunger in the United States: Development of a National Benchmark Measure and Prevalence Estimates”, Journal of Nutrition, Vol. 129, pp. S510–S516.
- Chakraborty, P. (2007), “Implementation of Employment Guarantee: A Primary Appraisal”, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 42, No.7, pp. 548-551..
- Food and Agricultural Organization (2003), “WTO Agreement on Agriculture: The Implementation Experience-developing country studies: India”, Commodity Policy and Projections Service, Commodity and Trade Division, FAO, Rome.
- Food and Agricultural Organization (2009), “Food Price Fluctuations, Policies and Rural Development in Europe and Central Asia”. In: Proceedings of the FAO-UNDP Europe and Central Asia Regional Consultation, Rome, 5-6 December 2008.Rome, Italy.
- Jha, R., R. Gaiha and S. Shankar (2008), “Reviewing the National Rural Employment Guarantee Programme”, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 43, No. 11, pp. 44-48.
- Reddy, V., M. Shekhar, P. Rao, and S. Gillispie (1992), “Nutrition in India”, UN ACC/SCN Country Case Study Prepared for the 15th International Congress of Nutrition, Australia.
- SSubbarao, K. (2003), “Systemic Shocks and Social Protection: Role and Effectiveness of Public Works Programme”, Social Protection Discussion Paper Series No. 0302, The World Bank, pp. 1-35.
- UNICEF (2006) “Annual Report”. pp.46
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 3 | May-June 2016
Date of Publication : 2017-12-31
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 187-192
Manuscript Number : IJSRST162328
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
T. Sivasakthi Devi, R. Balasubramanian, B. Ganesh Kumar, "The Impact of MGNREGA on Household Nutritional Security - An Economic Analysis in Tamil Nadu", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 3, pp.187-192, May-June-2016
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST162328