Home > Archives > IJSRST162334
Physico-chemical, Phytochemical and Spectroscopic Characteristics of Aqueous and Methanolic Extracts of Laportea interrupta L. Chew Leaf.
Authors(5) :-Thamizh Selvam N, Surabhi KR, Vasantha Kumar KG, Deep VC, Acharya MV
Human life is depending on plants for various needs including for food and medicine. The indigenous medicine system of every country is using plant and plant products as their basic material for preparation of medicine. Laportea interrupta L. Chew commonly known as ‘stinging nettle’ is one of the ethnomedicinal plants of India claimed for various medicinal uses like anti-inflammatory, anti-pyretic and antimicrobial agent. However, the plant has not been much explored for its chemical characteristics. The present study has carried out detailed Physico-chemical, Phytochemical and Spectroscopic Characteristics of aqueous and methanolic extracts of Laportea interrupta L. Leaf. Phytochemical study showed the presence of flavonoids, glycosides, saponins and alkaloids. The spectroscopic studies showed the presence of various group of compounds flavonoids, xanthophylls, phycobilins in methanol and aqueous extract predominantly. These study parameters will be highly helpful to take up the new studies on various aspects of its biological activity.
Thamizh Selvam N, Surabhi KR, Vasantha Kumar KG, Deep VC, Acharya MV
Laportea interrupta L., stinging nettle, phytochemical studies, spectroscopic
- Shih BL, Yang YP, Liu HY, Lu SY. Notes on Urticaceae of Taiwan. Bot. Bull. Acad. Sin. 1995; 36: 155-168.
- http://theplantlist.org/tpl/record/tro-33400305. Chew in Gard. Bull. Singapore 1965; 21:200.
- Van Rheede’s Hortus Malabaricus. English Edition. With Annotations and Modern Botanica Nomenclature by Manilal KS. Volume 23. University of Kerala Publication. 2003: 139-141.
- Whistler WA. Guide to the most commonly used Medicinal Plants of Samoa. Technical Report 50. The American Samoa community College, Land Grant Program. 1999. Page 36.
- Guzman JAS, Beltran RJL, Rubio R, Ramos GB. Potential of pre-gestational intake of Laportea interrupta L. (Stinging nettle) leaf decoction as an aid for foetal – maternal health. Asian Pacific Journal of Reproduction. 2015; 4(2): 85-90.
- Baytop T. Therapy with Medicinal Plants in Turkey, Istanbul University Press. 1984; No. 40. Istanbul.
- Alshuwayeb MH, Al-Khatib AJ. Molecular and Chemical therapeutic features of Urtica Species. European Scientific Journal. 2013; 9 (24): 253-261.
- Krishna C, Sajeesh T, Parimelazhagan T. Evaluation of nutraceutical properties of Laportea interrupta (L.) Chew. Food Sci Biotechnol. 2014; 23 (2): 577-585.
- Suhas SN, Vilas DV. Pharmacognostic evaluation of dried leaf powder of Cardiospermum halicacabum Linn and dried seed hull powder of Hydnocarpus petandra (Buch.ham) Oken. International Journal of Res Ayurveda Pharm. 2014; 5(4): 502-507
- Pratap GP, Sudarsanam G, Jyothi B, Prasad GP and Rasheed NMA. Pharmacognostical and analytical studies of leaves of Cardiospermum canescens wall. International Journal of phytomedicine. 2012;4: 386-394
- Rao KNV, Geetha K, Alagar RM, Banji D. Quality control study and standardization of Hibiscus rosa-sinensis flowers and leaves as per WHO guidelines. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2014; 3(4): 29-37
- Soni D, Gupta A, Solanki R, Jana GK. Pharmacognostical, phytochemical and physico-chemical findings over the root extract of Hibiscus rosa-sinesis Malvaceae]. J. Nat. Prod. Plant Resour. 2011, 1 (4): 73-79
- Protocol for testing Ayurvedic, Siddha and Unani medicines, Dr. D.R. Lohar. Govt of India, Dept of Ayush, Pharmacopoeial Laboratory of Indian Medicines, 2007.
- Reddy MN and Mishra GJ. Preliminary Phytochemical screening and Antibacterial analysis of the leaf extracts of Launaea procumbens Roxb. International Journal of Phytopharmacology. 2012; 3(2): 147-151.
- Kavit M, Patel BN and Jain BK. Phytochemical analysis of leaf extract of Phyllanthus fraternus. Research Journal of Recent Sciences. 2013;Vol 2: 12-15
- Vinoth B and Manivasagaperumal R. Phytochemical analysis and antibacterial activity of Cardiospermum halicacabum Linn. International Journal of Current Science and Technology.2013; Vol2: 009-012
- Tiwari P, Kumar B, Kaur M, Kaur G, Kaur H. Phytochemical Screening and Extraction: A Review. Internationale Pharmaceutica Sciencia. 2011; 1 (1): 98-106
- Medicinal plants & Traditional medicine in Africa; Sofowara A, John Wiley & Sons; 1982.
- Moses A, Bernard S, Oriko OR, Edward A. Preliminary Qualitative Analysis of Phytochemical Constituents of the Endemic Aloe tororoana Raynolds in Tororo, Eastern Uganda. Global Advanced Research Journal of Agricultural Science. 2014; Vol. 3(3) pp: 096-099
- Anand T, Gokulakrishnan K. Phytochemical Analysis of Hybanthus enneaspermus using UV, FTIR and GC- MS. IOSR Journal of Pharmacy May-June, 2012;Vol. 2, Issue 3: PP:520-524
- Santhanakrishnan D, Shankar SN and Chandrasekaran B. Studies on the phytochemistry, spectroscopic characterization and antibacterial efficacy of salicornia brachiata. International journal of pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences. 2014; Vol 6:430-432
- Janakiraman N, Sathish S, Johnson M. UV-Vis and FTIR Spectroscopic studies on Peristrophe bicalyculata (Retz) nees. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. 2011; Vol 4, Issue 4: 125-129
- Sathish S , Janakiraman N , Johnson M. Phytochemical Analysis of Vitex altissima L. using UV-VIS, FTIR and GC-MS. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Drug Research. 2012; 4(1): 56-62.
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 3 | May-June 2016
Date of Publication : 2017-12-31
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 309-314
Manuscript Number : IJSRST162334
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Thamizh Selvam N, Surabhi KR, Vasantha Kumar KG, Deep VC, Acharya MV, "Physico-chemical, Phytochemical and Spectroscopic Characteristics of Aqueous and Methanolic Extracts of Laportea interrupta
L. Chew Leaf.", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 3, pp.309-314, May-June-2016
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST162334