Home > Archives > IJSRST162346
Corrosion behaviour of low carbon steel in acidic and acidic-chloride solutions
Authors(2) :-Olaseinde O. A, Adewuyi B. O
An investigation of the corrosion behaviour of low carbon steel in 0.5M sulphuric acid, 1M sulphuric acid, 0.5M sulphuric acid with10% sodium chloride and 1M sulphuric acid with10% sodium chloride were using conventional weight loss method and potentiodynamic method. The microstructure of the alloy was revealed by optical microscopy and scanning electron microscopy. It was observed that the increase in concentration of the acid caused the corrosion potential to move to more negatives values. Addition of chloride to the sulphuric acid reduces the corrosion potential, increases the current density and corrosion rates of the low carbon steel.
Olaseinde O. A, Adewuyi B. O
Carbon steel, Acidic, Acidic-chloride, Corrosion
- H. Hänninen, J. Romu, R. Ilola, J. Tervo and A. Laitinen. 2001. Effects of processing and manufacturing of high nitrogen – containing stainless steels on their mechanical corrosion and wear properties, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 117, 424-430.
- H. D. Solomon and T. M. Devine. Duplex Stainless Steels. Proceedings of Conference on Duplex Stainless Steels, Metal Park, 1983, pp. 693-756.
- J.O. Nilssom, P. Kangas, T. Karlsson and A. Wilson. 2000. Mechanical properties, microstructural stability and kinetics of σ phase formation in a 29Cr–6Ni–2Mo–0.38N super duplex stainless steel, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, 31A, 35–45.
- A.K. Iversen .2006. Stainless steels in bipolar plates – surface resistive properties of corrosion resistant steel grades during current loads", Corrosion Science, 48, 1036–1058.
- S.S.M. Tavares, V. Moura, V.C. da Costa, M.L.R. Ferreira and J.M. Pardal . 2009. The Microstructural changes and corrosion resistance of AISI 310S steel exposed to 600–800°C, Materials Characterization, 60 (6) 573-578.
- H. Möller, E.T. Boshoff, and H. Froneman The corrosion behaviour of a low carbon steel in natural and synthetic seawaters.The South African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, 2006. SA ISSN 0038–223X/3.00 +0.00.
- P.A. Olubambi, J.H. Potgieter and L.A Cornish. 2008. Corrosion behaviour of super ferritic stainless steels cathodically modified with minor additions of ruthenium in sulphuric and hydrochloric acids, Materials and Design, 30 (5) 1451-1457.
- O. A.Olaseinde, L. A.Cornish, J.W van der Merwe and P. A. Olubambi, 2011. Electrochemical Behaviour of 2101 DSS with Ruthenium and 316 SS, 18th International Corrosion Congress, Perth, Australia. Paper 450, 2, 1541-1548 ISBN 9781618393630
- O. A. Olaseinde, J.W van der Merwe, L.A Cornish, 2014. Characterization and Corrosion Behaviour of Selected Duplex Stainless Steels in Acidic and Acidic-Chloride Solution, Advances in Chemical Engineering and Science, 2014, 4, 89-93. http://dx.doi.org/10.4236/aces.2014.41012
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 3 | May-June 2016
Date of Publication : 2017-12-31
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 127-131
Manuscript Number : IJSRST162346
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Olaseinde O. A, Adewuyi B. O, "Corrosion behaviour of low carbon steel in acidic and acidic-chloride solutions", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 3, pp.127-131, May-June-2016
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST162346